Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I should also report that those same people should return something they paid good money for and hold the company accountable instead of hacking it with cardboard inserts.

Seriously, when Asus realized there was an obvious design flaw they should have offered unconditional refunds to everyone who bought one at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

ModestMuse posted:

I NEVER would have thought that GPS on a wifi only tablet was such a loving big priority for people that they are literally destroying their $500 devices to possibly get to work.

What the gently caress? If you need GPS on your wifi device, just buy something else. Not an iPad though. Apple also didn't think people would use GPS on their wifi model.

That poo poo is hilarious and janky looking. I actually want people to do that so if I see a piece of wire sticking out of their brand spanking new tablet I know not to interact with them, ever.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Nope. Nevermind.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Peven Stan posted:

I have root access and some kind of riced out custom ROM (Revolver 3.11) on my tablet, plus a hilarious 50% overlock (to 1.5 ghz). And you know what, it's still laggy. (And nobody seems willing to address why it scrolls faster in landscape than in portrait, a fact that resulted in several minutes of laughter when I demonstrated that Android feature to my friends)

Nearly every application is laggy. Netflix browsing is drat near unusable due to how slow it is, and when movies do play graphical glitches show up intermittently. The browser has some neat features like experimental one touch navigation but the speed is only acceptable after an overclock. I understand the yospos crew trolls this thread routinely to rile up the regulars but this is seriously the least acceptable consumer product I've owned.

It's not like I'm a total idiot; I've been reading this thread since the beginning. There is a point in any consumer electronics device where further investment in browsing SA and other forums for the best PDF reader (I use iOS devices as a benchmark for how smooth PDFs should render) reaches a point of diminishing return. This isn't running a modern game like Shadowgun. This is rendering a goddamn document.

Your situation doesn't seem typical but since you seem more interested in making hyperbolic statements instead of actually answering anyone's questions you should just save yourself and us the trouble and get an iPad. You're obviously not happy with what you have, sell it and move on.

Edit: I don't mean to be rude but you don't seem to be interested in engaging anyone in this thread on a constructive level. There are people trying to help you and all you can do is talk about how lovely Android is.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 9, 2012

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Kirk posted:

I wouldn't be so sure, I've seen a variety of android tablets and phones that like to reboot randomly (Or maybe just for fun? Do androids dream of electric sheep.....)

Regardless, the first thing he should try is going back to stock. Then if it keeps doing it he probably has a defective unit.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Nvm

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Peven Stan posted:

I've had one reboot on stock and one reboot on revolver

I mean if I have to put up a video about how janky the scrolling is in android I will do that.

It's not that no one believes you, it's that instead of helping us help you all you do is post about how lovely Android is. If you bother to read you will see that people have had very different experiences with Transformer than what you've experienced. Instead of taking the time to post a video, how about answer some of the questions that have been asked.

Edit:

randyest posted:

Can you be more specific about the types/sizes of PDFs and device/OS combinations that are giving you good results rendering big and/or complex PDFs with no problems or slowdowns? As anandtech reported and I saw to be the case, anything other than a small (<5MB) text-only PDF would nearly cripple a Xoom cr OG transformer runngingery available android version with any of the dozen or so available PDF reader apps. Load in a scanned-page PDF and the bar was lowered even more, leading to 5-10 second page transitions. Is ICS and/or the Prime any better?

I recognize that what is "fine" versus "holy poo poo unacceptable" varies from person to person so maybe someone with a prime or ICS or both or some other awesome android tab can grab a pdf from, for example, http://fullcirclemagazine.org/ and YouTube a video of loading it and changing pages? Bonus points for showing annotation and form-filling. If I can be sure those features will work well and fast I can save my company a bunch of money since we can get a really good deal on android tablets.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or advice.

For shits I just downloaded and loaded up an issue of that rag on my Galaxy Nexus (so not really a great test but its something) and it loaded up in probably about 2 to 5 seconds and worked great. Page turns were fluid as was zooming and scrolling. I'll try it on the Galaxy Tab Plus running 3.2 when I get home.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 9, 2012

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
So I loaded one of those magazines onto the Galaxy Tab 7 Plus running 3.2, completely stock. The experience was, less than awesome.

It loaded up pretty fast initially in portrait, I couldn't read the words but the first two page turns were pretty smooth then I hit a loading screen, and I kept hitting them. Each one was only about a second and a half long but that's not what I would call usable. When I turned it to landscape it didn't get any better. The tablet should have more than enough horsepower to run that stuff super smoothly, and since my phone had no problem with it, I'm going to say its honeycomb being awful.

Ezpdf for everything.

Edit: I'll post a video later when my phone is charged and also if I feel like it. It's definitely not pretty though.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n5Qfxk-x80

Made a little video of me opening a new PDF on my Galaxy Tab Plus and tooling around a bit. I apologize for the out of focusness in some parts, also when I pinch to zoom that is the camera going out of focus momentarily.

I would be very frustrated with the experience if I had to deal with PDFs on a daily basis for something like work. For me though, the most extreme PDFs I download are menus for local restaurants so it isn't really an issue for me at all.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
^^^^^^
Edit: No, it's an example. You should read my previous post on the subject where I talk about how lame it is.

Internaut! posted:

What reader app is that?

It's in the video description but it's EzPDF. If someone wants me to load up some PDFs in a different reader tonight I would be more than happy to shoot another video.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 10, 2012

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

Well played. :v:

E: Note the spacing, folks this is a joke

I don't get it :(

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I don't understand why someone can't just want an Android tablet? Did I miss something?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Crackbone posted:

The thing is, based on what Splizwarf is saying, the ipad would be better for him. He's talking about textbooks/pdfs, and we just had a several page discussion about how Android tablets seem to be a crapshoot in handling pdfs, and the new apple textbook thing is lightyears ahead of anything in the Android ecosystem right now. The reasons he said he wanted to avoid apple aren't really valid.

Yes, there are things Android can do better; but none of those are things he seems to care about.

Ah, gotcha, that's why I asked if I had missed something. There were posters suggesting the iPad other than the usual YOSPOS idiots. I have to say the ICS Prime seemed the handle them decently.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 13, 2012

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Instead of releasing the Galaxy Tab 2, Samsung should just update the Galaxy Tab Plus to ICS. It's an upgrade in software only ffs, never change Samsung.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
As it is a beta product I'm sure features like that will be added, not Flash though.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Deuterieux posted:

Flash mobile is dead. I'm not sure why Flash support is even considered a feature anymore.

As has been pointed out, people do use it. Since I've been using the Chrome browser I've run into a few instances where I yearned for flash.

Of course in one of those instances when I switched to Browser+ flash didn't even work, but yea, it's flash. I'll be happy when it truly is dead.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Five bucks with a two star rating?

I'll stick to flash for now.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

wandler20 posted:

Is there any plan for Samsung to upgrade the Tab 8.9 to ICS?

There is, the real question is when it will happen and if it will be before the heat death of the universe.

My money is on no.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I to hate when manufacturers give me more options. So irritating, especially if it isn't useful to me!!!

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

The option is fine, for those who can make use for it, great. Its making it the prime feature and selling point that gets embarrassing.

Example 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgfknZidYq0

I cannot argue with this, what an awful awful ad. Android manufacturers have to be some of the worst at making ads. Holy poo poo.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
HTC Flyers are going for 199 today on buy.com according to Android and Me. That's a decent price I suppose though the specs aren't great.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I'm sure they'll announce Jelly Bean at IO but I would be shocked if they actually release it in Q2.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Sorry, wrong thread.

Android Tablet Megathread: Guys iOS5 Runs Great on the 3GS

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So I just traded my laptop to my parents for my old gaming rig so I can play Diablo 3. Now I need something I can take to my friends' houses and chill on my bed with. The Samsung Galaxy 7.0 Plus is in my price range and looks pretty. Is it worth the money?

I love mine! I got it on Amazon as a lightning deal and haven't looked back. Honeycomb ain't great but it's 3.2 and I've had few issues and 0 big issues as far as the OS goes. The hardware is nice and the Exynos screams.

Ignore the trolls.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

I'd just wait for the ipad 3

Well I'm shocked.

Truly.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

Pretty much! The price of android tablets are likely to drop when it comes out. But no, I must be a YOSPOS troll cause I dared to mention anything made by Apple.

I stopped trying to decide whether your posts are your normal troll posts or your token content post a long time ago. It doesn't help that your content posts are usually vague and unhelpful enough that they could be considered trolling.

Prices might go down after the iPad hits, honestly I would say ICS is more of a reason to wait than 30 bucks off cause of a new iPad. I can just say I've enjoyed my Tab Plus and can't wait till it gets ICS.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Kynetx posted:

What is it about ICS that compels you to recommend people avoid an entire hardware cycle?

It has nothing to do with ICS specifically and everything to do with the fact that Android isn't iOS.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Oh hey, the weekly Transformer Prime discussion is happening, maybe the thread won't get shut down this time!!

So I built a new desktop and I was tooling around with Splashtop HD and that poo poo is like magic. I know there are people who use that kind of stuff every day but holy crap it's awesome to remote into my compy from my tablet.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Vagrancy posted:

RMA/Replace the device, you've got a faulty battery/sensor:

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-tab-support-troubleshooting/402396-samsung-galaxy-tab-7-battery-issue-solution.html

Yea do this, I don't see battery drain like that on my Tab Plus. In fact I can go a few days with normal use before I have to plug it in. Something don't sound right at all.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

ZShakespeare posted:

Or it has a misbehaving app running in the background.

This is a good point, download better battery stats and see if something isn't keeping it awake. You could also try a factory reset.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Glimm posted:

I hope this thing has a GPU capable of handling those pixels.

Ahahahaha!

Isn't the GPU in the Tegra 3 similar to the one in the Tegra 2? I though benchmarks showed that it wasn't much of an improvement.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I'm sure the YOSPOS crowd will hate it but I think that's a pretty nifty solution to the issue of "my phone is in my tablet."

Only if the stylus comes with the dock and has a happy home in the dock. Otherwise lol.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Jesus Christ Samsung/Verizon, 500 bucks for the Galaxy 7.7 ON CONTRACT?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

Careful with that :can:, please don't spill it everywhere.

Pfft, you know we're all going to have to sit through another lecture about how iTunes works and how we are all plebes.

I'm pretty disappointed with most of the tabbys shown off so far at MWC. The Transformer Infinity is nice but beyond that not much else piques my interest. I was really hoping to see something about the Asus 7 inch tablet but I'm sure they'll end up telling us we all just imagined it.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
^^^^
What he said though. I love mine even though its on HC.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Just noticed the Samsung Galaxy 7.0 Plus just dropped $50 to $300 at Best Buy. The only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is ICS. Do you think it'll ever get an ICS update?

I love mine and it will, eventually. Probably.

Samsung has said it will. Take that as you like.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
But they've chaaaaanged!!!

I bought my Tab Plus knowing it was on HC and knowing what that meant. Any upgrade it sees is a bonus.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Rastor posted:

I think that's referring to the bullshit BGR rumor from back in December.

I really hope Samsung isn't banking on the lackluster tablets they've shown so far this year competing with the iPad on any level. I mean, I'm sure there are a lot of people itching to get their paws on a thicker heavier version of the original Galaxy Tab 10.1....wait.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Ciabatta posted:

But... but it comes with a stylus. Serious question, what are the differences between the Tab 10.1, Tab 2 10.1, and Note 10.1? Writing/using the stylus on the Note is better, right? Is that software or actually different screen? Anything else? Was the Tab 2 10.1 getting expandable storage?

The only difference I can see between this years Tab 10.1 and last years is that this years has an Exynos (only in some variations I'm sure) and ICS where as the original Tab 10.1 came with the Tegra 2 and HC. The new one is also thicker and heavier.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, the new Tab 2 has the Exynos. Honestly though, that's a pretty significant upgrade over the Tegra 2.

Not if your name is Joe Consumer and you're looking at it next to the iPad 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

I don't know the difference between an Exynos and a Tegra 2 or whatever, because I shouldn't have to.

What I do know is that my Galaxy Tab 10.1 runs crappy on Honeycomb and from my perspective the new model looks like Samsung saying "Oh you want a current OS? Go buy this one instead."

Exactly.

It would be one thing if Samsung was in Apple's position, then they could half rear end product updates and expect people to blindly buy them. Thing is they aren't, they can't afford to half rear end it like this.