Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3000psi
Jan 25, 2012

by Fistgrrl
I really felt compelled to post in this thread, there are two modern books that namedrop lovecraft a lot: Cyclonopedia, and The End of Mr. Y. I haven't read the latter, but Cyclonopedia is really weird. I wouldn't say that it was good, there were a few interesting ideas obscured with really bad writing. It's a made up of some phony manuscript written about occultist archeology, but it degenerates into chatlogs of internet people talking about horror movies, so...

I've found that there's a lot of really good pre-modern fiction that Lovecraft took his ideas from. Fantasy, horror, detective fiction were all genres created primarily by German authors around the turn of the 19th century. But they don't have much of a presence in discussion. Of the top of my head, here are some books that may interest Lovecraft fans in one way or another.

Frederich Schiller - The Apparitionist, The Criminal of Lost Honor: A True Story
ETA Hoffmann - The Devil's Elixir, The Sandman
Heinrich von Kleist - The Marquise of O
Novalis - Heinrich von Ofterdingen
William Beckford - Vathek
Charles Brockden Brown - Wieland
James Hogg - The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner
Arthur Machen - The Great God Pan
Algernon Blackwood - The Willows
George Macdonald - Lilith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU