Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
For those who haven't heard them, Ligotti's few musical pieces are on youtube, and yes that's his voice narrating. You can find the others in the sidebar. They're all minimal, repetitious, and rather amateur, but still interesting in that you experience a side of him not really attainable through the page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fetSoZFyBw

Someone said he must be the most miserable gently caress alive, and I distinctly remember seeing a picture of him for the first time, something I'd put off even after knowing the image was floating about the internet. It was a blurry workplace I.D. of all things, and my first impression was, indeed, jesus he looks like the most miserable gently caress alive. Skinny, droopy, sunken, just ... totally wrecked by life. Not that we look our best in workplace I.D.'s of course.

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

Dammit, new page, let me make this more legible.

Marshal Radisic posted:

Actually, according to him, he's had a few good days recently and wrote a few stories in March of this year.

In an interview, Ligotti posted:

In 2012, I suffered some severe physical traumas that had the effect of heightening my mood, and my imagination started to gradually make a comeback after dying in 2002. That’s the best way to explain it: After producing two stories in 2002, my imagination just died. Throughout 2012, the trauma I experienced kept elevating my mood and ambition. I wrote some new poems and started to compile a collection of my interviews. Matt Cardin will edit the interview book for publication by Subterranean Press and provide an introduction. In March 2013, my imagination resurrected itself for me to finish two new stories.

Origami Dali posted:

Of course it would take something like "severe physical trauma" to elevate Ligotti's mood. I guess if there's hope for him, there's hope for anybody.

Wasn't that the plot of "The Shadow, the Darkness"? Wasn't Grossvogel an artist languishing in torpor until having a "severe gastrointestinal episode" that inspired him to make that ... thing?

fake edit: God, how could I forget. Against my better judgment (because cracking a Ligotti book means I easily could slip into one of those Ligotti binges) I peered into "TSTD" and yes, it was that debilitating physical attack which activated his "metamorphic recovery" and thus inspired the Tsalal No. 1. Maybe for now Ligotti is a successful organism.

I guess I forgot how many of the themes behind his writing are illustrations of the throes of depressive/panic disorder. No doubt he's experienced much of what his protagonists suffer.

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 4, 2013

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I hate this more than Thomas Ligotti hates being alive.

I just read my first Ligotti story, "My Case for Retributive Action." Where do I get more of this?

If you like the style of that story, you'd probably want to check out the Teatro Grottesco collection and My Work Is Not Yet Done, both of which are available in paperback and ebook.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

:siren: :siren:

http://www.jeffvandermeer.com/2015/01/10/morning-news-tournament-books-current-reading-odds-n-ends/

quote:

I’ve also turned in an introduction for Melville House’s edition of the Strugatsky Brothers Dead Mountaineer’s Inn, am working on another intro for a Ligotti reprint from Penguin Classics, and will complete an intro for PM Press’s reprint of Moorcock’s Breakfast in the Ruins later this year as well.

quote:

It’s probably not giving away too much to say Songs is included.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

Speculation is all over the place in the TLO thread about it, but because of the way VanderMeer said that SoaDD was "included," there is a growing hope that it's either a comprehensive catalog of everything or a reprint of The Nightmare Factory. Either would be fine with me. And yeah I kind of wish, whatever they do, they use the earlier editions of the stories. I haven't made it through all the Subterranean reprints (I assume that's what the KIndle versions are), every once in a while I'll stumble across something I wish Ligotti hadn't changed. I mean, he totally did away with that horrific hallucination of the shriveled blue head in the toilet water in "Alice's Last Adventure" and that to me was one of his most indelible images.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe it is. October release. I guess that works, as that's usually the time of year I start rereading Ligotti. And henceforth I won't have to watch the yellowing of my Nightmare Factory pages in real time.
http://www.penguin.com/book/songs-of-a-dead-dreamer-and-grimscribe-by-thomas-ligotti/9780143107767

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

any other early weird/horror writers worth reading? Arthur Machen is one I haven't read yet either. I read a bunch of Edgar Allan Poe's more sci-fi stories last year and they varied from "pretty neat" to "oh god why am I reading this" (mostly "Eureka," ugh).

Oliver Onions' "The Beckoning Fair One" in the Widdershins collection is a good one. Writer isolates himself, descends into madness -- maybe it's supernatural, maybe not, etc.

And I don't know what category to put it in nor how to summarize or sell it, but A Voyage to Arcturus by David Lindsay is one of the more hallucinogenic things I've ever read. (In fact I'm sure it's come up in this thread; hell, this may be where I first learned of it.) It starts over a seance in an Edwardian parlor and moves quickly into a completely different universe either light years or quasi-theosophical dimensions away, where a protagonist wanders around discovering entirely new mythologies and cosmologies. I glanced at the wiki to refresh my memory and even the contents summaries sound batshit.

quote:

Maskull awakes alone in a desert on Tormance and finds that he has new organs in his body, such as a tentacle (known as a magn) stemming from the heart and protuberances on his neck. A woman comes to him and exchanges blood with him (making it easier for him to live on Tormance, and harder for her), and says: that she is called Joiwind, her husband Panawe, and both live to the North in Poolingdred; that she understands his speech thanks to a forehead organ, the breve, that reads minds; that Surtur is called Shaping, or Crystalman, and created everything (she also implicitly says that he is God); that they do not eat, out of respect for living things, but drink gnawl water; and that the chest tentacle is used to increase love for other creatures.