Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Ornamented Death posted:

This is more for horror in general, but I want to toss out a recommendation for the Delirium Book Club. They put out 24 novellas a year showcasing some of the best talent in the horror and weird (and weird horror!) genres - if anyone pays attention to such things in the 52 books a year thread, any of my listings noted as a novella are from this book club.

How's Innocents Lost? I need something light and creepy in between textbooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ornamented Death posted:

I'm working my way through Laird Barron's The Croning now, and really everyone needs to go buy this book right now.

I just ordered this and holy poo poo does Barron seriously have an eyepatch?

Look at this man.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've tried really hard to like Bairron but the weird Hemingway-esque hypermasculinity is just totally a insurmountable obstacle for me

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 20, 2015

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
Not cosmic horror, but weird tales - Stephen Graham Jones' After The People Lights Have Gone Off is a little hit-or-miss but has some genuinely creepy work and decent writing. There's an excellent werewolf story, a disturbing and unconventional vampire story (which features as its protagonist a dude who practices his tattoo art on corpses in a morgue), a story with a light sci-fi varnish about a group of besuited strangers who keep popping up at funerals, and a magic fruit box with magic geometry that does magic.

He does fall back on my least favorite modern horror device, though, in that he'll present a fairly coherent narrative that absolutely disintegrates on the very last page into some ambiguous, vaguely spooky, wide-open-to-interpretation anticlimax.

Has anyone read Strantzas' Burnt Black Suns? Is it any good?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Man, don't be such a Eosinophiliac about this.

stop posting

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 14, 2015

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wow Robert Aickman's short The Swords disturbed me more than any story I've read in a long, long time

Just, like

augh

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
Austin Grossman's Crooked is a lot of fun and y'all should read it. It's a first-person account by Richard M. Nixon of the secret war behind the Cold War; a war fought with black magic and eldritch abominations. It's really funny and pretty smart, and you can burn through it in like a day probably.

NPR has a good review of it up.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

ravenkult posted:

If you're not interpreting fish people as ''immigrants,'' racism doesn't show up in his stories too much either.

Yeah if you deliberately try to ignore them then all the miscegenation themes, physical descriptions of black people, degenerate African cults, and the entire Horror at Red Hook are barely noticeable

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 16, 2015

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i don't

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
If you guys haven't read Nathan Ballingrud's North American Lake Monsters you are grievously loving up. Poignant and weird, and only one of the stories is actually about a lake monster.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's not cosmic horror, but if you like esoterica you might enjoy Gustav Meyrink's The Golem. It's loosely based on the story of the Golem of Prague, into which Meyrink weaves deep occult, supernatural and mystical themes. It's a surreal, dark, odd book.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 1, 2016

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Reason posted:

I just finished The Cipher the other day and didn't really find it horrifying or interesting. It felt like it imitated the attitude it seemed to be taking a stand against in a lot of ways with regards to pretentious artsy fartsy crap. "This Hole is too complicated for you to understand, you will never understand it like I understand it." Maybe that was the point of the book, and maybe artsy types get more enjoyment out of it.

if a pulp horror novel from the 90s comes anywhere near whatever you think 'artsy fartsy crap' is you might want to call it a day on the whole reading thing

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Buca di Bepis posted:

Would it help if I told you The Cipher was actually an extremely sideways story set in Wayside School

Wayside School did have that one floor which didnt exist, taught by a teacher who didnt exist, which was some kind of pocket dimension where all the students lived in a horrifying forever-limbo from which there was no escape

thats hosed up imo

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
adam nevill's been brought up a few times in this thread. just found out if you sign up for his newsletter you get a free ebook featuring a couple of short stories (as well as chapter excerpts)

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
please, someone recommend an anthology or collection that doesn't suck. anything like graham jones, or aickman, or ballingrund. anything not like strantzas.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
thanks much for the recs. i just had a bout of despair after downloading samples to a dozen or so collections onto my kindle and finding nothing i liked

re:strantzas - yeah i dont know, he just doesn't do it for me. he feels like he copied bits of aickman, mixed them with lovecraft, and created a mush that i dont enjoy. mostly i dislike his prose, and i dont think he succeeds at all in creating the kind of nebulous surrealism that aickman does.

ravenkult posted:

A book I'm in just came out, it's called Lost Signals

Shameless.

which one are you

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 31, 2016

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
man i really need to get around to reading Langan

I just ripped through both Disappearance at Devil's Rock and Head Full of Ghosts in my downtime this weekend really enjoyed both. Ghosts especially was super refreshing; really enjoyed the PoMo critique of horror as a genre. Disappearance leans a little more heavily on its mystery/thriller foundations but I thought it handled its wisps of the supernatural really well and at times chillingly.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
Adam Nevill is giving away another new free e-book on his website when you sign up for his newsletter. this one is three short works of fiction.

e: the terror is bad, moby dick is good

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 26, 2016

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
the Mr shivers fyad thread is one of the finest cultural objects this forum has produced and represents, albeit indirectly, Bennett's greatest contribution to the world of letters

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
I never read either of them, because I read Mr shivers

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Skyscraper posted:

Seconding this.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3249773&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

my bony fealty posted:

I got a book of Algernon Blackwood stories and it's pretty great. Favorites so far are definitely "The Willows" and "The Wendigo." Dude has a knack for making nature seem really threatening, but not malevolent. Sometimes feels kinda transcendentalist, even the more villainous characters come across as pretty sympathetic. "Ancient Sorceries" is killer too, if a little bloated.

have you read m. r. james? read m. r. james next

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Eureka isn't a story.

That's kinda like reading An Elementary Treatise on Determinants, With Their Application to Simultaneous Linear Equations and Algebraic Equations because you liked Alice In Wonderland

yeah this is very odd to me

eureka is still worth reading though, if only bc poe was, somehow, more or less spot on about the big bang

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
adam nevill's first short story collection, some will not sleep, drops on halloween

on monday, the first english translation of mariko koike's 1986 japanese horror novel the graveyard apartment will drop. here's the PW review.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
reading literature from another time period with expectations of modernity is not an intelligent way to read literature

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 18, 2016

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So... I just read this and I'm curious about what you think about the ending. Is it just implying that merry was the possessed one the whole time? I had initially thought that the twist was going to be something like having the narrator end up actually being Marjorie, because of the whole "my older sister hasn't aged in 15 years" line. But I guess merry is just making poo poo up for this writer?

I actually think it's fairly clear that there was never anything supernatural going on, and the book is largely an indictment of the reader for expecting that. This line pretty firmly solidifies that for me:

"What does that say about you or anyone else that my sister’s nationally televised psychotic break and descent into schizophrenia wasn’t horrific enough?"

Why would there need to be anything supernatural, in the face of horror like that?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i just yesterday made fun of a goon for comparing a book to dwarf fortress

goons cannot read anything without relating it, ultimately, to dwarf fortress

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
who could possibly care about this niche genre nerd slapfight

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm being tame because while her actual behaviour was unpleasant, and her efforts to cover it up troublesome, what she was genuinely responsible for is way less than what she's accused of doing. Seriously, I get lots of folks aren't all that interested in author drama (even if the folks responsible for this genre were amongst the richest sources of drama in their field), but if you're going to spew poo poo like this, at least bother to do some goddamned reading, because it's a story that reveals an uglier and further-reaching mess in the fantasy/horror community than just 'newbie author was a cyber-bully'.

Sorry about derailing the thread like this, but given the highly charged origins of cosmic horror and weird fantasy, it can be hard not to have the politics creep in every so often. Anyway, back to discussing things that care not for race, colour, or creed, because we're all crunchy and good with ketchup.

shuuuuttt uppp

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
just read actual gnostic texts if you want more yaldabaoth

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
brian evenson's a collapse of horses made NPR's 'best of 2016' list and it is very good, especially if you like aickman

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

a foolish pianist posted:

I read this New Year's weekend. It's good, but I didn't enjoy it quite as much as Windeye. They're both top-tier collections, though.

have you read fugue state? how does it compare to windeye and collapse?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

MockingQuantum posted:

Just "finished" The Terror and it was... really not good. I say "finished" since a little under halfway through, I started skipping the long blobs of ship description and random sailors musing about how the weather sucks and how terrible scurvy is. Plus the eleventh-hour right hand turn the story took felt clumsy as hell. I just don't get what the person who recommended this to me saw in the book. I wanted it to be good so badly and it doesn't deliver on anything it sets out to do.

i told you all

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
the terror, while bad like all dan simmons novels, is due some credit for reaching 800-odd pages without a single weird reference to the fever-dream bloodcult that in Simmons' broken mind stands in for Islam

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
the night land isn't even that good but i'd still rather shoot myself in the head and live than read a self-published 'rewrite'

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
universal harvester is not a horror novel and if you go in expecting it to be you will be disappointed. it is, however, an excellent treatment of loss and melancholy and, most of all, small town life

but it's not a horror novel

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
any good horror drop in the last few months?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
was there a real ghostbusters episode where they turn a bunch of garbage trucks into giant traps in order to capture a horde of zombies in scotland or was that an extreme GB episode/a fever dream

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i'm reading langan's the fisherman. it isn't good, which is a shame, because the Hudson Valley is a great setting to which I've a personal attachment and because at its best moments it hints at kind of sublime horror, but both of those things are attenuated by clunky prose, flat atmosphere, tired tropes and hacky wizard duels.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 11, 2017

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i don't mind slow burn, i actually really like slow burn horror. the issue is that it's just not good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Dropbear posted:

Are the other stories in it better, or is all of it just shock value shlock like this?

it is none of it good