Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I thought I'd resurrect the thread to mention this Kickstarter project I spotted on Joe Lansdale's Facebook page, aiming to fund an unthemed horror anthology edited by Ellen Datlow. With only four days to go, it's still almost seven grand short of the $ 25,000 goal. Would be a shame for it to fail, so have a look! Aspiring writers might be interested in some of the goals that let you bypass the publisher's slush pile.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/191888411/fearful-symmetries-an-anthology-of-horror?ref=home_location

Disclaimer – I have nothing to do with this project personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Do you want to expand on this? I had a peek at your post history and saw that you have some experience/interest in the field... Are you frowning at it as a money-grab? Don't want to derail the thread too much, just wondering.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Well, Kickstarter was built as a way to show support to projects, not as a pre-order system, although that's the way lots of people now see it. You donate because you want to see the anthology made and show some love to Ellen Datlow & the writers involved – rewards are (supposed to be) secondary. If you look at it as getting the best bang for your buck, paying 500 $ to have Laird Barron use your name in a story is a pretty poor return.

Having said that, I do agree that the slush pile thing is probably going to be disappointing for many backers, but any realistic writer should know that someone reading your novel does not mean they will publish it.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Bolverkur posted:

I am this close to buying the first one on my Kindle and I need a second opinion. Most of the time these "post-Lovecraft" anthologies are mediocre and trite poo poo, so I'd rather not be completely disappointed with it. I am in the mood for reading some contemporary takes on Lovecraft's mythos, just as long as they bring something new and fresh into the mix.

I haven't read all of it yet but so far I haven't regretted the purchase. There's both older stuff (like T.E.D. Klein's "Black Man With a Horn") and fresh takes on the mythos (the much-praised "Shoggoths in Bloom") as well as some that aren't really Lovecraft-related at all ("The Men from Porlock" by Laird Barron). Some of the stories are mediocre but I'm yet to come across a horror anthology where I enjoyed all of it equally.

You can find it for cheaper than the Amazon price as well if you Google around a bit.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Barron posted on his Facebook that the Night Shade mess (read background here) is moving forward in some way, so hopefully someone will fulfill my preorder for The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All soon.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Neurosis posted:

Barron probably sucks if you like strong female or non-archetypically masculine characters.

Actually he's recently introduced a new female character who is supposed to feature in several upcoming stories. You can read the first one for free here:

http://laird-themanfromporlock.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/story-is-thank-you-to-fans-who-are.html

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

W.H. Pugmire is basically an institution unto himself for Lovecraft mythos stories.

I know the man knows his Lovecraft, but the few stories I've read from him have been really hard going. Really dense writing style without the stories to make up for it.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Hallucigenia is without a doubt a good story. Last time I was doing a re-read of Barron stuff, Mysterium Tremendum worked really well for me.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Neurosis posted:

Remind me which one Mysterium Tremendum is?

Gay dudes stumble upon evil book during camping trip, with typical Barron consequences.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Neurosis posted:

The one with the 3 tough as nails gay dudes who get in a fight? The Children of Old Leech one?

I love all the Old Leech stories. I always tell my friends to read that story (if it's the one I'm thinking of) and Hallucigenia, as an intro to Barron.

Yeah, that's the one (although the protagonist is not keen on fighting if I remember correctly).

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

I read the Wide Carnivorous Sky and it was pretty good but I don't like his stuff as much as Barron's. Langan uses a lot of "experimental" narrative tricks that can be neat when they work out, but I found they sometimes diminish the impact of the story itself. I would still recommend it for a genre fan and I think I will check out his earlier collection at some point.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Re: More Dark – I haven't really looked into it myself but this review by S.T. Joshi (which Barron linked to himself) mentions some names:

http://formerpeople.wordpress.com/2013/10/30/a-northwesterly-chill/

I was surprised by the sour tone, I thought More Dark was just some kind of writerly goof-off.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

There's plenty of people who don't care for Barron, in this very thread even. Personally I like (most of) his stuff!

I have to admit that based on Teatro Grottesco, Thomas Ligotti doesn't really do it for me. Maybe I should have calibrated my expectations differently but I found most of it hard going. These days I do most of my reading in bed before going to sleep, and while some books keep me up, TR was perhaps the most effective literary sleeping pill I've had since Gravity's Rainbow.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

I like Barron a lot, I didn't like Ligotti very much even though I can see why some might do. The nameless protagonist overcome with nameless dread in a nameless place thing just doesn't really do it for me. I think horror as a genre lends itself better to fairly straightforward writing, which is not to say that you can't write well, but that the emotional punch required is harder to achieve through layers of literary gimmickry.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

God Of Paradise posted:

Name one Ligotti story where the protagonist overcomes anything. I've read everything the man's ever written fairly recently after rediscovering Teatro Grottesco and Conspiracy Against The Human Race on my shelves. I must admit, I picked the books up again while watching True Detective, just because Rustin Cole kept directly quoting them. I can only name two stories where anyone over comes anything.

English is not my first language, but I was using "overcome" in the sense of "overwhelmed by", not in the sense of conquering something.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Xotl posted:

I'd also note that Weird Tales, the magazine, is currently available, being published quarterly.

http://www.weirdtales.com/

Is it just me or is that site terribly designed? I clicked around opening new tabs and trying to scroll through static cover images for a minute or two before giving up.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

I'm guessing "aspie" is the part that he's taking issue to but honestly "snark" was the operative word in echopraxia's post.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

End Of Worlds posted:

Has anyone read Strantzas' Burnt Black Suns? Is it any good?

I found it a bit hit and miss - some pretty good stories, others were a slog to read and had little payoff.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

China Miéville's upcoming collection Three Moments of an Explosion has a handful of great weird/horror stories.

• "Säcken" is like Laird Barron meets Suzuki's Ring, with a couple staying at a lakeside cabin in Germany. The horror is historical and zoological in nature, hope that's tantalising enough.

• "The Bastard Prompt" is about an actress working as a standardized patient (you know, a fake patient for med students to practise on), who begins to channel symptoms of diseases not quite from this world.

• "The Rabbet" is Miéville's take on an "evil object" horror story. Not entirely original, but super creepy in its execution.

The rest of the collection (28 stories in total) is a mix of fantasy, horror, SF and general weirdness. There's some real creepy stuff in there. I recommend it!

That sounds like my kinda thing, thanks for the heads up!

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

The Terror has its moments but I felt Simmons didn't have to include every tidbit he came across in his research. Also, this may affect your reading enjoyment but try keeping an eye on how often people say something "softly" in that book. Urgh.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

"On Ice" by Simon Strantzas from the Burnt Black Suns collection should fit the bill too.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

coyo7e posted:

So I read The Light Is the Darkness and frankly, it was okay except that I really hate being dropped in media res for no particular reason, and then never really giving a poo poo or caring what happens to the characters because I'm just assumed to be into them for being boring caricatures. Are any of his other novels less - like that one?

It never really felt like horror or thriller, it was just this dude who's a cro-mag wannabe who pit-fights for ludicrous piles of money, and then archaelogy! my sister! rargh! and it was over. I kinda thought the book sucked, frankly. What of this author with a ludicrous name and image, is any good? Because if it's all about incestuous cavemen traveling through time I'd rather go read Mockingjay. I guess having an eyepatch and some big dogs gives the dude some goon cred but he really strikes me as someone I'd point and laugh at - even if I knew who they were. Laird Barron has the worst name and the worst bio-pics on his books that I've seen since early-90s-era R.A. Salvatore, and I have a hard time taking him seriously if his "horror" stories are really all about Jean-Claude Van Damme-level supermen winning everything without any real backstory and no epilogue outside of "oh I got the girl and it's my sister, we'll gently caress for eternity because I was a bad-rear end cage fighter!

So it was okay except that you hated the style, the plot, the characters, the author's name, face and... eyepatch?

I mean, it's OK to not like a writer but calm down, dude. I generally like Barron but didn't like The Light Is The Darkness very much. He's just more at home writing short stories, which are a better place to start – but perhaps you should just find someone whose photo doesn't send you into a frothing rage.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

coyo7e posted:

You seem to be projecting a hell of a lot there, man. If anybody is raging I'm thinking it's you, because I made fun of an author you really love.

Plenty of people in this thread don't care for his stuff, but what kind of constructive criticism is "Laird Barron has the worst name and the worst bio-pics on his books that I've seen since early-90s-era R.A. Salvatore"? It's his real name as far as I know, and I think the eyepatch and dogs aren't just props either.

Hell, I fully agree admit some of his bios etc. come across as a bit pretentious and I think his longform stuff is weaker than the short stories. It's the strangely personal attacks that I think are weird.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

I thought X's For Eyes had some cool bits, but having never read those boys' adventure books it apparently is a pastiche of, a lot of it fell kinda flat.

From the short stories, Mysterium Tremendum is one of my favorites that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

I'm pretty sure you're talking about John Gwynne. The only picture with a dog that Laird Barron has used as an author photo just shows him kneeling down in front of a fence with his pitbull.

I'm really not even sure how you confused the two, to be honest.

Oh myyy.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Hughlander posted:

I feel I asked this before. I had a recommendation for a weird tale. Radio telescope finds souls traveling after death to another planet where they are trapped in aliens bodies that drive them crazy due to their sense of id. Really want to reread it.

It's not this one, is it?

http://www.eldritchdark.com/writings/short-stories/167/the-planet-of-the-dead

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

I'm reading Langan's The Fisherman at the moment, about halfway through and it's been good but not great so far. There's a really long flashback / backstory bit, but because the book is in first person, the protagonist ostensibly hears it from another character. However, it's just way too detailed to ring true as a story told after the fact. Langan sort of acknowledges this with a "there were surprising details he couldn't have known" caveat suggesting supernatural elements, but I still find it a bit grating.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

Speaking of Langan, anybody read The Fisherman yet?

I finished it a few days ago, there were times when it dragged a bit (see also my earlier post on the subject) but in the end I liked it. There's some pretty cool mythology and powerful scenes. In the afterword Langan says he originally began the project ages ago, which maybe shows through at times, but I'd say it's worth a read nonetheless.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Just try not to count how often characters say something "softly". Seldom has a book so badly needed an editor.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Salem's Lot is the first book I thought of when it comes to good horror novels. For a King book, it's quite compact as well!

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Joe Hill's short story collections are pretty good.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

20th Century Ghosts is a great collection, but much like later King collections, the actual horror short stories are few and far between. For example, probably the most popular story from the collection, "Pop Art," is absolutely not a horror story.

I'll admit it's been a few years since I read them. But they should work for anyone who likes Papa King as well.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Also, what's everyone's take on Matthew Bartlett? I've tried getting into his stuff but I just find the writing style off-putting.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Rough Lobster posted:

I liked his short story collection Gateways to Abomination. It's also pretty short, so if you don't like the guys writing that might be a bonus?

That's the one I've been reading. Some nice visions but I just find it's a chore to read.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

chernobyl kinsman posted:

I actually think it's fairly clear that there was never anything supernatural going on, and the book is largely an indictment of the reader for expecting that. This line pretty firmly solidifies that for me:

"What does that say about you or anyone else that my sister’s nationally televised psychotic break and descent into schizophrenia wasn’t horrific enough?"

Why would there need to be anything supernatural, in the face of horror like that?

Don't really agree – the tension of "is this supernatural or not" is a major element of the book, and at the end, just when you think that it's just an everyday horror story masquerading as the supernatural, a mysterious chill (mentioned earlier as a sign of possession) runs through the café. It leaves you guessing, which I think is better than just making it either/or.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Everytime The Terror comes up I just think of all the times people say something "softly" in that darn book.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Buca di Bepis posted:

Remember when every goon was into that "splatterpunk" poo poo lol

I suppose I might have just missed this phase but splatterpunk hasn't really been a thing since the early 90s, so did that really happen?

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Re: Barron & PNW – this is going to make me sound like a fanboy, but his stories definitely upped my interested in the region and when I visited with the wife in 2016, I actually messaged him on Facebook to ask for tips. Ended up having a nice kayak paddle on Lake Crescent, and the Olympic Peninsula was definitely cool. Most people going there because of a book are Twilight fans, though.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Gary the Llama posted:

gently caress yeah, Lake Crescent. Have you read his short story “The Redfield Girls”?

I have indeed, had to re-read it prior to the trip. That is a beautiful, but also very cold and very deep lake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

My biggest gripe with The Fisherman was the ”story being told in a bar” thing. It’s really hard to suspend disbelief at the idea of one guy going on for what must have been nearly a workday, dropping in florid language and details that could not possibly have been known by anyone alive to tell the story. There was an attempt to provide some explanation, as I recall, but I wish Langan had just come up with a less contrived narrative device.