Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Mr.48 posted:

A Colder War by Charles Stross is a pretty much a must read for Lovecraft fans. You can read it for free here: http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/colderwar.htm

Thanks for this. just finished it and was very excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Neurosis posted:

So, I have read The Imago Sequence and Other Stories, The Light is the Darkness, The Croning, 70% of Occultation and Other Stories... I like most of the stories, but I must say that Barron's best stories are those that are mythos-building cosmic horror. The universe still feels Lovecraftian in that it takes little note of human activities, but he introduces some unique attributes: the most prominent being that while the big fish are indifferent to us in every sense, there are bottom-feeders who enjoy our suffering. They love us, as he has said several times. And they want to devour us in some fashion. Probably something involving a lot of teeth.

The second idea I get from his works is that the most forward of our species are on the precipice of becoming inhuman aliens themselves - and by doing that there is no guarantee of ascendance, but rather that they are likely to revert to something more basic. Obviously atavism is not a new idea... But the fusion with cosmic horror works really well.

I enjoyed Imago more than Occultation, but they are both very good. Barron probably sucks if you like strong female or non-archetypically masculine characters.

This post just made me spend almost 50 bucks on Amazon for all 3.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All was pushed back twice via amazon but apparently also just shipped. So yay to new Laird Barron book

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

John Dies At The End is an entertaining take on the amusing side of eldritch horrors.

One of the best recent horror movies I've seen.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
I didn't even know that was based on a book! Something new for the kindle!

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

And it has a sequel out, even!

Ya finished original (movie was def good but book is a good deal darker(still funny thought) and a lot more in it) Sequel is also really good about half way through!

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Thread kind of dead so going to recommend two great books i read recently in this genre both by same author.

Dead Sea - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008YA4RR0/ref=oh_d__o02_details_o02__i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Hive - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008GWT2NK/ref=oh_d__o00_details_o00__i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Kind of continues a future version of at the mountain of madness by HPL)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Dr. Benway posted:

Can anyone comment on Tim Curran's The Hive vs. The Dead Sea? I finished The Dead Sea a bit ago and while I enjoyed it I felt it could have been about a hundred pages shorter without him mentioning that, "There's seaweed everywhere and this place is creepy. No, seriously, it's really creepy.", every other paragraph.

Dead Sea is his best book and has made me purchase a lot of his other work.

Blackout was very good. Deadlock was short and generic. Hive 1/2 was interesting. Doll Face was good until ending it's basically silent hill though. Night crawlers i can't remember think it was ok.

(I don't mind weird being explained a lot I read to see the weird situations anyways:) )