Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlesDexterWard
Apr 25, 2012
I was wondering if I could get some people's opinions on the title short in Occultation. I can't make my mind up whether or not it was mundane or not. Was the black spot on the wall just a shadow, or was it literally some otherworldy worm? Was the giant turtle some sort of hallucination? And the ending, did the dude secretly slip off the bed and roll under it and laugh, or did some worm come out of the then dead guy? .

I guess the story is made in such a way to keep you thinking. I just can't decide whether or not it was a drug fueled yet mundane episode or something darker. Maybe I am too much a simple person to follow any subtle clues there might have been, but to cut myself some slack I did read it late last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlesDexterWard
Apr 25, 2012

Gooble Rampling posted:

I think it was a callback to his earlier story about the prostitute who pulled her head off. I'm pretty sure the guy did that at the end, Thing-style.

It was kind of a let down of a story though. Barron seems really hit and miss on his stories.

Ahh that makes a lot of sense now. I feel silly for missing that. I love the atmosphere that he builds up through the story but come to think of it the last couple of endings of his that I've read have been a bit of a letdown when compared the tension that is built up.