Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Drunken Baker posted:

Hahaha what?

I've got the first three books, so I might do one on one off and see where it goes from there.

These sound like a good romp.

Superheroes make an uneeded appearance as well. A kaiju attacks Japan at some point and no one really mentions it other than like one comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Equoid is good because it actually manages to be both:

1) funny (Bob finding an official British Government wartime document from 1940 requesting invincible, flying, carnivorous steeds)

and

2) scary (a little girl being hollowed by a creeping horror out and operated like a puppet to ensnare another child)

The Lovecraftian stuff is what makes the series good. It's just when they try to mix that with elves, vampires, and superheroes (no matter how he justifies them) that the series starts falling flat.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

People are always bitching about Mo, but I've never really understood why. Well, I *suspect* why, but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Mo was cool when she was a demon killing violinist who rappelled out of helicopters to play her +3 Song of Slaying.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

For fans of comedic horror, the third John Dies At The End book is out now (titled What The Hell Did I Just Read: A Novel of Cosmic Horror). Hopefully it arrives tomorrow as expected.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

There's nothing I'd rather read when experiencing the soul-crushing horror of air travel than novels about soul-crushing horror!

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

ZearothK posted:

I finished it pretty quickly and yeah, it feels like a sequel to "John Dies at the End" in a way "This Book Is Full of Spiders" didn't, though I enjoyed that one as well. The tone is definitely closer to the first book in terms of both humour and horror.

This is pretty much how I feel about it. I need to read it again and see if I pick up on anything I missed the first time. I caught the concrete snowman early on in a lot of scenes and knew to keep an eye on that, but I'm pretty sure the author intended us to catch that. I just wonder if there's anything else I'm missing. I'm also a little unclear about the nature of the Batmantis and what the one detective implied at the end about it.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

chernobyl kinsman posted:

He isn't actually

Well that settles that I guess!

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I've heard people recommend World of Hurt by Brian Hodge as a real gut punch. That's not always indicative of good, though. Worth reading?

I have it up for a possible next read I read Marc Laidlaw's The 37th Mandala:

quote:

The mandalas have always been among us, unseen and uncalled. Those few occult masters who have encountered them have known to leave them alone, for to these unholy forces we are mere playthings, insignificant tools to be used, fed upon—and eventually discarded.

When New Age charlatan Derek Crowe learns the secrets of the mandalas he sees only the opportunity for easy money. He ignores the warnings, alters the mystical texts to make the dreaded mandalas seem benevolent to a gullible public, then publishes his book and waits for the profits to roll in. But Crowe is all too successful. For he has inadvertently released upon the earth a horror that is beyond all understanding or control—a horror both infinite and hungry.

Sounds extremely like my poo poo.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Rough Lobster posted:

I have it up for a possible next read I read Marc Laidlaw's The 37th Mandala:

Sounds extremely like my poo poo.

Trip report: Can't recommend this. Not much happens, I could never get a good feel for the "monsters", and there's a very offputting, Stephen King-esque child sex scene that the story could really have done without.

It's a shame because the central idea (hack writer adapts a malevolent old text by putting a positive spin on it to attract a large audience, causes all hell to break loose) is one that could be pretty drat good with the right treatment.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Quality derail lads, 9/10.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I'm extremely down for Natalie Portman's women scientist expeditionary monster hunter corp. I just need to decide now if I want to read the book first or watch the movie.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

USMC_Karl posted:

Not to derail anything that's going on cause it looks like there are some mighty deep discussions about the merits of rape, but I just finished a reread of Clive Barker's The Hellbound Heart and really enjoyed it, even more so then the first time around. That got me looking into Barker's other work, and Weaveworld and The Great and Secret Show both sounded pretty interesting. Anyone here read them and feel confident in recommending them?

(I realize Barker is probably way old hat. I've never read anything more than The Hellbound Heart and, while I enjoyed it the first time, I didn't enjoy it enough to look into his other work.)

I can recommend both of them. They're my favorite after his short stories. I think TGASS is the stronger of the two, but they're both solid.

Drunken Baker, you should finish Weaveworld because it has an absolutely bonkers ending.

As a side note, I cannot recommend the sequel to TGASS, Everville. Got some neat ideas but it never really seems to expand on the really cool mysteries and stuff. Apparently it's an attempt at a trilogy but I don't actually forsee the last book getting written. It feels pretty uneeded since the first book is suitably stand alone.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Careful, you're making me want to read it now.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

General Ledger posted:

What do you think about The Damnation Game?

I was wholly unimpressed by it. Thought it was incredibly weak compared to the aforementioned novels and the Books of Blood.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

This is fun.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Anyhow, I'm currently reading through John Dies At The End and it's extremely entertaining, what's the thread stance on the other two books (are they connected to it)?

All three are connected.

The second one in my opinion is a lot grimmer and more hosed up. There's are still a lot of dick jokes but this book in particular just seems to be the darkest one. Also a recurring plot framing device involving countdowns adds a sense of anxiety throughout. I didn't really like it when it came out but I've since reread it and really come around on it. There's also some good philosophical passages and stuff.

The third is much more in the vein of the first although in a focused story. There's some things I don't love about it but overall it's good.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Can anybody recommend some weird fiction or horror with a heavy American West feeling to it? Not necessarily like golden-age western, just something inspired or influenced by them. Doesn't need to be set in the 1800s either. I get the sense that Brian Evenson has at least a good handful of stories that have some western elements but I haven't read much of his, so if he's a good fit I'd definitely take a recommendation on where to start.

Broadly speaking, I'd also take recommendations for any sort of western novel that's even just particularly dark or sinister/eerie, even if it's not outright horror. Basically I want something to tide me over til Read Dead Redemption 2 comes out.

There was a short horror story I read awhile back that was probably recommended in this very thread, about a guy in Alaska who was being pursued by a demonic huntsman type guy, so he goes on the run with his dog. I wish I could remember what it was called but I'm sure someone in this thread would recognize it. Anyway, I think you'd dig it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Hate Fibration posted:

This Book is Full of Spiders is actually my favorite in the series. I think it's got some real heart to it that makes it stand up much better on rereads.

Ornamented Death posted:

What the Hell Did I Just Read? has grown on me because I think the central conceit is very cleverly handled.

The only one of the series I loved straight away was JDATE, but yeah the others are very strong when reread.