Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

Here is an unsolicited recommendation:

Do you like horror? Do you like Lovecraftian horror? Then you need to read That Which Should Not Be by Brett J. Talley. Holy poo poo it is good.
This is a really good recommendation.

EDIT: Also, I'd really recommend the CONEX series.

With Cosmic Horror in general, does anyone find that the best bits are the nagging, inevitable sense of wrongness, rather than the actual "mountainous creatures of three-lidded eyes rising from the core of the earth" payoff at the end? With Conex in particular, finding out that poo poo was going horribly wrong was way more fun than when it all actually went wrong.

Evfedu fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Is there any way to get The Croning as an ebook? Buying it in the UK consists of giving amazon £13 and hoping they decide to stock some more at some point. Any way I can give Laird my cash directly and actually receive a copy?

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Hahahah $40 shipping cost for one book. Guess I'll be waiting this one out then.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
If any other UK goons are lurking this thread, The Croning is now available as an ebook on Baen (thanks, Ornamented Death!), works out at about £3.80, kindle formatted perfectly and DRM free. Made the thought of the two massive train journeys I'm taking this weekend one to relish.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Blazed through the croning and enjoyed it a massive amount with a couple of reservations about pacing and the purpleness of the prose. Are Laird's short stories as good or better?

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

Generally speaking they're better, likely because he's had a lot more practice writing short stories. The Imago Sequence is readily available, and while it looks like Occultation is sold out at a lot of places, that's most likely because Night Shade is about to release the trade paperback edition.
Get in, and for $6 a pop on Baen Ebooks! Cheers bro.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
I really like some of Tim Curran's stuff (The Underdwelling was amazing,and the one about the weird flesh-monster in prison was great). But The Hive was honestly a total car-crash, he revealed way too much too early, made it clear the monsters were super-invulnerable so there was zero tension at any point and he just killed off all the characters you expected him to and left the rest alive. Really really didn't get on with it at all.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Reading The Imago Sequence at the moment (Old Virginia was utterly flesh crawling) and was wondering if anyone could explain "Proboscis" to me?

I'm assuming it refers to the heroin needle as they're all red neck junkies, but was that all? Or did I miss some stuff along the way?

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
How do I get Poroth Farm on my Kindle? UK goon.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
48p? loving done son. Thanks!

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
I thought Whom The Gods Would Destroy was pretty good. Nicely ambiguous without leaving you thinking "oh come on". Fully goone-recommended for an hour or so's reading.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
I'm desperate to start the Southern Reach trilogy, think I'm going to have to make a lot of time for reading with how much is has accumulated on my to-read pile.

Meant to do this ages ago, as well, but I want to throw out a super-strong recommendation for Mask of The Other by Greg Stolze. Really cool straight-forward cosmic-tinged B-movie schlock elevated hugely by very strong characterisation and pacing. It's knocked around my brain since I read it last November and it always makes me smile.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Reading The Book of Cthulhu II at the moment, not as good as I but a bunch of middling stories with a couple of great ones. Just got to Michael Chabon's The God of Dark Laughter and it owns. Did he write any more horror stuff? Or was it one and done?

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Skyscraper posted:

No, but I have read The Shallows by John Langan. It's the one that someone mentioned earlier in this thread, about an old man recounting stories of his life to a little crab-thing as he tends to a garden in the post-Old Ones apocalypse. It was part of his collection The Wide, Carnivorous Sky and Other Monstrous Geographies but I got it in audiobook format as part of The Book of Chulhu. That anthology was a real mixed bag, but The Shallows was definitely the highlight for me.
If you haven't got it yet I would utterly recommend The Wide, Carnivorous Sky because that poo poo was fantastic.

Also really enjoyed Whom The Gods Would Destroy, really great little novella about parental abandonment/neglect told via space monster with a thoroughly ambiguous, downbeat ending.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
A Colder War also makes explicit mention of The Great Filter. Also thoroughly worth reading. Also a big fan of that Stephen King stuff, since reading On Writing I've had a real soft spot for that guy even if a lot of his writing isn't really my bag.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
How do I get The Autopsy onto my kindle?

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Speaking of Barron, is it just me or is Procession of the Black Sloth a slog to get through? I've been jumping around Imago Sequence and Occultation but finally sat down to actually read all the ones I'd skipped before, and this one is just... not holding my interest.

And maybe I'm a bad person because of it but I really liked Old Virginia and --30--.
Same same same same.

Old Virginia was so good, the whole "clotted screams" part stayed with me for ages and actually even creeped me out, which is pretty rare. I don't think many authors are out there that can sustain a long-form horror story, the genre just feels better in short form to novella sized pieces.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

Stolze's Mask of the Other is pretty good.
I was a Big Fan. Keep meaning to read more Stolze but can't find the time atm.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Worlds of Hurt by Brian Hodges was Extremely good. More three short stories and a novella than a collection, though.

I loved The Shallows too, which is definitely a collection. Really found the sweet spot between literary and trashy horror that sits right in my comfort zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

man i just read the first story in worlds of hurt and that poo poo is goddamn soul-crushing
Please report back after you've finished the book.