Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

docbeard posted:

I need to get a new USB charging cable for my 2012 Nexus 7. Is there anything specific I should look for, or will any old USB - Micro USB cable do?

Any cable will work, but for some reason (at least in my experience) Micro USB cables never last long. Buy two from monoprice.com - they warranty their cables for life, so if one stops working, you've got a spare to use in the time it'll take to get a replacement. Best part is you get the two cables for the same price you'd pay for a single cable at someplace like Best Buy - even after shipping costs.

Alehkhs posted:

Are there any cases out there for the 2013 N7 that are as rugged (or more rugged) than the Otterbox Defender-series case?

I went with the rooCase Executive for mine - it's not the most svelte case, but it has a feel to it that tells me that I could drop it from holding height and not have to worry. I also like how it has the appearance of a personal organizer instead of a "I AM A TABLET, PLEASE STEAL ME" look to it.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

SirSigma posted:

I got a Nexus 7 today. I really like it so far, but I'm keeping the option of returning it open, since last week, I purchased a ThinkPad and returned it this Monday because I didn't feel like I could use it much.

But that's not what I'm posting here about. If I decide to keep it (it's looking likely so far), what high quality cases would you guys recommend? I ask you guys because the XDA forum for accessories is a mess and if it's anything like the HTC One's accessory forum, it's going to be full of people using condom-thin cases that don't protect from anything, or saying their low quality case from Hong Kong is great.

I've got nothing but good things to say about the rooCase Executive. It feels really 'drop friendly.' The only negative is that I'm a bit loathe to keep the tablet *on* when I have it zipped up completely, and leave a vent hole open in the bottom by not zippering the case fully closed. It also makes it look like a personal organizer or journal instead of a tablet.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

FSTrim requires root, though - so if that wasn't the first thing you did, you'll have to do it.