Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Ornamented Death posted:

There are a rather large number of good authors that would fit this description. IF you want a nice sampling, check out some recent anthologies. The Book of Cthulhu is arguably the best starting point, though Black Wings is also a strong contender.

AS for specific authors, you simply cannot go wrong with Laird Barron. Caitlin Kiernan is also very good, though her short story collections are harder to find since they're all from Subterranean Press. Simon Strantzas is one of my favorite authors, though only his first collection would fall squarely under the cosmic horror label. Jeffrey Thomas has also written some drat fine Mythos stuff.

Also, The Weird comes out later this year, you may want to check it out. The table of contents is simply amazing.

As far as Black Wings, what would you recommend? Beyond skimming through it, I haven't really sat down and read any of the stories yet and I know with these sorts of compilations it can be hit or miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

GrandpaPants posted:

I didn't know a re-write existed, and when I went to see if it was available on Amazon, I was greeted with one of the worst covers I have ever seen: http://www.amazon.com/Night-Land-Story-Retold/dp/0615508812/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327380136&sr=8-1

That is actually sort of making me hesitant on getting it even though everything I have heard makes me think that I will like the book.

I actually bought a copy of this after reading most of that retelling someone linked earlier and I was really reluctant to because of that horrible cover. I mean, I can understand a cover like that for a e-reader edition but jesus.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Yeah, it really just looks like someone just slapped together a couple of stock images in Photoshop and then ran it through some filters and the Smudge tool. The story deserves more than that, I mean c'mon!

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
I just finished Laird Barron's The Light is the Darkness and thought it was pretty terrible. The premise sounded interesting but he somehow turns it into something that isn't interesting at all and I just ended up forcing myself to finish it. Pretty disappointed since I really liked his story "The Broadsword" and thought the whole concept of gladiatorial blood sport + dark gods would be exciting, but I felt like the whole thing was flimsy and Barron was just trying to push his dull protagonist through set pieces of purple prose.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 22, 2013

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Neurosis posted:

If you read The Night Land, I recommend the rewrite by James Stoddard rather than the original. I've now read both and much prefer Stoddard's. It is much less stilted.

After reading both The Night Land and House on the Borderlands I recommend Awake in the Night Land by John C Wright, 4 novellas also set in the Night Land and which give a conclusion to the setting, which also ties in with House on the Borderlands. Wright's fantasy as opposed to his harder sci-fi, at least in the longer form, has been pretty lacklustre, but this book is flat out amazing.

Strangely, despite Hope Hodgson being quite purple at times, Wright's language is actually less baroque than in his wont in these stories which pay homage to Hodgson.

They each explore a different conception of love, as the original Night Land dealt with romantic love, against the rather dismal and fatalistic Night Land setting. Don't be fooled into thinking that makes them, or the original for that matter, in any way upbeat or unsuitable for this thread. The setting is so downright bleak it gives any optimism gleaned from human affection a doomed and bittersweet feeling.

Yeah, Stoddard's rewrite is great. That cover though.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
The Rats in the Walls
The Colour Out of Space
The Music of Erich Zann
The Dreams in the Witch House
The Festival
The Outsider
The Terrible Old Man

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Ghostwoods posted:

One of the first mythos stories; the place that Kingsport first appears; first establishes Lovecraft's theme of monsters hidden behind masks of humanity. It's mainly that last item that gives it what significance it has, as that's been a fairly enduring post-Lovecraft theme. But it's not as if people will shout at you for leaving it out.

It also has that whole narrator faints from terror and wakes up in the hospital to find the places he described earlier in the story haven't existed for hundreds of years. That's probably my favorite thing in that story.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 24, 2015

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Dr. Benway posted:

Does anybody have any suggestions for just open ended weird not related to mythos and not Lingotti? Maybe along the lines of Liminal States?

Jeffrey Ford

The Drowned Life and Crackpot Palace specifically.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

ravenkult posted:

Bargain bin Dean Koontz.

"Bargain Bin" by Bentley Little

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

ravenkult posted:

Michael Wehunt's story is good.

On that note, Michael Wehunt's collection of short stories "Greener Pastures" was really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
The Blackwater series by Michael McDowell

Has a good bit of dark humor in it and you follow a family in Alabama over the course of about fifty years as weird poo poo goes down.