Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
There are bunch of anthologies out there worth reading, Children of Cthulhu was published in 2002 and represents a lot of recent authors that attempt to capture the horror itself rather than stay within the constraints of a bunch of mythos reference that the genre has already had plenty of. Included is China Mieville's "Details" for example.

That being said, I am currently reading through Brian Lumley's Titus Crow series which kicked off in '74 with The Burrowers Beneath. It's a nice blend horror and action/intrigue as it follows the adventures of the title character amid a backdrop of Lovecraftian beasties. It doesn't drag, is a lot of fun, and the writing is more than competant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Ornamented Death posted:

There's so much wrong with this post. I enjoyed the Titus Crow books, but for the exact opposite of the reasons you gave. It's an absurd take on the Mythos, the hero is basically Superman (something wholly out of place in a Mythos story), and there is absolutely no horror. Basically the Titus Crow books are a road map of what not to do when writing Mythos fiction.

Edit: I see in the 52 books thread that you're still going through The Burrowers Beneath. That is, far and away, the best of the Titus Crow books, and you haven't really encountered all the weird stuff that people complain about; that starts in book 2.

Oh yeah, the "horror" is really just LOOK MONSTERS but I'm excited for the weird stuff. (I'm telling myself this because I've committed to finishing them regardless).

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Victorkm posted:

Wait...is that the one where the dude starts seeing a...something...in the patterns and lines of the world around him that he can't unsee and it keeps getting closer to the surface?

If that's the one I'm thinking of it was a fantastic story. I didn't know that was by Mieville.

Yeah that's basically it.