Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dusty
Nov 30, 2004

goons.jpg

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/culture/6283608/Hobbit-casting-call-in-capital

quote:

The bulky, the skinny, the short, the tall, and those with ''character faces'' - your time has come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Victoria debating is stuffed with hard right Rogernomes. "Team freedom" et al

dusty fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 19, 2012

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

ClubmanGT posted:

Uh a significant number secondary school leavers can't read or write

This. This pisses me off no end. Poorly punctuated jabs at the education system. Le sigh.

As someone who has worked in a adult literacy field I can assure you that the NZ school system churns much the same number of people with literacy problems as the rest of the English speaking world. We have a "literacy problem", but it's the same size as the problem in Australia and England.

But please, don't let your lack of understanding of literacy, let alone the education system, stop you from parrotting right-wing talking points.

edit/Education Counts has some well written and detailed analysis of the latest survey. Go read - the whole thing is a fascinating look at literacy, and its place in our society (education system/labour market et al) with lots of context.

http://www.educationcounts.govt.nz/publications/literacy/5731

Education Counts posted:

The comparison of international data must be interpreted cautiously. While every attempt was made to ensure the rigour of the methodology, it is not always possible to eliminate all differences between countries’ samples using statistical methods. Inter-country comparisons must also take into consideration the range of different population contexts which influence literacy. These include different educational and training experiences, differing levels of dominant-language speakers, and differing age profiles. The specific mix of migrant groups, people who have been educated at home and abroad, as well as those who have recently completed qualifications, and those who may have completed their schooling many decades ago is unique to each country. Having said this, comparisons do allow a degree of benchmarking and highlight similarities and differences between countries.
In comparing countries’ mean scores on prose literacy, only Sweden and Netherlands had significantly higher scores than New Zealand8. Ireland, Poland, Switzerland (French), Switzerland (German) and the United Kingdom all had mean scores significantly lower than New Zealand’s (Figure 8). It is interesting to note, however, that the results for European/Pakeha New Zealanders compare closely with those of the Netherlands’ population.
The results were not as encouraging for the other two domains. Belgium (Flemish), Canada, Germany, the Netherlands and Sweden all had significantly higher mean scores in document literacy than New Zealand, while only Ireland and Poland had mean scores that were significantly below that of New Zealand (Figure 9). All other countries had significantly higher mean scores than New Zealand in quantitative literacy, with the exception of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the United States, where there were no significant differences, and Poland, whose mean score was significantly lower than that of New Zealand

dusty fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 29, 2012

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Trouble Man posted:

Just visiting MY GIRLFRIEND's mother in hospital, where she is recirving tens of thousands of dollars worth of care at a total cost to her of 21 dollars so far. It's not all bad in New Zealand.

I have a family member who gets a thousand dollar syringe per fortnight; it costs $12 a year. But this aint the NHS. We need dental coverage for people over 18+.

My reasoning: dental grads have $150,000 student loans and good international prospects; minimum wage starts @ $13hr. Unless one of these preconditions change poor people aren't going to have any level of dental care at all.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

ClubmanGT posted:

From what I can tell, 14% of students leave school without hitting NCEA Level One literacy requirements. Forgive me for wanting everyone to be able to read and write.

The reality is worse than you think. 42% of adult NZers have such a low level of literacy that they are unsafe/unfit to be in the workplace.

The point being however, that this isn't exceptional. You've failed to understand the context of the problem, and are freaking out about outcomes wihtout understanding what you're looking at.

The fact that only 14% of students leave school without hitting NCEA Level 1 literacy requirements is a minor miracle. 20% of children live in poverty, NZ funds child education waaaay under the OECD average, we score in the top handful of nations.

And you're taking an Anne Tolley shaped poo poo on NZ schools?

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

ClubmanGT posted:

I'm arguing for better resourcing of the education system. You seem to think I'm talking about reverting to Thatcherism. You can keep the whole :byodood: thing going as long as you want, but this is boring.

No, I quoted your post and engaged your "point" about school leavers' literacy. If this isn't what you think D&D is for then I'm not sure why you started a thread here, let alone why you made the post that I quoted.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

ClubmanGT posted:

There seems to be a trend in this thread where anyone who criticises anything gets told "But this report said it's the best in the world", like wanting even better outcomes is some sort of huge faux pas. It makes literally no sense. But keep talking down to me about the purpose of D&D or whatever.

I'm trying to hold your criticism to account. The criticism you dropped was a shallow right wing talking point and ignored any context of the problem, let alone defined it; hence it is "talking point" as opposed to well reasoned argument.

I've given you a bit to chew on with a couple of studies (IALS+PISA) and a link to a well researched lobby group. Go and do some readin'. I'd love to start engaging with informed criticism of our education system. I've pointed out that the NZ system is succeeding in spite of adversity, rather than failing despite it.

But you don't want to talk about your argument, because you realise you have someone here who might be interested in what you're trying to say. Heaven forbid that you be expected to know what you're talking about, you'd rather just investigate the nestled folds of your large intestine to see what nuggets of wisdom you've secreted.

TLDR/ Dropping a criticism and then not backing it up is the definition of making GBS threads then running.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

open24hours posted:

It really was a pretty simple point.

The NZ education system produces a significant number of graduates with poor literacy skills, thus the NZ education system needs to be improved.

This is as facile as pointing out that sick people will die in hospitals ergo our hospitals need to be improved.

The "simple point" is actually rather a complex point. The "significant number" of graduates with low literacy is actually much lower than one would expect looking at the desultory inputs: teacher remuneration/training, school funding, child wellbeing et al.

quote:

The percentage of illiterates produced by other countries has nothing to do with it.
WhyNZersSeemSoDumb.txt?

What on earth could international comparison show us? It shows us how well our system works. Perfect education of every human being isn't an option; we need to know what outcomes a "good" school system generates.

I've been showing how international evidence suggests that our schools are actually close to world's best despite being funded on the smell of an oily rag, and dealing with the long malingering tail.

On the other hand you may have a gut feeling you'd like to share?

dusty fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 29, 2012

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Speaking to more knowledgeable people in the area, many mentioned that English is an unpleasant bastard of a language to learn. Plus the fact that the English speaking world tends to shun learning a second language which aids literacy in a first langauge.

I've tried Google scholar, but nothing is coming up. Maybe it's a lie us white people tell ourselves to make us feel good about not learning Maori or Chinese or whatever. :smith:

For anyone not completely disinterested The Finland Phenomenon is worth for an introduction to the best school system in the world. No testing. Short school days. The reason I bring it up is that all the kids (12-17yr olds) in the film are interviewed in English (3rd language gawd drat).

What the film reinforces is that the success of the system is built upon a highly skilled and professional workforce. Teacher development is very well funded and supported, with mentoring structured into career advancement. This is worrying because the average age in the NZ staffroom is getting into the fifties (iirc), and we import too many low quality migrant teachers.

dusty fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jan 29, 2012

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

open24hours posted:

Being close to the world's best means nothing if schools are still producing graduates that are illiterate. If a school can produce a graduate that is illiterate and be considered to be among the world's best then being among the world's best can't be anything to be proud of.

You are being irrational. You realise that in your idealised education system nooone is bad at maths? Do you think this is possible?

Some people never learn to read. Some people never learn to talk. All we can ask society to do is make as much lemonade as possible with the lemons we give it.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

I've chopped down your post to the nub I think:

ClubmanGT posted:

NZQA stats tell me that a little over 10% of kids leave secondary school without NCEA Level One literacy requirements. You say this is quite good, relative to overseas system and our level of funding. All I'm saying is that we should improve that level of funding, so that the education system isn't producing outcomes in spite of itself.

We're basically on the same page here, but please take my 'the number of illiterate school leavers' talking point as one that is in favour of better resources for schools, not 'teachers/educators are poo poo and should be sacked/paid less', okay?

NCEA is the wrong tool to look at here. By it's very nature (a certificate of achievement) it will discriminates against non-achievers. To a degree the number of people who fail to attain it is merely reflective of where the level of achievement that is set in a particular year.

What does a certificate of achievement in literacy/coomunications stand for if every kid can achieve it? Nada. Which is why NCEA was so vehemently opposed upon introduction as it was thought it might be a certificate for showing up and eating lunch. Hearing complaints about non-achievement a few years down the track is quite ironic.

Personally, I'm dubious about looking towards NCEA for any meaningful understanding of population performance, especially literacy. It simply is the wrong tool.

Forinstance how to reconcile the NCEA non-achievement rate with the UNDP who recognises NZ as 99% literate? You can't so don't try. Just smile - that 99% literate is a good rule of thumb. "Most people can read, right?" No.

The longer answer is... longer. Literacy is a nuanced subject. It used to be readin' n' writin', but has now expanded to encompass a wider group of communicative skills - listening, speaking, problem solving, numeracy, computer literacy (god help me). Plus, the demands society places on people are exponentially higher than in the past. 50 years ago only the stupidest people could get a job digging ditches using a spade; today a ditch digger will have a heavy machinery licence and use GPS to get precise coordinates. Pre-WWII 60% of the school kids left after primary, nowadays only a handful get out before they are 16. So we're wanting exponentially more kids skilled up on exponentially more complex forms on literacy. I'm sure we'll do fine.

So taking this more advanced view of literacy, how do we do? More precise measurements show us as being around 43% of 16-65 year olds with "poor" literacy. This is a big bad figure, yes. But it isn't exceptional. This is an outcome that the entire English speaking world shares.

My problem with your original post is that it dovetailed with a lot of bluster like this:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/3922718/Minister-blasts-poor-Kiwi-literacy-rates

Steven Joyce posted:

More than a million New Zealand adults are being held back because they lack essential literacy and numeracy skills, the tertiary education minister says.

Speaking today at a symposium for literacy and numeracy for adult educators, Tertiary Education Minister Steven Joyce said it is the government's priority to improve New Zealand's track record in this area.

"We have this worrying statistic ... that there are more than a million Kiwi adults lacking the essential literacy and numeracy that they need.

"It's holding them back from the contribution they could otherwise make.

And here's what really pisses me off. Steven Joyce is the same minister who reduced funding for literacy amongst adults - around a 25% cut IIRC over 4 years, and this in a sector that is hugely oversubscribed, and run on the goodwill of a volunteer workforce. What a sociopathic chunt.

Yet these bad sounding statistics are used over and over to show how our school system is in crisis, and the only thing that can save it are National Standards and Charter Schools. I just really dispise the National Party vision of education, there simply isn't any understanding there. They scrapped the funding for Gifted and Talented - there is no additional funding in place for assisting chidren at the top of the curve anymore.

Sorry if I went in a bit hard on you, but know I burn with righteous anger. :argh:

For the Goons in here I've had a very satisfactory off-the-record gripe session with the a CEO of a major NZ tertiary organisation. In his opinion "Tolley is a loving numpty" who doesn't understand the first thing about literacy. Ahhh, it feels so good to write that down.

NationalPartyBrighterFuture.txt

dusty fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 29, 2012

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

open24hours posted:

I don't think having everyone who finishes school being able to read and write is some sort of lofty, unreachable goal.
Please enlighten me. I've shown how the status quo is entrenched, and given some demonstration as to at the scale of the problem. It is the definition of lofty and unreachable. Reading comprehension fail?

Can you please give some insight as to what informs your post? Or are you, you know, talking out of your illinformed arse?

dusty fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 29, 2012

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

open24hours posted:

Fair enough, but you can do something about the current crop of students. If over ten percent of them can't even manage to type out a 200 word essay with unlimited attempts then it's a sorry state of affairs.

It can also be indicative of deeper problems. A child who is abused on the weekend might not have their mind on learning during the week, poor housing and associated illnesses blah blah...

In other words nothing that couldn't be fixed by a hearty dose of boostraps served up at the nearest Charter School.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

open24hours posted:

This is just passing the buck. If New Zealand can't make do with an approach targeted solely at education then they need to try a more inclusive strategy that takes a students home life into account.

What incentive do you have to defend the NZ education system anyway?

Well no poo poo, of course education can't fix it.

But hey, we love locking up prisoners so much we don't properly fund the schools that breed them.

There's a lot of frustration in childhood sectors that good evidence based programs have been ignored as they they are expensive. I'm interested in how Whanau Ora pans out - I'm cynical, but open minded.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

So the asset sales may not be as straight forward as John Key had hoped and the Maori Party may potentially block it in accordance with the Treaty of Waitangi, which is possible thanks to the SOE Act of 1986.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10782277

There's no way National will by stymied here. Asset sales has turned out to the biggest policy message that National has. "Yes we'll sell the assets; but this time it's only a bit, we'll do it smartly, we'll sell to NZers". If you drill down I reckon the vibe in the electorate is that they're barely OK with assett sales cause JK will get us a good deal like he did on the crown limos.

How impotent would JK look if his big ticket item gets stuffed by the House? It aint going to happen.

Key has a lot of incentive to get the Maori Party on board then, and remember the Maori Party are all but retired and out of wind. On the way out the door the only thing they can really achieve is to scoop as much action as possible towards the big tribal-corps. They'll use words and language of the protest movement, but will vote noliberal as they see it as an opportunity to drive money towards Maori interests. Whanau Ora is an example of using a social program to inject a lot of money into Maori businesses - it also fits perfectly with the private provider model that the Right would like to expand. There's a lot of synchronicity there. Auntie Tariana would love to see her legacy as a flourishing Maori economy, and it might be easier to pump some money around to key Maori players than to try and lift Maori kids out of poverty.

IMHO the MP can only posture - once there is enough honey in the sweetheart deal the tribal corps be will be offered, they'll find it in their hearts to compromise.

It's not like we're flogging off the North Island forests, we're supposed to be selling a short list of assets - any potential treaty claims involving those should be able to fit on a shortlist as well, which might not turn out to be that big a deal: maybe rivers or land? Treaty Clauses are viewed as some sort of metastised cancer which might spread if not cut out, Tony Ryall wont wanna let the big policy prize get infected.

Here's what I came here to post - last time a Dunedin school lost this many kids it involved a shooting. Is anyone more familiar with this?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10782362

quote:

Rotary Park School in Dunedin began its 2012 year with 13 pupils yesterday, down about 80 per cent from the 66 enrolled at the end of last year.

About half a dozen parents gathered outside the school for a "solidarity march" to highlight their concerns about principal Carmel Casey, who has been the focus of allegations of incompetent teaching practices and staff bullying at the school.

The small group of parents met Ministry of Education-appointed commissioner Cleave Hay, Mrs Casey and Dunedin South Labour MP Clare Curran to discuss some of the issues.

After the meeting, Mr Hay said he believed the school could stay open with 34 pupils.

"There are smaller schools around than that."

His main priorities now were to create better channels of communication for parents and to try to bring pupils back to the school.

Mr Hay said it was too early to say if the school was still viable on the strength of yesterday's turn out because some pupils might return.

dusty fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 31, 2012

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

I'll bet you someone from opposition is going to bring this up and say something along the lines of "Promising to sell of assets are we? You didn't even bother to check the legality of it, you wally!"
Followed by a standing ovation from Labour caucus and a high five with Chris Hipkins. :downsbravo:

Key won the battle of ideas. Labour found out how unpopular it was, but still couldn't get laid. They just didn't have anything meaninful to add after JK's "we'll sell em off and it'll be fine" assurances. "B...B...B... but it's an asset sale and you'll be screwed on power prices by a private company rather than a government one!"

I'd love to be proven wrong but I predict the assett sale will go smoothly. JKs a very well prepared politician - he didn't expect Winston, but he'll have prepared some strategies in case Phil Goff got a bump from a rugby world cup loss for example.

edit -

This just in lol "Maori Party may quit Government" http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10782403
Dig through the the article and you get a hint of what the solution will be.

NZHerald posted:

Ms Turia said today that the issue was similar to the foreshore and seabed issue for Maori.

"If it comes down to the wire, the Maori Party will have to consider its position with the Government."

I too recall the "glorious victory" the Maori Party claimed over the seabed issue. They rolled over and gave up on everything but the most flimsy tokenistic points. Note how the article doesn't mention if they have any issues beyond consultation, seems like they're A-OK with selling stuff off providing the right boxes get ticked.

dusty fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 31, 2012

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

It can easily be framed as "Key pushing a policy without thinking too hard about it," much like how suddenly we probably won't be back in surplus in 2014~15 because Key apparently just noticed what's happening in the EU zone is being framed.

National's strategy is to fight for those swinging low-info voters. Lots of their work fits this template - Tony Ryall manages the health syste around two indicators: waiting lists for voluntary surgery and emergency waiting times. See what I mean?. Every time he opens his mouth he'll mention those two things and how they are improving.

Our health system is much more than these two indicators. He's made big cuts in the mental health sector and primary health to free up money to persue those two indicators. He's totally ontop of his game and this is how he makes sure that the news coming out of the health sector is good news for the government.The CTU has calculated that the Health system has been getting funded below the rate of health-inflation, so some areas have faced real cuts leading to worsening outcomes.

Credit to Ryall, he's a loving master.

As to what this means for EU et al. I really don't know. Bill English has pointedly said he'll be persuing big cuts this term, and we'll need them to to get back in the black without any new badnews from the EU.

Re Mana-
I really like Hone. The more he talks about stuff the smarter he seems. He's grown an awful lot in the last 3 years. I've saved some of the pre-election Mana Party advertising because Hone comes across as some sort of wise benevolent philospher-king.

dusty fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 31, 2012

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Also dusty, you said Key is a very well-prepared politician - that may be so in other cases but with this one, if he had prepared properly in the first place, maybe he wouldn't be in this current situation in regards to the asset sales. The fact that this happened, and that the Maori Party has found itself in a position that it has to stand up to the National Party or risk complete annihilation in its own constituency, has been a pretty big gently caress-up on the part of Key.

I can't figure out how the maths has changed. The Maori Party announced early how they'd be playing this and I can't see how their position has changed.

Pita Sharples in late november.

Pita posted:

Co-leader of the Maori Party Pita Sharples has reiterated Maori Party policy on the proposed sale of asset sales.

"We do not support asset sales. I want to make that quite clear.

Dr Sharples also clarified comments about if asset sales were to proceed, what the proposed role of iwi should be.

"If privatisation of state owned assets occurs it must be managed in a manner that is consistent with Te Tiriti o Waitangi.

"I have said publicly that if Government was ever to be at the point of considering asset sales, then I would expect the first conversation about the process to be with iwi, as the Treaty partner".

"While our party position is that we oppose the sales of assets, we are also placed with the responsibility of advancing the best position for our constituency - and unlike other parties - that means we need to listen and respond to the proposals our constituents put forward to parliament".

"If iwi decide accordingly, then our position is that the Maori Party will support iwi who wish to invest into state-owned assets as a means of retaining New Zealand ownership".

Everyone has known for the last 3 months the MP position, and they know they aren't needed for bill to pass.

Maui St has better insights then me. He thinks this might be the MP resisting the quiet euthanasia it faces as part of a national coalition. This might be their last chance to go out and fight credibly for the Maori electorates - their compettion is to the left (Labour) or further left with a dose of tinorangatiratanga (Mana). The Maori Party know that keeping the status quo means smoothing the pillow for a dying [electoral] race.

The last thing Turei and Sharples will want to do is give up the crown limos. This "bring down the gubmint" nonsense is the last vestigial twitch; a fart from deep inside the impacted bowels of the Maori Party which is the closest thing they have to a spine.

dusty fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 1, 2012

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

I never said that the Maori Party has sprung this out of nowhere. I was well aware of their position and I'm sure I saw Tariana Turia say something like the quote you supplied during one of the minor party leader debates. I was questioning whether or not Key actually had properly prepared for this and the potential damage it can cause, however small it may be. I'd wager that our of this entire affair, this is what gets remembered, rather than the final outcome.

drat good point. John Key was able to stich that coalition deal together with the same amount of effort he reserves for his morning piss.

I wonder what the link to TPK is? Seems very last minute.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Flavell is the only one with any real skin in game - which is why he's suddenly interested in appealling to the electorate. Reading between the lines I'd pick Pita is the only one wanting to support National - hence the good cop routine. There was talk of Flavell wanting to roll him earlier this year iirc, so clearly all is not copacetic below the surface of the party.

I enjoy reading schtick like this:

Tariana posted:

I am not one prone to idle threats.
In light of the Maori Party's complete capitulation over the Seabed & Foreshore - if they hadn't been so eager to abandon the position of tinorangatiratanga on the beaches I'd have taken them seriously. Tariana loving loves the crown limos.

Though Paddy Gower on the telly was claiming that due to the sale including water and generating capacity that these supposedly limited asset sales could be seen as a bloody big loss to Maori if they lose rights they currently enjoy.

I still think that Tariana lying though - all they are doing is pushing the price higher for JK, he knows that they'll jump on with the right incentive. Except he'll choose to describe as "elegant".

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

miss_chaos posted:

I'm not sure so about that. Tariana Turia deeply despises the Labour Party from a personal perspective and that's pretty much the only reason the Maori Party keep sticking it to them.

Turia is fueled on nothing but bile and spite; her hatred for Labour is something else. And fair enough too in a way: Labour proper-hosed the foreshore (with opposition coming from everyone: rednecks, greens, Maori, academia; infact anyone who wasn't a Labour MP at the time. What's the last substantive push Labour made for Maori - the 4th Labour Gvt canned their headline social policy Closing the Gaps, so in my estimation you'd have to go back to historical claims in 1985.

I was pleased when the Maori Party split with Labour, it's just a shame they turned out so rubbish. The problems the Maori electorate faces deserves better representation than they've had up till now. Tonight on 3 I was treated to the most hilarious thing I've seen in some time - Harawera leaning down the camera lense, wagging the finger and telling it straight to the Maori Party to walk away from the coalition. It's great loving TV, and it's a great little moral delema: walk away and stay true, or sell it out to the man.

But seriously, why the hell would she walk away? She's got it all planned out. Great job, great benefits, the satisfaction of knifing departments you hate, it's champagne and caviar compared to the poorly paid opposition benches.

But just think: Flavell isn't a leader, he isn't a minister, and he is running for reelection. What would you do?

dusty fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 6, 2012

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Headline policy for the Maori Party: taxpayer funded family reunions.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/6378062/Whanau-Ora-a-waste-of-money

A lot of people hate Winnie, but gently caress-me is he a good opposition MP. Where the gently caress where you Labour?

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

ClubmanGT posted:

I'd prefer not to take lessons in separatist politics from the guy who rallied against an Asian invasion, was Foreign Affairs Minister when we signed a FTA with China and is now rallying against Government policies on asset sales to the Chinese.

Yeah, the messenger and all that.:barf:

But gently caress me if I'm not surprised about the emergence of stories that Whanau Ora might be poorly run.

And even funnier that it is Winston railling about it. Last year Phil Goff was claiming that Labour would win all 7 seats of the Maori electorates. Witness the hard work of the Labour MPs everybody! :downsbravo:

It could be that this is an example of confirmation bias.

dusty on January 30 2012 posted:

I'm interested in how Whanau Ora pans out - I'm cynical, but open minded.

Or maybe Winston Peters is a goon

dusty fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 7, 2012

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

ClubmanGT posted:

In short: gently caress anyone here who buys into the ARE COUNTRY poo poo when it comes to refusing to at least try new initiatives to help people we hosed based purely on their race.
This. This is why it was a tragedy that Labour abandoned Closing the Gaps. Fixing poor, sick and abused kids shouldn't be a "nice to have" that get abandoned when talkback radio starts misconstrueing it and the opposition starts getting headlines.

I disagree with some of what you wrote - I think that the solutions to negative wellbeing statistics of Maori kids are pretty much understood and accepted by all experts*. But it'll be expensive, which is why small-budget bandaid solutions like Whanau Ora get floated in the first place.

But if Whanau Ora has been paying families money to run ongoing family reunions then who can defend that? John Key it seems.

*expensive solutions like 1st world housing, lifting incomes of Maori kids (through wage or welfare increases), more doctors, more teachers, better schools, heaps more social workers, a lower unemployment rate for youth, way better mental health services, better drug and alchohol support services for parents... None of this is rocket science or something that would require a new solution. Apart from finding the money that is.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

miss_chaos posted:

Speaking of liability, is someone with any legal nous able to explain what happens next re the CTV report? Can families sue?

The police can lay criminal charges

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Sue Kedgley has retired and there is no mention of homeopathy on the policy section of the Green Party website so presumably you can calm down now.

I get all :smuggo: just imagining how hosed off angry parents must get when they are stopped handing out a smacking by the nannying hand of Sue "That Bitch" Bradford. I just can't stop smiling at those strung out mums and dads: screaming child in one hand, their other curled by impotent rage into a fist.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Wellington's bus system is fantastic compared to the rest of the country, if you live out of the CBD you should bus. I get the thrilling sight of Russell Norman, Guyon Espiner and other D-grade Wellington celebrities on the bus.

There's not enough room in this tiny wonderful city for every fuckhead to get a carpark all day.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Torka posted:

Overall the coverage is decent, but there are still some weird gaps. I'm looking at moving at the moment and I recently had to turn down a nice affordable place in Owhiro Bay because the bus service into town consisted of 3 buses per day on weekdays, all between 7 and 9am, and nothing on weekends. :geno:

There's a review on at the moment - http://www.gw.govt.nz/wellington-city-bus-review/

Gonna get on my submit :science:

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Best blog post of the year so far - DimPost suspects rash of negative Green stories appearing on Kiwiblog is indicative of internal National polling shows leak to Greens.

http://dimpost.wordpress.com/2012/02/22/the-tell/

I miss the old days of Kiwiblog, when it was more racist and had more pictures of tits.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

FYI for those that didn't know, Rosemary McLeod is Vernon Small's cross-dressing alter ego. She is supposed to be satirical, so she has that creepy fascination with other people's private parts as well as her well worn schtick about pubescent girls at Catholic schools.

dusty fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 23, 2012

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

What in the gently caress warranted the Auckland Council wasting $200,000 on legal fees regarding Occupy Aotea Square? $14,000 to repair some grass? These fuckers need to be fired.
I'm kind of the mind that "occupation" per se isn't a legitimate form a of protest. Protest is AOK; bring all the signs, loudhailers, inflatable rats you can muster. Stick it to the man as hard as you like, you just gotta arrive at the venue at 6am with the other early bird commuters.

Why is occupation needed in our liberal democracy?

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

I dropped past Wellington a few times to soak up the mauri a few times.

I believe strongly that we must nurture valid political expression, and I'm comfortable we limit it: genital mutilation.

I don't think the Occupy localles could make a case for a continuing a legitimate occupation in places like Aotea when it's down to only the hardened veterens and the genuinely unwell. Occupy must show credible engagement to be taken seriously.

In our local context I thought they overstayed their priviledge to our common grounds. And especially as arguably, many of the bigger and more genuine problems of the UK and US don't apply.

So for Ratios and Tendancy - Occupy London? Great. Occupy Aotea? Not so much.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

quote:

I'm not sure $640 million spread across 100+ state sector agencies can be classed as "massive cuts everywhere" in every department. It works out to an average of around $5m-ish per department stretched over three years, some with budgets of several billion a piece, if my reading of the figures is correct.

That $640million is divorced from any context - pointing at a solitary big figure from the comfort of your armchair cant tell you if it's gently caress all, loving lots, or far too loving much.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

miss_chaos posted:

Now this should be interesting. As noted on Dim Post:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/news/article.cfm?c_id=466&objectid=10788499

If the indications that Shearer is going to move the party significantly to the right in a way that Goff was unable to due to internal pressure, I am looking forward to the internal machinations that follow :munch:

It's only in hindsight we can say Clark was strongly 3rd wave neoliberal orthodox as she held wages and benefit levels stagnant for a decade, and tinkered with government wage subsidies via WFF. Key is in much the same place on the spectrum - he has left in place the entirety of the last Labour government's spending promises, with lashings of tax cuts and privatisation around the edges (whanau ora, assett sales). Goff can be judged as trying to swing left belatedly by abandoning the reserve bank act, review of the ERA, first $5k taxfree et al.

Who the gently caress knows what Shearer thinks? Certainly not this Labour member.

quote:

That said, Labour is getting nowhere on really huge issues that actually affect people like welfare reforms and it very much needs to rethink its lines of attack. The reality is, many of National's policies are popular with the people Labour is seeking to woo. It's simply not working to oppose everything on the basis that the Government made the change.

Labour would do well to say "we accept there's need for change in welfare/government spending/whatever, but here's how we would do it" rather than screaming privatization from the rooftops at every opportunity no matter how tenuously related, and wonder why no one listens anymore. I'll be interested to see what Shearer has to say.

Labour is better off figuring out just what the gently caress it stands for. It's not going to the polls for another 3 years after all. The problem with Labour is it doesn't have a clear vision, and the public has noticed. It's not clear why Labour exists anymore - every single member I've met is to the left of the party.

Clark muddled through without trying to talk about her vision: her entire electoral appeal was built around the fact she wasn't Jenny Shipley/Ruth Richardson/Don Brash. In hindsight: at least the debt was paid down. But she left the majority of people worse off.

dusty fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 28, 2012

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Yeah, not inspiring names are they?

In defence of Margaret Wilson - I know she has done a lot work with the NZCTU over the past few years looking at how other jurisdictions set wages. Post ERA introducation NZ wages still stagnated behind Australia (relative to productivity and GDP growth) - which indicates that the labour market simply does not have the mechanisms to deliver wage increases under the status quo. Labour's 2008 election policy on labour essentially adopted the NZCTU's position.

edit/ Pararoid - Labour under Clark delivered nothing but piecemeal change. Witness the much-vaunted Cullen fund, which isn't even a 10th of the size it needs be. Witness WFF which subsidises employers by giving workers government wage subsidies. Witness civil unions, not gay marriage. Witness the emissions trading scheme.

dusty fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 29, 2012

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Brighter future.xls

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

ClubmanGT posted:

Because Labour and its supporters don't actually think they've done anything wrong. Somewhere, somehow, a Nat is responsible. Always.
Go gently caress yourself. They're undertaking a review right the gently caress now.

You might disagree with what they do, but there's 10000 members out there (of which I'm one). What a cock you are to speak for these people.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

ClubmanGT posted:

I am sorry, I must have confused the recent election where Labour was rejected by 70% of the electorate and crashed to their lowest election result in decades with something else.

But your needlessly personal and vindictive response basically proves my point, at least in your case. Labour won't change while people who believe in it aren't prepared to ever criticise it, and the party itself isn't exactly setting itself up for things they won't want to hear with their 'friends of Labour' summit.

The only thing lazier than your original post is the reply. Let me remind you - you originally blessed this thread with this uninspired turd: "Because Labour and its supporters don't actually think they've done anything wrong. Somewhere, somehow, a Nat is responsible. Always." Oh classic line broseph, here come the 5s!

But you're wrong. I presume you'd class me a "Labour supporter", and if you'd been paying attention I've been critical of the party in your own thread you dipshit.

edit

quote:

Ahahaha did you actually just claim that one post on the internet proves that every Labour voter thinks that National is responsible for all their problems?
:downsbravo:

dusty fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 29, 2012

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Varkk posted:

I get the impression that Clubman and Miss Chaos seem to think the Labour review should be conducted by Cameron Slater and Cactus Kate with maybe some help from David Farrar.
I think they're right to be cynical about the process; I know that I certainly am.

But take a moment. This year Labour have shown they want to do things differently - just take a look at the "Primary debates and speaking tour"TM that Cunliffe and Shearer embarked on this year. Sure, it was a meaningless sopp in that members didn't vote; Caucus voted alone behind closed doors. So why bother? It was an attempt by the future leadership to involve the membership.

Labour are getting closer to real crisis - all political parties run on cash and members, and Labour are desperately short on both. There will be impetus for some radical change at some point.

Also, it isn't clear what change Labour could make that would satisfy ClubmanGT forinstance. As a non-member does he really care how the Labour Party formulates its list, or how affiliate votes are used? No, he's just pissed at incompetent MPs doing incompetent poo poo.

Just imagine how awful it must be to know Maryan Street is out there saying stupid poo poo right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Found object of the day

• Locked thread