Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ornamented Death posted:

I'm glad that my constant recommending of Laird Barron has accomplished something.

Now I need to get all of you reading Caitlin Kiernan...

This thread got me reading Barron, and so far I'm really enjoying the Imago Sequence. So thanks. Where would you recommend someone starting with Kiernan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm actually pretty sympathetic to some of the ideas in Conspiracy, and while I did like it, at a certain point I started thinking "So what? Everything sucks and is pointless, ok. So what am I going to do with that?" I guess it's because I have issues with depression, and I just had to stop and say "This isn't good for me" and put it down. I mean, I like it, but I'll just stick to his fiction from now on.

Also I'd give anything for a filmed interview with Ligotti, where it turns out he's a pudgy older guy with a big red face who wears Hawaiian shirts, denim shorts, and sandals. And he loves Jimmy Buffet, tooling around in his convertible, and cigars.

quote:

10:30, Hooters. Thomas Ligotti washes down his chicken wings with huge gulps of his daiquiri. He whistles to the waitress, and orders another round of shots for the table. "Man, it don't get better than this!" he says. I try to bring the conversation back to his work. "So Thomas, about Grimscribe..." He puts a pudgy finger to his bbq sauce-stained lips and shushes me. "Chill out with that stuff bro. It's just books. Not in front of the lay-dees. "Panama" by Van Halen begins to play in the background. Ligotti grins from ear to ear. "Aw poo poo man, I love this song!"

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jun 23, 2013

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rough Lobster posted:

For some reason King Crimson has always given me Lovecraftian vibes...

Gee I don't know why that would be

In the Court of the Crimson King posted:

The rusted chains of prison moons
Are shattered by the sun.
I walk a road, horizons change
The tournament's begun.
The purple piper plays his tune,
The choir softly sing;
Three lullabies in an ancient tongue,
For the court of the Crimson King.

Also, the Dark Tower series isn't strictly cosmic horror, but this is where Stephen King got the idea for his character, I'm assuming? Has he ever confirmed that?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Neurosis posted:

Ligotti works, too, but his writing style is more removed from cosmic horror than Barron's.

I had the exact opposite take, actually, though. Ligotti's work seems to really invoke the idea that the universe is indifferently inimical to human life and values, that reason and emotion are not merely hopeless, but meaningless. Barron, on the other hand, seems to focus more on a universe that's filled with utterly alien things, but these things, at least when they interact with our world, tend to end up being portrayed as malicious or ravenous, which aren't monster motivations restricted to cosmic horror, to say the least.

I think this distinction exists in style, as well: Barron tends to build, through tone and description, a recognizably normal world that quickly becomes invaded by menace and strangeness, whereas Ligotti's worlds are intrinsically oppressive and rotten, regardless of setting, with his style tending to highlight disgust rather than menace.

tl;dr: In Barron, the horror is the awful things the indifferent universe produces; in Ligotti, the horror is the indifferent universe itself. Which is closer to how I think of "cosmic horror."

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Disappointed it's not called Two-fisted Tales of Monster Punchin'