Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Reading Occultation by Laird Barron and I'm finding it very hit and miss. Gay tough guys story is the best so far. I really enjoyed Light in the Darkness though, so I'll persist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Just finished Worlds of Hurt by Brian Hodge and loved it. What collection should I get next? It seems like his work is scattered around a bunch of different publishers and anthologies.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Almost finished Southern Reach. My opinion vacillates between thinking it's pretty good or thinking it's a massive missed opportunity with the premise.

Any other Roadside Picnic homages worth reading?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I read and enjoyed the rewrite of Night Land. I liked the world, monsters, and feeling of utter desolation - what should I read next? I like the idea of the protagonist exploring an utterly hostile environment.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Ornamented Death posted:

Ship of Fools by Richard Paul Russo fits the bill. It's sci-fi horror, and is titled Unto Leviathan if you're in the UK.

Hell House by Richard Matheson is also technically a story about the protagonists exploring an utterly hostile environment, this time a haunted house. But, well, a haunted house story is a far cry from The Night Land so it may not be what you're looking for. And really any haunted house story would probably fit if you squinted enough, but this one is fairly extreme.

Dead Sea by Tm Curran
Brian Keene's The Lost Level books, though they're more....dark adventure than horror.
The Red Tree by Caitlin Kiernan - this is a VERY slow and VERY subtle horror story and is not to everyone's liking
Infinity House by Shane McKenzie - extreme horror, but it fits the bill
Thrall by Mary SanGiovanni
Letters from Hades by Jeffrey Thomas
The Southern Reach Trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer, though moreso the first book, Annihilation

Just some stuff from my own library that I enjoyed and deals with people exploring utterly hostile environments. If I had to pick one, it'd be a tossup between Ship of Fools and Dead Sea.

Drunkboxer posted:

The Other Side of Side of the Mountain by Michel Bernanos might work. It's anthologized in The Weird with a new(ish) translation.
Nice, thanks. These should keep me going for a while. Going to start with Unto Leviathan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'll never forget King's foreword to the unabridged Stand where he writes a (long) defence of long-winded storytelling. I don't think he ever topped Carrie, personally, and it's one of his shortest books.