Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

MockingQuantum posted:

So I recently started a possibly regrettable undertaking: reading H.P. Lovecraft's entire body of work in chronological order.

And it's starting to drag. I love Lovecraft's work, I've been crazy about Cosmic horror for a while now, but I actually haven't run into that much. So who else exists in the genre? Has anybody been writing compelling Lovecraftian horror in recent years? I have some August Derleth on the way and I haven't hit his predecessors (Blackwood and Machen, for example), but I'm curious if there's much representation in the genre right now.

Or maybe it's better to say that I know there's lots of Lovecraft-esque authors out there, but are any of them good?

It's been said before, but hold off on the Derleth until you have absolutely nothing else to read. If you're going through all of Lovecraft's work, you'll eventually hit Supernatural Horror in Literature, which serves as a primer on authors who preceded Lovecraft, along with what he thought of their work (with a full chapter for Poe). Aside from the archaic language, the works it points to will probably be more satisfying than most of the Lovecraft homage collections.

Not that those collections are wholly unsatisfying, just mostly so. Song of Cthulhu was one which wasn't too bad overall, and which I didn't see mentioned yet. I'd also recommend finding a copy of The Annotated H.P. Lovecraft, and going through it once you've read the stories in their original forms.

Less directly connected, (and missing cosmic horror in most forms aside from 'indifference towards man' being a recurring theme) are Robert Bloch, who contributed a few stories to the 'Mythos', The King In Yellow by Robert W. Chambers, which has been mentioned a few times already, and The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. George MacDonald's Lilith is kind of reminiscent of the Randolph Carter stories, though it invokes some Christian symbolism. There's also Harlan Ellison and Ray Bradbury, each of whom has a huge body of material, most of it hard to pin to a single genre.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU