Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Got a screen-lift N7, ordered a replacement using the nexus line, great customer service. I asked the guy if there was any info for defect rates, and he ballparked 3%. Has anyone heard similar/otherwise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

The N7 can use face-recognition unlocking, is that switched on? I could imagine that needing a bit of light to work.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

Are there any more reports of screen lift in the newer N7s (32GB wifi)? I know my screen is not level; the right edge/bezel is above the screen whereas the left side of the screen is either flush or rising above it slightly. I went through a bunch of RMAs when these first came out, eventually said "gently caress it" and got a full refund. I just received this one for christmas and I really would hate to go through that again.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

The weird overswipe-bounceback effect that was driving me nuts was apparently fixed in 4.2.2,so I'm happy as a clam.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I was gifted a Nexus 7 for Christmas and I've got a warranty on it. I'm thinking about returning it, but with a refresh possibly right around the corner, is there a compelling reason to not just return it for money and purchase the next-gen N7?

Do we know if it's going to be a super-huge change worth going without a tablet and ponying up the extra 50(?) bucks for? I generally just use it to surf/read the forums/kindle books, so I'm not sure if it's an objectively good idea to trade up or if I'm just wanting the new shiny thing.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I'm returning it because I've seen some sort of screen/bezel-fuckery (it can't possibly still be the lift thing, can it?), not because I'm tired of it, so nope I'm not intending to say "I want a new one so give me money." The exchange/warranty process is a non-issue, or at least the guy I spoke to on the phone sounded alright about it seemed to think so (I may have miscalculated here!)

I wasn't sure if a new Nexus was guaranteed, but I'm trying to figure whether I'll be exchanging for a new current-gen N7, or if it'll be such an upgrade that I should do the return and wait it out/purchase next-gen.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

...but since you'll probably only get ~$150 for it, you'd might as well just hold onto it until we know definitively whether there is a new Nexus 7 and if it's a significant upgrade.

Makes perfect sense, thanks!

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 5, 2013

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

Crap, q!=e

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I'm not sure I understand how a stupid internet alias would even preclude someone from having the requisite talent to make a stable, working ROM, though? Good thing it's called CyanogenMod and not WeedlordMod, or else it'd run like crap! That said, I wouldn't be the first adopter for a new CM, either.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

Learn to sew, and stitch two cases together so that you have an inside "cover" acting as a barrier?

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

If I already submitted an order through amazon, is there any reason to cancel and order through Google? Only reason I can think is Google support or whatever, but I got the amazon protection plan (or was that a huge mistake?)

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

taqueso posted:

It does make the tablet feel much less svelte. I agree that the cover is a bit flimsy, but I figured that was normal for this kind of thin case. Has anyone tried the Poetic case that is very similar?

I actually just got this case yesterday, and it's pretty comfortable although the fake leather is like a sticker on the plastic shell. It hasn't peeled or anything but nobody's going to mistake this for a high end case. It's easy to one-hand but has jack poo poo in terms of viewing angles, so make sure you don't want a case you can prop up and watch movies on.

Turns out I was standing it upside down, I take it back this case is great.

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

Aluminum body tablet? Introducing the HTC iPad