Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
There's a handful of okay stories in it, but Will Murray's The Sothis Radiant in this out of print anthology is really goddamned good and does Lovecraftian cosmic nihilism as well as anything I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I have Cthulhu 2000, the Book of Cthulhu, and Lovecraft Unbound at home. I think there's one or two stories overlapping between Cthulhu 2000 and the Book of Cthulhu- I remember "Black Man With a Horn", but there might be one more. Lovecraft Unbound really isn't going to overlap with either of them since the point of it is to use Lovecraft's themes and ideas in stories that aren't strictly Mythos pastiches.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The new Charles Stross Laundry novel, The Apocalypse Codex, is out today!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I preordered it on Amazon and today got an email saying that the price went down after I ordered but before it shipped, so they were refunding me 32 cents. Which... okay, I guess!

The book is pretty good! I couldn't put it down, and it builds nicely on the world of the Laundry, revealing that even Bob doesn't know as much as he thinks he knows.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Stross is way too productive and prolific a writer for me to worry about that.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

It'd be interesting to see a Lovecraftian Apocalyse actually occur for once instead of being narrowly averted

I dunno where the world of The Laundry is going, but Stross has already done that.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I felt like the first two Laundry novels have a very different voice from the next two, which is probably because the first two are pastiches of particular styles and the other two are Stross being Stross.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

ravenkult posted:

Classy.

I'm looking for recommendation for haunted house novels.

I've read:
Any King book.
Any Joe Hill book.
Haunting of Hill House
Legend of Hellhouse
Birthing House
House

Drawing Blood, Poppy Brite.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Honestly, I saw the movie then read the book, and I felt like JDATE made the best possible movie it could've out of the book, and I say that without the least rancor toward the book, which is every bit as excellent as the film. There's a bunch of stuff in the book that would take too long to explain (such as the demons harassing David by changing the lyrics of songs he hears to be racist) or just goes way too high-concept for a portion of a film. It's a great book and a great movie was made out of it, and both are well worth your time and good on their own merits.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I liked the Watch books, but my undergraduate degree was philosophy with a focus on ethics. Lukyanenko really, really likes having characters argue over morality for a several pages at a time.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Cold Print is long out of print, but you can usually get it for a penny plus shipping at Amazon.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

"Fat Face" was pretty widely anthologized, if memory serves. RIP.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Hey, so the new Laundry book, The Rhesus Chart, is really good.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

CuddleChunks posted:

I"m reading it right now. Wooooo! I wish he could publish these faster or had more short titles in the same universe. Go Charlie Stross!

Have you read the stories "Down on the Farm", "Overtime", and "Equoid"? They're all published online and quite good.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

CuddleChunks posted:

I already paid my tenbux for all the ironic shitposting I can handle. :colbert:

The Rat - For me, the Laundry series does a really good job of showing how annoying committees and civil service kinds of jobs are. I really like his description of all the frustrations of having to fill out endless forms to get anything done and keep track of every paperclip. I work in IT so a lot of his stuff sounds like "true tales from the front" that I've experienced myself.

On the other hand, I won't disagree too loudly that it was fairly limited on the action front till the final act but still I enjoyed it and look forward to the next.

Stross was IIRC heavily involved in the first wave of consumer internet back in the late 80's and 90's- his IT knowledge is firsthand.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

True Detective was really loving good. Closest thing in tone that I think I've ever seen to Seven. The Mythos elements were present but not misused.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I hate this more than Thomas Ligotti hates being alive.

I just read my first Ligotti story, "My Case for Retributive Action." Where do I get more of this?

The Nightmare Factory is a big thick book of Ligotti.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

That's a graphic novel.

Oh, whoops. I found my copy of the actual slab of Ligotti that is The Nightmare Factory at a Goodwill for a buck, which it looks like is about $74 less than it goes for on Amazon. Didn't look close enough to realize that that wasn't a rerelease. God, I love Goodwill.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Pickman's model is one of the better introductions to Lovecraft. It's short, introduces the new reader to several of HPL's hobbyhorses, and has a pretty classic ending.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The Colour out of Time is just about the most Lovecraftian Lovecraft story, I think- it exemplifies his cosmicism better than just about anything, though The Shadow Out of Time takes a good run at it. Picture in the House is IMO not a standout, though there's something about the phrase "hungry for victuals I couldn't raise nor buy" that's just delightfully chilling.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

When Derleth is writing entirely within his own creations, he's fine. The backlash from fans of cosmic horror stems from his complete and utter lack of understanding of what Lovecraft was doing. A fair number of writers that do stories within Lovecraft's Mythos use the crap Derleth introduced because they don't necessarily know any better, though this is less of a problem since the advent of the internet and Joshi's ascendancy as the go-to Lovecraft scholar.

That said, August Derleth is a huge part of why any of us know who HPL was. He may not have understood Lovecraft's work, but he (along with Donald Wandrei) did most of the heavy lifting in bringing it to the masses.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Here's a pretty extensive article on the subject.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The first two Laundry novels have a very different voice from the later novels since they're deliberately aping Ian Fleming and Len Deighton, and then the later novels are just straightforwardly in Bob Howard's voice. Might be a bit odd the first time.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Ghostwoods posted:

If you can find it, the 80s edition/s of "Songs of a Dead Dreamer", and/or 90s ed of "Grimscribe", or alternatively the '96 bind-up "The Nightmare Factory". The new, updated, "definitive" versions of Songs and Grimscribe are a definite down-grade.

The '96 paperback of "The Nightmare Factory" goes for about $200 online, soooooo maybe find a different printing.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Skyscraper posted:

Are any other horror writers doing this? I'd put into a patreon for more Zack Parsons horror.

I only ever read Your Next Door Neighbor is a Dragon, what horror has he done?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

NickRoweFillea posted:

It's not books specifically, but do you guys have any creepy podcast recommendations?

/r/nosleep is a subreddit where people write spooky stories for each other. There's a podcast where they read selected posts.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Section 9 posted:

I just found that they released the Borderlands short story series on Kindle recently. Edited by Thomas F. Monteleone and Elizabeth Monteleone. I read them all in the 90's on paperback, I think they were actually published by White Wolf (of the Vampire RPG fame) at the time or something, but I think many of them fit in the weird horror genre. Some are typical 90's grimdark, but others are really good. I wanted to find them again because I remember "The Pounding Room" by Bentley Little having a big impact on me, and it still did strike me as hilarious and scary at the same time rereading it 20-some years later. I'd say give the first one a try and if you like at least some of the stories in it you might like the other 4 volumes. One thing I've noticed is that it suffers a bit from scanning, there's a lot of typos that are obvious OCR failures. But they're easy to read around.

Back in the 90's WW had a publishing arm that did some random short story anthology stuff. I've got a collection of Elric pastiches, "Tales of the White Wolf", that they published.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

If you're up for throwing a few bucks on an OOP paperback, Miskatonic University has some fun stories (notably "Teachers", a tribute to Robert Bloch, and "Ghoulmaster", which I understand is part of a series) and some serious failures (the overlong "Her Misbegotten Son" is soooo bad and doesn't justify the 70 pages it eats), but hidden toward the back between a mostly unremarkable story and an amusing story about a play gone wrong (and not the one you're thinking of) is "The Sothis Radiant", by Will Murray. It's one of the best comic horror stories I've read and it's a loving shame the only place it was ever printed is here.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

I honestly think that's Lovecraft in a nutshell. The only story of his I'd consider scary is The Colour Out Of Space, the rest is more about awe inspiration and -someness.

I disagree- I think he does creepy well, and the chase scene in The Shadow Over Innsmouth is just harrowing.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Well, apparently the only way he found the inspiration to write The Spectral Link was because he was sick and miserable (with some stomach thing?). He literally became one of his own characters.

Is True Detective Season 2 plagiarizing more of his work?

Season 2 is abandoning everything interesting about Season 1.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I like the bureaucratic stuff (and loved The Annihilation Score), so idk. :shrug:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The emergence of superheroes pushes forward CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN- it's the widespread increase of occult power that has been predicted as part of the early stages of CNG since the beginning.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Finished Annihilation Score. Gonna say I enjoyed it more than Rhesus Chart, but it's definitely one of the weaker books in the series. I liked the finale a lot, though; while the cutoff was abrupt, there's some hope going into the future.

There's not a surprisingly lengthy aftermath chapter in which the protagonist returns to the Laundry and the impact of the book's events is examined, which is weird for a Laundry book.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Rough Lobster posted:

I don't think the ending was bad per se but after having the Sleeper in the Pyramid awoken in one book, and a close call with The King in Yellow I'm seriously ready to stop being blue balled.

Also, what was the cylinder or tube that Officer Friendly through in the portal before they closed it? I might have missed if they alluded to it earlier but I got the feeling it was a nuke?

It was the score that Mo was being forced to play.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Dunno what that guy's on about, reading Lovecraft makes me nervous.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

ravenkult posted:

I published my Best of Lovecraft anthology. Unfortunately Amazon is not convinced his stories are in the public domain, so they won't let me sell it. If there's any interest in the eBook I'll send it to ya or post a link here or something (I mean, you can get those stories anywhere, but this one has pictures!)

He's been dead 78 years, what more do they want?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

ravenkult posted:

Never been a fan of Ramsey Campbell, he's somehow more depressing than Liggotti, and I love Liggotti.

I think there's a lot to like in Cold Print but a good chunk of it's awfully obvious and predictable at times. In particular the story that introduces Glaaki is awfully clumsy about basically giving away that the people in the town work for Glaaki.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Pistol_Pete posted:

In all fairness, I think he was about 17 when he wrote that.

Impressive if so, for sure-there's a reason HPL burned all his juvenalia.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Also if you're into the rpg a surprising number of the monsters are from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Where are you getting Mo coming off as a terrible person from?