Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I recently read the short story "Strappado" by Laird Barron (it's in Occultation) and HOLY poo poo. I have never felt that much dread while reading any other horror story before. It's an entirely non-supernatural story, but it freaked me the gently caress out, way more than any other Barron story I've read. My heart was pounding!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

CuddleChunks posted:

I want to echo these sentiments since i just got Barron's "Imago Sequence" the other night and am plowing through that. The kindle version is garbage though - it has no table of contents so I just have to read read read to make it to the next story.

It's been a mixed bag and I've skipped one story almost entirely. Still, one out of several isn't too bad, I have a much worse threshold for Lovecraft.

Which one did you skip?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Well, as long as you read every word of the final story, that can be forgiven.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Stephen King does cosmic horror pretty well. If you want to read a recent duo of loving disturbing and creepy stories, check out N. and the very Laird-Barron-esque In the Tall Grass (which he co-wrote with his son, Joe Hill). :cry:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Helical Nightmares posted:

Honestly I think Stross's most well written cosmic horror tale is "Equoid." It takes the comical premise of "Unicorns scary? Yeah right" and fully delivers shocking, unexpected horror that ramps up into cosmic terror. It is light on the nerd humor, which I like. What I really appreciate about "Equoid" is that the story is efficient and well paced. Since it is a short story I think Stross was laboring under certain limitations that prevented him from going off on plot unnecessary tangents, which are found in all his Laundry books and that makes them feel slightly unfocused. Maybe he had a stricter editor for the short story, I don't know.

Equoid was great. It was like reading Johnny-English-style wacky spy parody, then all of a sudden you're in Laird Barron territory and throwing up your lunch.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Poutling posted:

Adam Nevill's The Ritual is probably one of the ultimate bad supernatural poo poo happens while camping in the wilderness novels.

I've heard it becomes really poo poo in the second half. How true is that?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
China Miéville's upcoming collection Three Moments of an Explosion has a handful of great weird/horror stories.

• "Säcken" is like Laird Barron meets Suzuki's Ring, with a couple staying at a lakeside cabin in Germany. The horror is historical and zoological in nature, hope that's tantalising enough.

• "The Bastard Prompt" is about an actress working as a standardized patient (you know, a fake patient for med students to practise on), who begins to channel symptoms of diseases not quite from this world.

• "The Rabbet" is Miéville's take on an "evil object" horror story. Not entirely original, but super creepy in its execution.

The rest of the collection (28 stories in total) is a mix of fantasy, horror, SF and general weirdness. There's some real creepy stuff in there. I recommend it!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Wachter posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't think his rejected pitch for Scrap Iron Man would be in there!

Sadly it's not :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Wachter posted:

Aw, what? Is his movie trailer script/pitch thing for "The Crawl" there?

That one is, as well as two other fake movie trailers. "The Crawl" is the best of the three, though. The other two don't really make sense.

There's quite a bit of flash fiction in the collection. 11 of the 28 stories are 6 pages or less. Some of them are really drat good, like "A Second Slice Manifesto" and "Four Final Orpheuses" (which was also originally from his blog).

Edit: if you're interested, I did three blog posts in which I reviewed every story of the collection (as well as the book overall). I don't spoil anything major although I do describe the general premise of each story. The first post is here. Now I should stop spruiking my blog.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 22, 2015