Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

fez_machine posted:

Greg Stolze writer of the excellent cosmic horror novel, The Mask of the Other is running a kickstarter for a pseudo-sequel called Whatever Happened to Lala?.

If you haven't read The Mask of the Other, it's an excellent "Three Kings" meets Call of Cthulhu type novel. You can get an electronic copy just by pledging over 6 dollars, which since the book is 5 dollars on Amazon, works out to be a buck for the short story.

This just succeeded over the weekend, so he released Lala. Thanks for the tip. Haven't gotten to read either book yet but they look interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Thanks for the Brian Hodge spam this page, I got World of Hurt and drat... I'm now looking into more of his stuff. Lost Citadel looks good too so hopefully they get it out there for non-backers soon.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Weight of the Dead, one of Hodge's short stories is free on Tor, or is 99 cents and DRM free on kindle. Not quite cosmic horror but it probably qualifies as a weird tale.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

There was some talk about The Lost Citadel anthology (with a Brian Hodge story) back in January, it wasn't available to non-backers at the time. The RPG is now on kickstarter and is funded with 10 days to go. Looks like its $25 for a print version of the RPG and the anthology, $57 for both in pdf with extras. It doesn't say if you get the fiction early since it is done already but there are a couple of short stories from the setting linked under the FAQ.

The kickstarter says it is the first opportunity to get the anthology, and that it will be coming later as part of Green Ronin's new fiction imprint Nisaba.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

General Battuta posted:

I don't know if any of you guys have heard of Livia Llewelyn but "Bright Crown of Joy" was extremely my poo poo. Climate dystopia meets post-Cthulhu 'utopia'. I can't find it anywhere online but I recommend it a lot.

Looks like it is available in the Dark Horse "Children of Lovecraft" anthology and "The Year's Best Dark Fantasy and Horror 2017", for ~$11 and ~$7 respectively on Kindle US.

Catching up on the thread. I'm bummed the Annihilation film never came out near me so I'm keeping an eye out for it to show up on demand. I'll have to track down What The Hell Did I Just Read? also, the first two were great. I've had The Ritual book in my sample downloads for a while to check out, maybe I'll look for the movie instead.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Fallom posted:

Is there a pdf or website that rolls everything up into one document?

I haven't read this, I just did some digging out of interest to see what this was and found this https://www.reddit.com/r/9M9H9E9/wiki/ebook.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Neurosis posted:

I see he's recommending the Kickstarted book The Lost Citadel, in which he did a novelette. Describes it as 'Walking Dead invades Middle Earth'. Sounds like it might be appealing - I've always liked dark fantasy horror because of the Gothic feel it often invokes. is it worth picking up, anyone?

Edit: I'm dumb, it's not out yet.

He being Brian Hodge, this was discussed a bit earlier in the thread. The Lost Citadel anthology is now available in pdf for people who backed the game book kickstarter.

If I understand all this right (I'm at work so I can't check into it properly), C.A. Suleiman kickstarted this anthology around 2015. It came out and got some praise here for the Hodge story and others, but it still wasn't available to non-kickstarters. In 2017 they then did another kickstarter for a game book with the anthology as an additional reward. I backed that one since it sounded cool and I wanted the anthology. Suleiman then got accused of sexual harassment in November and was taken off the project. Ari Marmell took over writing the game book and just finished, sending it to editing recently. Meanwhile the anthology was just today released to backers in PDF and has gone to print at Nisaba Press. So presumably it will be available through here at some point. They have one of the stories up on that site for preview but it is one of Marmell's not Hodge's. Not sure if there are any changes between the original kickstarter and the Nisaba version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

That preview story was pretty good to the point I am now interested in the RPG.

I thought the RPG was done at the time of my last post, but they've been sending regular updates about all the various speed bumps (weather, deaths in the family, artists ghosting them or being coopted by bigger projects) they are having so it looks to be a ways off yet. If you only read the story linked at the store page in my previous post, you can read The Bone-Shaker's Daughter here. I don't know why they don't make the whole anthology available for sale.

This isn't an RPG thread, and I know penny-arcade isn't well thought of in general on these forums, but I actually think the PA artist's new personal campaign setting Brightgrave sounds cool with a lot of potential as an idea for a fantasy take on cosmic horror and the last bastions of civilization slowly slipping away. Basically the world merges with the abyss in a cataclysm and seven powerful mages are able to throw up lighthouses that project a shield that holds back the corruption in their area. Now the shields are weakening and very slowly pulling back so civilization is crowding in towards the towers as abyssal cults become more common and tieflings that are able to roam the abyssal territory start appearing. Whereas Lost Citadel is one massive former dwarf hold overcrowded with the last survivors of the world, as far as they know, while an endless tide of the dead surrounds it. Inspired by Annihilation and World War Z respectively I guess.