Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Is there any way to get The Croning as an ebook? Buying it in the UK consists of giving amazon £13 and hoping they decide to stock some more at some point. Any way I can give Laird my cash directly and actually receive a copy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Evfedu posted:

Is there any way to get The Croning as an ebook? Buying it in the UK consists of giving amazon £13 and hoping they decide to stock some more at some point. Any way I can give Laird my cash directly and actually receive a copy?

Night Shade will ship to the UK, so buy from them. And I'd do it quick, apparently they're still running their 50% off sale; you'll have to buy three more books (there's a four-book minimum), but they have a very nice library to choose from - get The Imago Sequence if you don't have it, for example. Or all four volumes of Ellen Datlow's The Best Horror of the Year anthologies. Or Southern Gods. Or hell, all of the above :black101:.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Hahahah $40 shipping cost for one book. Guess I'll be waiting this one out then.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Evfedu posted:

Hahahah $40 shipping cost for one book. Guess I'll be waiting this one out then.

Haha, it was like $85 for four books. Jesus, it's like they don't want international customers to buy their books direct.

Try here instead.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

fez_machine posted:

Greg Stolze writer of the excellent cosmic horror novel, The Mask of the Other is running a kickstarter for a pseudo-sequel called Whatever Happened to Lala?.

If you haven't read The Mask of the Other, it's an excellent "Three Kings" meets Call of Cthulhu type novel. You can get an electronic copy just by pledging over 6 dollars, which since the book is 5 dollars on Amazon, works out to be a buck for the short story.

This just succeeded over the weekend, so he released Lala. Thanks for the tip. Haven't gotten to read either book yet but they look interesting.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
If any other UK goons are lurking this thread, The Croning is now available as an ebook on Baen (thanks, Ornamented Death!), works out at about £3.80, kindle formatted perfectly and DRM free. Made the thought of the two massive train journeys I'm taking this weekend one to relish.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Blazed through the croning and enjoyed it a massive amount with a couple of reservations about pacing and the purpleness of the prose. Are Laird's short stories as good or better?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Evfedu posted:

Blazed through the croning and enjoyed it a massive amount with a couple of reservations about pacing and the purpleness of the prose. Are Laird's short stories as good or better?

Generally speaking they're better, likely because he's had a lot more practice writing short stories. The Imago Sequence is readily available, and while it looks like Occultation is sold out at a lot of places, that's most likely because Night Shade is about to release the trade paperback edition.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Ornamented Death posted:

Generally speaking they're better, likely because he's had a lot more practice writing short stories. The Imago Sequence is readily available, and while it looks like Occultation is sold out at a lot of places, that's most likely because Night Shade is about to release the trade paperback edition.

Where are you finding the Imago Sequence? I picked up Occultation no problem on Amazon, but they canceled my Imago Sequence order.

I will add that Occultation is very good, but I think I liked The Croning a bit better.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Dyscrasia posted:

Where are you finding the Imago Sequence? I picked up Occultation no problem on Amazon, but they canceled my Imago Sequence order.

Huh, weird. You can get The Imago Sequence direct from Night Shade (don't bother if you're not America, though; see above), but not Occultation - I'm assuming because they've sold out of the hardcover and will be releasing the TPB soonish.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
That must be it, I was hoping for The Imago Sequence hardcover edition, I just see the paperback version on NightShade.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Dyscrasia posted:

That must be it, I was hoping for The Imago Sequence hardcover edition, I just see the paperback version on NightShade.

That was an extremely limited run; I very, very rarely see copies for sale.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

Get in, and for $6 a pop on Baen Ebooks! Cheers bro.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I think that most stuff by Michael Cisco might qualify. I've only read The Tyrant, The San Veneficio Canon, and The Great Lover but they are all surreal and disorienting. I'm not going to be able to do any justice trying to give a good description other than they are a collection of nightmare imagery, dream-logic insanity, and stream-of-consciousness narration.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Thomas Ligotti's Grimscribe is now available as an ebook.

Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Noctuary will follow soon.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

One thing that seems to fit oddly well into the Cosmic Horror genre is "The Hitchhiker's Guide" series. It's basically a Cosmic Horror Comedy. The Earth is destroyed by an uncaring force, Knowledge of the scope of the universe causes insanity and the great tragedy where the protagonist loses his love happens for no real reason. It seems like it tends to hit this note much more heavily in the last book, which is probably the reason that people enjoyed it less.

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

Ornamented Death posted:

Thomas Ligotti's Grimscribe is now available as an ebook.

Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Noctuary will follow soon.

Wow - that's an awesome and unexpected surprise! Hope they'll be available in Epub format in the UK ...

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
Just chiming in here to say that I started reading Laird Barron's "Occultation and Other Stories" thanks to this thread and man...this guy's great! Thanks for the recommendation. I'm officially pretty geeked to go through all the other recommendations in here!

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
I've order the Simon Necronomicon from amazon a few days ago, after reading the Call of Cthulhu and exploring the Lovecraft universe. I wanted to know... what should i expect to find within it? The Mad Arab's story? The spells? Im just curious, because i haven't managed to get much info about it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I'm going to guess either a lot of nonsense being passed off as ~*~spooky black magic~*~ or a collection of HP Lovecraft's stories. Based on the blurb about the author, I'm leaning towards the former; you probably wasted your money, bro.

Yeah, the first review on Amazon basically spells that out. It's a fake spell book.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 30, 2012

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
Well it's ok, i do dig those creepy spells anyway :) and there is a small story on the mad arab. We'll see how it turns out to be.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I just wanted to remind everyone that The Weird came out a few weeks ago. It is, for lack of a better term, the bible of weird fiction. You can also use it to stop a bullet or beat someone to death if you really need to (it's almost 1200 pages long).

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

You can also use it to stop a bullet or beat someone to death if you really need to (it's almost 1200 pages long).

God bless eReaders for making anthologies practical. Carrying around a massive tome is a hell of a commitment.

I'm enjoying The Weird - the editor's choice in stories is phenomenal.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Vertigus posted:

God bless eReaders for making anthologies practical. Carrying around a massive tome is a hell of a commitment.

The Weird is a "house book" for me; it won't leave my house, I'll read it here and put it back on the shelf.

Hubcap Hal
Jun 20, 2003

I've read both of Barron's collections, and I've gotta say The Croning is awesome. While it didn't frighten me as much as some of his short stores, it did leave me with a feeling of uncomfortableness after finishing it. I'll never look at Rumplestilskin the same way again. It also has a bunch of connections to his prior storeies, I feel like I only caught 1/3 of them.

Looking forward to The Light is the Darkness, a previously limited editon small press book about modern day gladiators.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There was another anthology of weird fiction called The New Weird that was released a few years back.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
I've just gotten a pair of books to start off;
Necronomicon: The Best Weird Tales
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0575081570/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00
Eldritch Tales: A Miscellany of the Macabre
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0575099356/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01
Im planning on stepping into Poe's works after i finish with this books. Is there any other resource that is worth getting in regard of HP Lovecraft?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Yggdrassil posted:

Is there any other resource that is worth getting in regard of HP Lovecraft?

It sounds like those two collect pretty much all of his fiction and poetry, so you should be good to go. The only other thing I can think of is The Horror in the Museum, which collects stories Lovecraft edited and revised for other people. His level of involvement varies from simple edits to basically re-writing everything. I'm not sure if the stories in here are included in the two volumes you bought, but generally speaking these stories are kept separate from the main body of Lovecraft's work.

To go any farther with Lovecraft, you'd need to start picking up the pricier volumes annotated by Joshi, but frankly unless you're doing a major research paper on HPL, you don't need those.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Ornamented Death posted:

It sounds like those two collect pretty much all of his fiction and poetry, so you should be good to go. The only other thing I can think of is The Horror in the Museum, which collects stories Lovecraft edited and revised for other people. His level of involvement varies from simple edits to basically re-writing everything. I'm not sure if the stories in here are included in the two volumes you bought, but generally speaking these stories are kept separate from the main body of Lovecraft's work.

To go any farther with Lovecraft, you'd need to start picking up the pricier volumes annotated by Joshi, but frankly unless you're doing a major research paper on HPL, you don't need those.

Perfect :) then i'll get back to reading!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The new Charles Stross Laundry novel, The Apocalypse Codex, is out today!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Pope Guilty posted:

I preordered it months back, was out of town and forgot about it, and came back today to find it waiting on the doorstep. This is the best thing. :dance:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Yggdrassil posted:

I've order the Simon Necronomicon from amazon a few days ago, after reading the Call of Cthulhu and exploring the Lovecraft universe. I wanted to know... what should i expect to find within it? The Mad Arab's story? The spells? Im just curious, because i haven't managed to get much info about it.

I own it and have read it from cover to cover.

It's stupid.

Also, I ordered this from the internet:

I love Robert Chambers.

Shonagon
Mar 27, 2005

It is impervious to reason or pleading, it knows no mercy or patience.
That is cool, but NB you can get Chambers free on Project Gutenberg if you have a Kindle. Mind you, everything that isn't King in Yellow has been crap so far.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Was about to buy it for my kindle and found out amazon wants $16. What the gently caress amazon?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mr.48 posted:

Was about to buy it for my kindle and found out amazon wants $16. What the gently caress amazon?

It's $13 now.

Also, place the blame for the ridiculous pricing where it belongs:

quote:

This price was set by the publisher.

There was actually a big dustup a few months back where Apple and a handful of publishers got bitch-slapped by the government for colluding on ebook prices. Hopefully that means prices will begin to come down.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I preordered it on Amazon and today got an email saying that the price went down after I ordered but before it shipped, so they were refunding me 32 cents. Which... okay, I guess!

The book is pretty good! I couldn't put it down, and it builds nicely on the world of the Laundry, revealing that even Bob doesn't know as much as he thinks he knows.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Finished reading it, pretty awesome. I found it interesting that the Sleeper in the Pyramid is a recurring plot point. It seems like the events of the first two books were more separate world-building--Bob might reflect on those events, but Nazi infovores and DEEP SEVEN aren't an imminent threat anymore-- while Fuller Memorandum and now Apocalypse Codex are part of a continuing arc building up to NIGHTMARE GREEN.. The very ending when we find out that the Sleeper actually did "awaken" is pretty clear foreshadowing that this will continue.

Now to hunker down and wait for the next book which hopefully will be along in another couple of years and will put Bob deeper into the fire. I hope the balloon starts properly going up soon; as much as I like the variety of stories Stross gets out of the series, I don't want it to be a Wheel of Time thing where we wait multiple decades for the apocalyptic payoff.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Stross is way too productive and prolific a writer for me to worry about that.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It'd be interesting to see a Lovecraftian Apocalyse actually occur for once instead of being narrowly averted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

It'd be interesting to see a Lovecraftian Apocalyse actually occur for once instead of being narrowly averted

I dunno where the world of The Laundry is going, but Stross has already done that.