Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Some free horror online for you to read: https://litreactor.com/columns/the-20-best-horror-stories-available-online-for-free

I've just started getting into horror of late. In another century I read Lovecraft but don't remember much of it so I should probably go back and reread them.

Books I have recently read include The Fisherman, 20 Days of Turin, and We Will All Go Down Together. Really liked the first and last, and the middle was decent enough. None terribly scary though. More weird world building exercises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Just started The Imago Sequence and Other Stories by the curiously named Laird Barron. Having just enjoyed Gemma Files and John Langan this seems an appropriate choice (made by a friend of mine really into horror) and two stories in I have to agree. I see Barron is controversial in the thread due to the sameness of his work, so next up will be China Mieville's Kraken. He also gave me a couple of other collections this round in our informal book club.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

MockingQuantum posted:

Imago Sequence is definitely the strongest of his work, some really excellent stories in there. Barron does tend to be samey, but that means if you like some of his stuff, you'll probably like most of it. Occultation is hit and miss but also has some really great stories. I can't remember what collection it's in, but The Men from Porlock is also really good.

A word of warning for Imago Sequence, though: Procession of the Black Sloth is extremely divisive, I think the thread consensus on it is not favorable. I ended up skipping most of it and don't really regret it.

Cool thanks. Procession of the Black Sloth is next up so we shall see how I fall wrt this story.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

You realize Kraken isn't horror, right? Just checking.

vOv

It is in the pile of things my buddy recommends I read so haven't really given it much thought past that

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The other two books I was given were by Arthur Machen and Jeff VanderMeer but I will

fez_machine posted:

Read Brian Evenson.

soon

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

MockingQuantum posted:

Imago Sequence is definitely the strongest of his work, some really excellent stories in there. Barron does tend to be samey, but that means if you like some of his stuff, you'll probably like most of it. Occultation is hit and miss but also has some really great stories. I can't remember what collection it's in, but The Men from Porlock is also really good.

A word of warning for Imago Sequence, though: Procession of the Black Sloth is extremely divisive, I think the thread consensus on it is not favorable. I ended up skipping most of it and don't really regret it.

Just finished this short story. Will have to ponder upon it. I think I understand wtf just happened, and I think I liked it? But its unsettling. I'm pretty sure he was reliving this incident in which he really did turn this woman over, but am unsure why exactly he is so removed from the knowledge if it is a hell. Unless that is the torment I suppose.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Goons goin soft these days

I'm sure these manly men will get tired quickly but so far this a decent enough read. Then again, I like Hemmingway, but he gives his characters some variation. We'll see.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

hopterque posted:

Barron's protagonists being generally the same doesn't bother me that much, honestly, but in general his work connects really well with me because I grew up in washington and spent a lot of time out in the wilderness in the olympics and etc, where he sets a lot of his stories. I can definitely understand why people don't like him, but he's consistently one of my favorite weird fiction authors. He just really, really nails the feel of that part of the country.

Hrm. Well I guess its time to read Sometimes a Great Notion next then.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The Barron story Proboscis was a weird little one that a couple of days later has me dreaming of various insect-like humans living among us.

edit: whoops, got the wrong name

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 5, 2017

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Paralax was another pretty good short story. As was Haluciginia. Coming down in favor of this Laird Barron guy, but wish his manly man hard drinkin to forget the death of the love of his life wasn't such a trope.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

MockingQuantum posted:

If it makes you feel any better, Swift to Chase has a manly woman hard drinkin to forget the time she almost died.

It is a variation

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The Imago Sequence was really great, loved it pretty much from beginning to end. Stories in particular I liked were Proboscis, The Imago Sequence, Hallucigenia, and Procession of the Black Sloth. Good stuff!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Hungry posted:

The Fisherman did something to me I still can't quite put my finger on - something very good. Before I picked it up I read some reviews which really tore into it but afterward I couldn't figure out how they hadn't seen what I'd seen, but maybe that's it - in some ways it's not written like standard horror, it does things with storytelling method and narrative construction which are more common in 'high' literature but less so in horror as a genre.

Agreed. That is a book that has stayed with me for longer than usual.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I will be ignoring the thread until I finish this now--just about 50 pages into Annihilation and love love LOVE it so far

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Done with Annihilation and LOVED IT. As a working biologist (of a sort) I also understood the protagonist and that side of the narrative; it wasn't technical but biologically plausible for sure. Fantastic book!

Into Authority now

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Just finished Authority, was more really good stuff.

Seems that Acceptance is a bit of a litmus test ITT, not sure for what but soon I'll know what side I'm on at least.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Ornamented Death posted:

There are fans of both Brian Evenson and Paul Tremblay here, so I figured I'd pass this on.

http://www.concordfreepress.com/another-way-to-fall/

So the way this works is they'll send you the book for free. Once you get it, they ask that you make a donation to charity - any charity, your choice - and let them know about it.

drat, only ships to the US :(

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Speaking of movies, Annihilation is out today right?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Ornamented Death posted:

I'll toss out a recommendation for Matthew M. Bartlett. His Leeds, MA, stories are all very weird in interesting ways.
Reading this right now. Its really good. The way the radio works through the series of stories is particularly effective.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

wrong how so?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Interesting. I heard from folks within the occult community in the UK decades ago that there were some English villages--deeply secretive of course--that had preserved "the old ways". Whether or not true it's fun to speculate. Will check her book out.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

chernobyl kinsman posted:

please do not start believing that margaret murray was right about anything because if you do then it's on my conscience for alerting you to to the existence of the book

I will refuse to believe she is right in the same way I will refuse to learn to read elvish deal?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Neurosis posted:

Seconded. Gateways to Abomination had this strange style with connected segments ranging between those which were fairly complete horror stories and tiny mood fiblets of a couple of pages in length and which were not connected in a linear and direct fashion with the rest of the book but which couldn't stand on their own; together, the different parts created a pleasantly discordant mood. It also had this bit in the first story which made me laugh:

Just finished it. Really very well executed, a super fun read

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Sweet my buddy just lent me his copy of the new WXXY/Leeds slim volume If It Bleeds by Matthew Bartlett. He got it from a publisher's fundraising program, and its a signed limited edition copy. Should take a couple of hours to inhale this.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Nice, might need a copy for myself

e. just finished it, very much in the vein of Gateways to Abomination, so if you liked that you'll like this.

ee. also WXXT not WXXY fat fingered that a post or two ago

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 21, 2019

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

TheNamedSavior posted:

Ooops, I didn't mean to hit post, please ignore.

Too late, what were you posting about gentle goon>

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

chernobyl kinsman posted:

horp. blorp. huoorggh

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

well he's not wrong Hieronymus

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

julietthecat posted:

Jon Padgett's collection The Secret of Ventriloquism. It's predictably derivative of Ligotti (Padgett runs Thomas Ligotti Online), and the last story, "Escape to Thin Mountain" is obviously a reference to Ligotti's "Ten Steps to Thin Mountain." But I thought it was really excellent. This is heresy, but I've always preferred Ligotti's philosophy and universe to the experience of reading the stories themselves, and they've sometimes felt like a slog to get through. Padgett operates in the same universe, and fleshes out the same ideas without adding anything really original, but I found his stories more enjoyable. Padgett is a former ventriloquist himself, incidentally, and the stories are loosely connected. Standouts: "Murmurs of a Voice Foreknown" and "20 Simple Steps to Ventriloquism."

Just read his chapbook The Infusorium (also has a ventriloquism angle). It was alright. Not great.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Shiloh by Philip Fracassi on the other hand, I recommend. The second story, the Soda Fountain, in particular, I really enjoyed.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Secret Machine posted:

Agents of Dreamland by Caitlin Kiernan is a multi book series. I only read the first book which is short but if left me wanting to read the others.

They are three novelettes (Agents of Dreamland, Black Helicopters, and The Tindalos Asset), of which the first two are best IMO. The third gets that cosmic flair but seems to be somewhat incomplete to me. They aren't really connected story wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Secret Machine posted:

Thanks! I’ve been looking to add them to the queue so that helps.

I just finished Lagan’s
The Fisherman which is the first story of his I’ve really enjoyed. His other stuff just kinda falls flat for me but the Fisherman nailed incomprehensible beings for me.

It took me a while to warm to the overly vernacular voice Langan starts with but once we got to the story within the story I was pretty hooked. Er, pardon the pun. The end was satisfying too.

OP this is also a cosmic horror novel you should consider IMO