Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MockingQuantum posted:

I remember reading (possibly in here?) ages ago that some major work of weird fiction or cosmic horror had a reworking that should be read instead of the original. Anybody know what I'm talking about here? I feel like it was maybe a Clark Ashton Smith or William Hope Hodgson novella but I can't remember precisely.

Probably talking about The Night Land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ornamented Death posted:

Hodgson didn't do that weird language thing in other stories; House on the Borderland and Boats of the Glen Carrig are written in perfectly normal English, for example.

On top of that, The Night Land is a perfectly weird story without the horseshit language tricks Hodgson failed at, so reading a version that doesn't make you go cross-eyed is fine.

When even Lovecraft thinks the writing in The Night Land's original version is hard to read, it definitely becomes something in need of fixing for the average reader to be able to enjoy

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'm not sure if it really counts as "Cosmic Horror" but The Immortal Hulk has definitely been leaning in that direction at times, especially with the most recent issue

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Relevant Tangent posted:

BotL got banned, let people read and recommend what they like.

Oh when did that happen?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Chas McGill posted:

I'll never forget King's foreword to the unabridged Stand where he writes a (long) defence of long-winded storytelling. I don't think he ever topped Carrie, personally, and it's one of his shortest books.

I've got a copy of that one, and you could probably maim someone with it if you swung it hard enough or dropped it from a high enough point, though it's far from the largest book I own