Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Definitely check out Joe R. Lansdale, I believe he’s got lots of Western stuff but the only one I can instantly remember and vouch for is his Jonah Hex comic book mini-series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

I've somehow ended up skipping Straub as well – however, it seems that a lot of horror authors have been praising his stuff in podcasts I've listened to recently. Can't name any specific author or episode but I do remember thinking that maybe I should check him out after all.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

gey muckle mowser posted:

Just curious, what podcasts? I'm always looking for new ones to check out.

Probably either the aforementioned Horror Show or then This Is Horror.

From what I’ve listened, The Horror Show is a lot more acerbic and insider-y while This Is Horror has more of a fanboy feel. But while Keene appears to be quite a divisive figure, he is also more entertaining than the TIH guys, who can be a bit fawning.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Is this cover... intentional?

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

That reminds me, Laird Barron was on the This Is Horror podcast a good while ago now and True Detective was brought up – apparently Nic Pizzolatto had corresponded with him quite a bit before the first season, and while he wouldn't go to details, the impression I got was that he wasn't super happy about Pizzolatto essentially ripping him off for all the "time is a flat circle" stuff. As I recall it, there was also a good bit of Ligotti and some Alan Moore in the show, but Barron was a definite influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah the Ligotti stuff is definitely at the forefront (which I should have made more clear), but there's certainly some Barron in there – and he never really made any direct accusations, there was just a feeling that he wasn't 100% happy about the amount of credit he got after actively corresponding with Pizzolatto as a fellow writer.