Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Actually, according to him, he's had a few good days recently and wrote a few stories in March of this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I have a question that's been bothering me for a while that I'd like to put to the thread: why isn't Caitlin Kiernan known much outside of horror/weird fiction circles? I've been reading both her novels and short fiction for a few years know, and it seems like they should be the sort of thing that develops a robust cult. She's got her own set of locations, her own interpretation on Lovecraft's ideas (she's the only one I ever seen succeed in integrating human sexuality with Lovecraftian horror), protagonists that would appeal to the more progressive-minded, to name a few. Heck, she even cut her teeth writing a spinoff comic series for Neil Gaiman's Sandman comics back in the 1990s. And yet, in spite of all this, I've barely seen anyone outside of academics and other writers discuss her work. Even Ligotti gets more play than her these days.

Mind you, given that her novels The Red Tree and The Drowning Girl are both being adapted into movies, there might be more of a groundswell around her in the future. Even so, why the obscurity now?