Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Just popping in to say that Chicago's own Hyde Park Community Players is adapting one of H.P. Lovecraft's stories into a "radio" play to be performed live in front of an audience next month. They don't say which story, and it's probably not very faithful to the source material, but it'll be a cheap date and you'd be supporting community theater. If you live on the South Side, then why not go? Plus, they're doing "The Thing on the Fourble Board," a classic radio play about a group of roughnecks who drilled too deep and discovered something horrific.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

CuddleChunks posted:

Thank you for mentioning this.

Aw, shucks. The story the community theater adapted turned out to be "The Terrible Old Man," which doesn't really have any Mythos content or much cosmicism to speak of, but is still a nice short (and I do mean short) story. Thanks for the show links.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I haven't picked it up yet, but you might try the anthology Shotguns vs. Cthulhu, which contains pulpy Cthulhu Mythos stories.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Howard is pretty great. Even his worst stories (and he did write some dreck - he was a prolific pulp author, it would be surprising if he hadn't) have at least one wonderful element in them. I talk to people about Lovecraft because he's better known, but my heart belongs to Howard.

If you want some fun cosmic horror you gotta read Lovecraft pastiche "The Black Stone" and historical revenge story "The Worms of the Earth". The latter inspired an Oglaf comic (:nws:), which doesn't have to do with cosmic horror but is still funny.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I always liked "The Rats in the Walls," "The Shadow out of Time" (a race of time-traveling researchers is something I can get behind), "The Dunwich Horror," and "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" (as you may be able to guess from my username and avatar). Basically the stuff where I could relate to the characters.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Pththya-lyi posted:

I always liked "The Rats in the Walls," "The Shadow out of Time" (a race of time-traveling researchers is something I can get behind), "The Dunwich Horror," and "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" (as you may be able to guess from my username and avatar). Basically the stuff where I could relate to the characters.

The Rat posted:

The Whisperer in Darkness was my favorite of Lovecraft's. The one part that genuinely creeped me out was when the old man was talking, and he says we where he should have said they when talking about the race from Yuggoth.

I like how the old man misspells "his" name in the letter where he talks about how everything is fine and Wilmarth has nothing to worry about.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Robert E. Howard would have a Patreon set up AND would have been a goon, or at least a redditor.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Helical Nightmares posted:

I'm sure you are all aware by now that Lovecraft is getting his own beer. Did Lovecraft even drink?

He was a staunch Prohibitionist and even wrote a story about a friend, Alfred Galpin, turning into a hopeless drunk called "Old Bugs." It is set in the far-flung future of 1950 and ends with Bugs saving his ex-fiancee's son from trying whiskey before collapsing and dying on a barroom floor. Lovecraft sent the story to Galpin and wrote "Now will you be good?" at the bottom. All because Galpin wanted to try alcohol before Prohibition went into effect! Lovecraft would probably be horrified to learn that people were using his name and likeness to sell beer!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

ZeusJupitar posted:

Thinking about The Call of Cthulhu I'm wondering if anyone has every actually been surprised by the 'twist' that Cthulhu is real. What expectations would the audience have in 1928.

I can assure you that nobody was surprised by that twist. "Mundane people unwilling to accept supernatural explanation" is an old old horror trope. In Dracula (1897), the Victorian characters should be familiar with the concept of the vampire through serials like Varney the Vampire (1845-47) and Carmilla (1871-72), but they can't figure out that the Count is a blood-sucking fiend on their own; they need Van Helsing to explain it to them. Lovecraft's characters just don't want to admit that they live in a universe where something like Cthulhu can exist - the revelation would (and does!) drive people mad - so they try to exhaust all the logical explanations before reluctantly accepting the truth.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Darth Walrus posted:

I didn't like The Shadow out of Time - the twist was too telegraphed and not scary enough. Cosmic horror should not leave you going 'wait, that's it?'. The Colour out of Space is Lovecraft's masterwork, and the rest of his famous stories are all pretty good (especially Innsmouth), but I want to throw out a shout for one of his more obscure and unpromising pieces, Beneath the Pyramids. Yes, it stars Harry Houdini and is set in Egypt (with the expected racism), but it's hella atmospheric.

The Unnameable is also pretty great for seeing Lovecraft do self-parody.

The main problem with that story is that body-hopping, time-and-space-bending librarians are not so much scary as they are totally awesome. (See also: Deep Ones. :iamafag:)

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Clipperton posted:

how many great authors would be fun to hang out with though

I really wish I could travel through time and meet Robert E. Howard, but he wasn't "great" in the sense that his stories have a lot of literary merit. He just wrote a lot of fun stories. :allears:

("The Worms of the Earth" is pure pulpy cosmic horror goodness)

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Geokinesis posted:

But that's just the correct spelling? :v: (Also only 1 word.)

Read The Cipher that someone mentioned in this thread a while back. I really loved how bleak it seemed and just how 'empty' the main character was.

Over here in Americaland we spell it "curb."

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 30, 2015

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Thank you for the link, this story is relevant to my interests

(Username/avatar/post combo)

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Drunken Baker posted:

Just bought that and "The Cipher". Now I just have to buy a dang Kindle.

If you have a smartphone with iOS or Android you can download the Kindle app for free.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Drunken Baker posted:

I was thinking of that, but wouldn't it just gently caress my eyes up? Or is it alright?

In my experience, it's fine, but then again I use my smartphone all day everyday and rarely notice eye strain. You can change the screen colors (black on white, white on black, or black on tan) and font size/style too.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

MockingQuantum posted:

Same goes for The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. I started it, but then it lost me when it seemed like it wasn't going to be much different in delivery or content than his short stories, just longer. I'm up for reading it if it's worthwhile though.

CDW is best read right before you go on a trip to Providence and take this self-guided walking tour. I enjoyed geeking out over the buildings mentioned in the text.
:holy:: "That's that thing I read about!"

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 21, 2017

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The latest episode of Riverdale, "Tales from the Darkside," had an At the Mountains of Madness reference (I can't get this on Imgur for some reason so here is a direct link):
http://cdn1us.denofgeek.com/sites/denofgeekus/files/styles/article_width/public/2017/11/img_8018.png

Sadly there aren't any more Lovecraft references in the show because it is a teen drama based on Archie comics, of all things. I'm holding out hope for the horror-themed Sabrina spinoff, though.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
"The Lovecraft Reread" takes on J.R. Hamantaschen’s darkly comic skewering of Lovecraft fandom in "Cthulhu, Zombies, Ninjas, and Robots!" When I read the summary, I knew I had to get the ebook.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Do you like John Carpenter's 1982 film The Thing? Then you might like this short story.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Pet Sematary was what turned my mom off of King. I was a toddler when it came out and that made the whole "child death" plot line way too real for her. She was never a big supernatural horror person to begin with, though.

Also the little kid's performance in the film adaptation is hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

MockingQuantum posted:

I remember reading (possibly in here?) ages ago that some major work of weird fiction or cosmic horror had a reworking that should be read instead of the original. Anybody know what I'm talking about here? I feel like it was maybe a Clark Ashton Smith or William Hope Hodgson novella but I can't remember precisely.

Possibly The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle instead of "The Horror at Red Hook" by H.P. Lovecraft? "Red Hook" isn't really a "major" Lovecraft story and it's also very muddled and rambling - and racist, let's not forget racist - but I'd still recommend reading it before you read Black Tom. Reading "Red Hook" lets you better appreciate Black Tom because you'll understand exactly what LaValle is responding to. Still, I think Black Tom would hold up fine if you haven't read "Red Hook" first.