Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There was another anthology of weird fiction called The New Weird that was released a few years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It'd be interesting to see a Lovecraftian Apocalyse actually occur for once instead of being narrowly averted

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I ended up buying the Penguin books and a bunch of the recommendations in this thread. The only one I've had a chance to read through thus far is Children Of Cthulhu which had a couple of great stories but was only fair overall.

The Poppy Z. Brite one was kinda annoying, I kinda get what she was going for but I don't see why it was included other than her name being stamped on it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think I actually prefer Laird Barron's more straightforward monster type stuff even if the other varieties are more well-written. This hallucinogenic dream logic style stuff really gets under my skin in an uncomfortable way, worse than Thomas Ligotti even.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

That's the point, isn't it?

Actually no, if I wanted to feel genuine horror I'd just go look at pictures of mass graves or something.

This is a topic that gets discussed periodically in the horror movie thread in cinema discusso. 'Fun' horror versus 'actual revulsion' horror.

Not saying reading Laird Barron compares to looking at pictures of war crimes but for me it definitely veers off into the 'actually uncomfortable' side.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 22, 2013

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think there's going to be anymore Thomas Ligotti fiction. I think he's too miserable to write now.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

John Dies At The End is an entertaining take on the amusing side of eldritch horrors.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Draynar posted:

One of the best recent horror movies I've seen.

The movie seemed okay but it basically removed a huge swath from the middle of the book.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Draynar posted:

I didn't even know that was based on a book! Something new for the kindle!

And it has a sequel out, even!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I really struggle with 'You can't judge a book by its cover' when it comes to genre fiction.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

Maybe you just don't like Barron? You can not like an author without having to conclude they are terrible. For example, I'm not really fond of Clive Barker, but I recognize that's more a matter of my personal tastes than any failing of his.

Clive Barker's work was relatively novel at one time. He was too influential for his own good, now his stuff is not only not that scary, it seems derivative.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I guess for me part of the problem is that Laird and Ligotti kinda do the same thing except Ligotti does it better. If you're not going to be better than Ligotti at the atmospheric thing then I'd rather you just write straightforward mythos stories.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

If you can't be the best at something, don't even try.

That's a great philosophy for life.

We are in the cosmic horror thread, 'don't even try' should be our motto.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

I figured out what bothers me about your last few posts. You're not consistent.

Those parts are about a year apart. When that guy posted a page ago saying none of Barron's hallucinogenic stories made a lasting impression on him, I realized the same was true for me. I haven't read any Ligotti in 3-4 years but I can remember the basics of more of his stories now than the Laird Barron stories I read a year ago.

Sometimes first impressions change when you've had some time to think about it, I remember seeing Children of Men and some other movie in the same week in 2006. At the time I thought Children of Men was pretty mediocre and the other movie was great. A month or two later I realized I was still thinking about some of the imagery in Children of Men while I had stopped thinking about the other movie. At this point I can't even remember what the other movie was that I supposedly liked so much.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm probably late to the party on this but True Detective on HBO has some serious mythos themes. Cohle gives monologues that could have come straight out of The Conspiracy Against The Human Race, and The King In Yellow is referenced a number of times.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wish they'd reprint the rest of his stuff and put it on Kindle. The prices on a couple of them are really high even for a bog standard used copy.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah I'm definitely on the lookout for it. 96 pages seems pretty skimpy but I suppose it's better than the alternative, which is him not picking up the pen at all.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I was a little skeptical of the premise but Cthulhu's Reign was not a bad anthology at all.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Barron's The Light Is The Darkness is one of today's Kindle Daily Deals.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

quote:

It has come to my attention that the World Fantasy Convention has decided to replace the bust of H. P. Lovecraft that constitutes the World Fantasy Award with some other figure. Evidently this move was meant to placate the shrill whining of a handful of social justice warriors who believe that a “vicious racist” like Lovecraft has no business being honoured by such an award. (Let it pass that analogous accusations could be made about Bram Stoker and John W. Campbell, Jr., who also have awards named after them. These figures do not seem to elicit the outrage of the SJWs.) Accordingly, I have returned my two World Fantasy Awards to the co-chairman of the WFC board, David G. Hartwell.

ST Joshi is pissed they're changing the Lovecraft bust. What a massive overreaction though.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Worlds of Hurt is only $1.99 on Amazon, used to be $3.99

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 23, 2017

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Dropbear posted:

Yeah, I tried Kindle's free sample of it. Starts with graphic descriptions of children's balls being cut off and fed to dogs, continues with anal rape. Uh..

Are the other stories in it better, or is all of it just shock value shlock like this?

Just keep reading. It continues to be shocking at times but your perception of how the world works will evolve.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah I don't think I'd describe ANYTHING that happened in the books as lascivious.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

David Wong is a bit of a special case in that he was a big-name writer on Cracked.com long before he wrote John Dies At The End. That and his work is extremely accessible and funny to the point where they made a movie out of it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I guess my main problem with Worlds Of Hurt is that the whole thing turns on the biblical god being evil, but the thing is, the heaven they describe isn't all that scary to me. Very crappy? Yes. Scary, no. Kinda ruins the effect overall.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Clive Barker is kinda bad at starting things and becoming distracted by other projects. Like half of his novels were planned to have sequels that never came out, or in the case of the Great And Secret Show, he wrote 2 books but never got around to writing the third.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Maybe Clive Barker is literally brain damaged now? He did almost die of sepsis like 10 years ago. He was never an amazing writer or anything but everyone seems to describe Scarlet Gospels as utter dogshit.

Could also be the whole near-death thing made him decide to start phoning it in for a paycheck and spend more time enjoying life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

ravenkult posted:

At one point I had his 20-something boyfriend on facebook and he was really into talking about how he's Barker's boyfriend at every opportunity. Also real proud about never giving homeless people any money because they don't deserve it.

That's my Clive Barker story.

Sure that guy isn't just a nut? I don't follow Clive Barker's personal life (or really anything related to Clive Barker in the past 15 years or so) but last I heard he was in a long-term relationship with his bodyguard/personal assistant.