Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I've gotta recommend You Shall Never Know Security by J.R. Hamantaschen. It's an amazing collection of short stories. Not all of them deal with cosmic horror, but the ones that do, including my favorite story "Truth is Stranger than Fiction" (written from the perspective of a judge writing a court opinion, trust me, it makes sense) are phenomenal.

There's a Kindle version, too, for a couple bucks less.
Also, the author is a really cool guy. He responds to every email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
God drat Thomas Ligotti is depressing

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

GrandpaPants posted:

Yeah, I've said it before, but he is the only writer that leaves me in a consistent down mood after reading his works. And it's not like they're particularly drenched in human misery, but they just create this sort of oppressive atmosphere that is just absolutely heavy.

God I love it. Dude needs to be miserable more often so he can write.

As bad as it is to agree with this sentiment I totally do. If misery is what makes him write then be miserable

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Is there anywhere to buy The Nightmare Factory graphic novels in ebook format? I'd much rather read them on my tablet.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Can this thread be about bizarro fiction too? I had no idea the genre even existed

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
What Laird Barron collection would you guys recommend

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
It's not books specifically, but do you guys have any creepy podcast recommendations?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Pope Guilty posted:

/r/nosleep is a subreddit where people write spooky stories for each other. There's a podcast where they read selected posts.

Yeah, I've got that, Drabblecast, and Night Vale currently. Thanks for the response, though!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

KingShiro posted:

I forgot if it was mentioned here or somewhere else, but Quiet, Please is pretty good. Not a podcast, just archives of a really old radio show. Pretty Twilight Zone-y overall.

I remember listening to The Thing on the Fourble Board while driving late at night and getting freaked out. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Roark posted:

I haven't seen it mentioned in the thread yet, but in addition to a Ligotti collection, Penguin is also putting out a Charles Beaumont collection. He's probably most famous nowadays as a Twilight Zone writer ("The Howling Man", "Shadow Play", a bunch of other well known episodes) and for screenplays, but his stories really hold up.

It doesn't come out till October. :( I want it now!