Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Aspiring writers might be interested in some of the goals that let you bypass the publisher's slush pile.

Classy.

I'm looking for recommendation for haunted house novels.

I've read:
Any King book.
Any Joe Hill book.
Haunting of Hill House
Legend of Hellhouse
Birthing House
House

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

It's two things:
1. I think the kind of backer reward where you get to talk/play/get feedback from the creator is bullshit. Taking money from writers (at the tune of 500$ no less) is just lovely, IMO.
2. Moneygrab, yeah. It's a combination of the backer levels($25 for an anthology in print, $35 for digital plus print), total amount and the perceived value of what you get. Getting my facebook feed bombarded for the last week hasn't helped either.

Anyway, I'm cranky.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

The $550 reward is for an hour and a half of Ellen and Brett's time to talk about publishing and editing; I'd say it's geared more towards people aspiring to be publishers (or become bigger publishers) rather than people looking to get published. The same goes for the $350 Ellen reward. The $350 McAllister reward is for time with a writing coach; that was going to cost money anyhow, so I don't think your criticism applies.

The $350 Shephard reward, though, is pretty much what you're describing. However, that seems to be obvious as no one has claimed it yet.

The only reward that I'd consider lovely is the "bypass the slush pile" one. There's no guarantee that Brett will do anything with your story, just that he'll give it a priority spot on the reading stack. I predict there will be at least 25 terrible writers that are going to be pissed that ChiZine isn't publishing their Lovecraftian opus even though they paid their hundred bucks.

In other news, Bad Moon Books is going to be publishing an expanded edition of Ligotti's Death Poems later this year. It's one of the rarer Ligotti titles, so I'm looking forward to it coming back in print.

So what you're saying is I'm right. Not all of the backer levels are terrible but some of them are?

I mean come on, the 28.000$ goal was to give writers 7cents/word instead of 6cents/word. Shouldn't the stretch goal give something to the backers instead?

That's like having the Kickstarter for Wasteland say ''if we reach 500.000$, you're going to unlock our next stretch goal, where I get to buy a Lexus. Yay!''

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Ninja fetus posted:

Hope you guys don't mind me asking for something related. I've been looking to get into horror again and I'm not sure what's popular these days. I'm not necessarily into cosmic horror. Got any recommendations?

Some Joe Hill maybe? Horns is okay in my book. What kind of horror do you like?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Poutling posted:

Adam Nevill is a popular UK author who does some good stuff. I really liked The Ritual about a group of friends that get lost in the Scadinavian Wilderness and get hunted down by an unnamed Ancient Horror.

I'll vouch for the first half of this. Cut the second part off and you got a really good novella.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Stravinsky posted:

Best part of the book was seeing advertisments in the back for titles such as: The Baby Jesus Buttplug, Satan Burger and Necro Sex machine.

That's Bizarro for ya.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I finally read some Laird Barron stories and I don't get it. He's
1. Not that good.
2. writing Lovecraft fanfiction.

I like how pulpy some of it is, but I don't really get the high praise.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

Can this thread be about bizarro fiction too? I had no idea the genre even existed

The genre hijacked by writers who couldn't get published and decided their books were poo poo ''ironically'' then created a cult around it?
Yeah, why not?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

That's like, the good bizarro. There's some terrible poo poo out there.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I'm part of this new book bundle thingy. Has some Lovecraftian fiction among other things and it's pay what you want.

http://arcanebundle.com

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Since there is no general horror thread, I'll ask here.

What's a good wilderness/mountains/woods horror? Like some dude going on vacation or moving to the middle of nowhere and bad poo poo happens?

A Winter Haunting
is kinda like that (dude moves to an old house in his hometown, it's haunted), The Shining, some of Lovecraft's stuff.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Poutling posted:

Adam Nevill's The Ritual is probably one of the ultimate bad supernatural poo poo happens while camping in the wilderness novels.

Good point, I've read that one.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

I've heard it becomes really poo poo in the second half. How true is that?

100% true. I'd probably give the first half 5 out of 5 and the second 1 out of 5.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

It's not that the writing turned bad or anything, but just the actual plot turned into the ridiculous/hilarious.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

[quote="Eric Heisserer" post=""""]
Most of the projects are, well, kind of boring. They're derivative, or too subjective to the person's own life. But now and then something truly unsettling crosses my desk. Those projects tend to get made, or at least get some traction.
[/quote]

What the gently caress kind of studio is he working at, where interesting projects get made and derivative ones don't? Because my Netflix is telling a whole 'nother story.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I love my Machen. I do think they're both some of the greatest writers.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Barron is a great Weird writer for people who've never read Weird before. I mean if you've read the classics like Lovecraft, Machen, CAS, Algernon Blackwood or whatever else you wanna count as classic, you'll be in familiar ground with 99% of Barron's output. Don't get me wrong, he's a good writer, but I'll never understand the praise.

No hatin', just my 2 cents.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Section 9 posted:

I just found that they released the Borderlands short story series on Kindle recently. Edited by Thomas F. Monteleone and Elizabeth Monteleone. I read them all in the 90's on paperback, I think they were actually published by White Wolf (of the Vampire RPG fame) at the time or something, but I think many of them fit in the weird horror genre. Some are typical 90's grimdark, but others are really good. I wanted to find them again because I remember "The Pounding Room" by Bentley Little having a big impact on me, and it still did strike me as hilarious and scary at the same time rereading it 20-some years later. I'd say give the first one a try and if you like at least some of the stories in it you might like the other 4 volumes. One thing I've noticed is that it suffers a bit from scanning, there's a lot of typos that are obvious OCR failures. But they're easy to read around.

Those are some great anthos. I only own a couple of them in paperback.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Yeah, I think the stories weren't always accessible, but they are far more interesting than what is coming out today (even those Best Of anthos). I should re-read these.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Section 9 posted:

I remember a couple of novels from the same publisher and time period that I thought I got into from the Borderlands series, but looking through the indexes maybe not? William Browning Spencer. I remember Return of the Count Electric being weird and disturbing as hell. I thought I found him through Borderlands, but maybe it was just similar cover art in the horror section of Border's.

I think the Borderlands series got me started into weird horror outside of classic stuff like Lovecraft. These days I would say I think Ligotti and Cisco are much better, but reading these shorts again, they're not bad.

(Edit) Also looking over the indexes, most of my favorite stories from these are apparently from Bentley Little. Anyone read Little over the past couple years to confirm if I should buy all the books?

The put out The Riverrun Trilogy by S.P. Somtow too. They also had a Vampire: Dark Ages anthology that was fairly decent, mostly because it didn't really reference the game that much.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I dug that one lumber camp story, up to the point where the elder things were revealed and they were kinda lame.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Has anyone read that Laird Barron tribute anthology? Is it any good?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

If you were compiling a ''best of'' Lovecraft collection, what would make the list? Novellas are out.

This is what I have:
The Statement of Randolph Carter
Nyarlathotep
The Music of Erich Zhan
Haunted of the Dark
From Beyond
Dagon
Cool Air
The Strange High House in the Mist
Rats in the Walls
Necronomicon
Lurking Fear
The Thing on the Doorstep.

I didn't include any Dreamlands stuff.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I'm not a fan of The Festival. Is it significant in some way?

My updated list:

The Statement of Randolph Carter
Pickman’s Model
Nyarlathotep
The Music of Erich Zann
The Haunter of the Dark
From Beyond
Dagon
Cool Air
The Strange High House in the Mist
The Rats in the Walls
History of the Necronomicon
The Thing on the Doorstep
The Colour Out of Space
Dreams in the Witchhouse
The Call of Cthulhu

Might throw in Dunwich Horror in there.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I'm going to be publishing some Lovecraft books on Amazon, which is the reason I'm compiling these. I'm doing a Best Of, Mountains of Madness with a few stories included, The Novellas, the Dreamlands stuff on their own and then The Complete Lovecraft.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I agree, the Laundry books are all poo poo.

Prop Wash posted:

The books started as, and continue to be, a balance of bureaucratic circlejerking and cosmic horror. If you have a problem with the basic premise of the books then maybe you should stop reading them?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Helical Nightmares posted:

Reposting this because you guys may appreciate it.

My take:

The tileset and sounds are appropriately spooky. Along with managing your health, you also have a spirit stat that functions as an integrated mana/second health bar. Casting spells costs spirit. Some monsters can strictly attack spirit. If your spirit reaches zero, you die.

Instead of a hunger mechanic there is an sanity mechanic. Sanity is broken down into two meters: Shock and Insanity, each on a 0-100% scale.

Enter a darkened room without a light source or see a cosmic being, you gain shock. Wait too long around a level and you will begin to accrue shock as well. Once shock reaches 100% you have a minor mental breakdown that can be anything from making noise because you are gibbering to having shadows appear and stalk you. Upon reaching 100% shock resets to 0% and Insanity increases by a certain amount. If insanity reaches 100%, you die. Reach the stairs for the next level however and your shock meter is set to zero, encouraging you to explore efficiently.

Currently you can be a War Veteran, Rogue, or Occultist. I recommend Rogue for your first few times since you start with a cloaking spell to escape enemies.

In my second game I got cursed for kicking open the slab to an ancient tomb, grabbed a Tommy gun and unloaded drum after drum into Keziah Mason until the foul witch fell, found out that chopping apart reanimated corpses with an axe is a great way to gain shock way too quickly, drank an insight potion and identified an eldrich artifact that scattered my opponents around the level, threw knives at gun wielding cultists with varying success, watched an infected wound become diseased because I couldn't treat the wound in time oh god oh god the zombies beat down the door I spiked, and threw a bunch of dynamite at Major Clapham-Lee and his undead hoard only to eventually fall to their clutches.

Hey, someone played Darkest Dungeon.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

coyo7e posted:

That was my first thought as well however, all three of those classes are classic character types from lovecraft. Everybody knows the poor scientists just can't nethack it.

Nah, it was mostly this

Helical Nightmares posted:

Enter a darkened room without a light source or see a cosmic being, you gain shock. Wait too long around a level and you will begin to accrue shock as well. Once shock reaches 100% you have a minor mental breakdown that can be anything from making noise because you are gibbering to having shadows appear and stalk you. Upon reaching 100% shock resets to 0% and Insanity increases by a certain amount. If insanity reaches 100%, you die. Reach the stairs for the next level however and your shock meter is set to zero, encouraging you to explore efficiently.

Which is pretty much identical.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

coyo7e posted:

:eng101: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Cthulhu_(role-playing_game)

Haven't played it myself however i'd be kind of surprised if there wasn't some kind of light/dark mechanic involved as well.

Yeah, the sanity mechanic is pretty classic. There is no light/dark mechanic.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Simmon's The Terror is really loving slow. Did an editor never look at it or what.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I can't say I'd recommend The Terror to anyone. I mean it's like a creature feature, not really a mounting horror kind of thing. There's no need for it to be this long. Also it's kinda weird that the one gay guy (I mean, I assume) on the ship is a piece of poo poo.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

thehomemaster posted:

Must be a homophobe, burn all his books.

Do you trawl all the threads to defend racists and bigots or just the Book Barn?

Not saying Simmons is either, but holy poo poo if that character isn't cartoonishly evil.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

You're the worst.

thehomemaster posted:

I opportunistically poke fun at those uppity people.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

The Terror has me in some kind of trance, where I read 300 pages but then my reader says it's actually only been 10.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I published my Best of Lovecraft anthology. Unfortunately Amazon is not convinced his stories are in the public domain, so they won't let me sell it. If there's any interest in the eBook I'll send it to ya or post a link here or something (I mean, you can get those stories anywhere, but this one has pictures!)

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

He's been dead 78 years, what more do they want?

Well it's Amazon, so.

Anyway, here's my trash ebook, enjoy https://payhip.com/b/7RDN

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Copy paste the link instead. Don't know why it's doing that, sorry.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Tim Waggoner (doesn't write cosmic horror, but he does write horror) had a great status on Facebook the other day, questioning why we don't mind having a Poe award all that much, considering he was pro-slavery and married his 13-year old cousin. While it's largely pointless (plenty of terrible authors are admired today) it was hilarious watching nerds doing mental gymnastics to explain away pedophilia.

One lady's opinion was that racism is a big problem in the US, while ''children brides'' aren't, so why should we care about that kind of stuff?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

If you're not interpreting fish people as ''immigrants,'' racism doesn't show up in his stories too much either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

It's a pretty well known ''theory,'' but I forget the name.