Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Reading through The Weird right now and really enjoying it. The length makes it a bit of an investment but I'm about 70% through and it's been worth it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

As much as I love Barron, "Procession of the Black Sloth" may be the worst short story I've ever read. It goes on and on and on forever and nothing loving happens!

But bear in mind that The Imago Sequence is Barron's first collection; he gets markedly better as time goes on.

I didn't mind "Procession", it definitely wasn't the best story in the book but with a bit of editing I think it could have shone. There's definitely a story or two in the weird feeling you occasionally get in some south asian countries, cloistered away like that. It's not a paranoid feeling exactly but if twisted the wrong way it could definitely become something like that.

On the other hand, we get it, sometimes people get kidnapped in Hong Kong. No need to mention it every page.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Neurosis posted:

He has a whole mess of psychiatric problems, rather than physical pain.

But all the pharmacists and psychiatrists are on the payroll of Q. Org :(

I actually just started reading Ligotti, with Teatro Grottesco, and I can sort of understand now what the thread was talking about earlier. That monologue in "In a Foreign Town, In a Foreign Land" is some pretty weapons-grade despair.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

In case yall aren't following the scifi and fantasy thread, Subterranean Press has a humble bundle up for the next week and change. Looks like some good titles in there - I haven't been able to read them, but overall reaction is very positive. Humblebundle.com, click the books tab.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The books started as, and continue to be, a balance of bureaucratic circlejerking and cosmic horror. If you have a problem with the basic premise of the books then maybe you should stop reading them?