Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Someone many pages back recommended EARTHWORM GODS and I've been enjoying it so far, so thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
After reading The Keep way back in the early 90s I'm finally half way through F. Paul Wilson's NIGHTWORLD and it's been a fun ride through the apocalypse. Plenty of mind-bending otherness as the avatar of chaos warps the fabric of space and time and plunges Earth into a perpetual night.

Not sure if all the books in "The Advisary Cycle" are technically "Weird Tales", but I find Wilson's work to be fast and easy to read (in the best possible way) and the rest of the books in the Advisary Cycle are fun reads too.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I messaged Doc Alloy to clear this before posting and I got their blessing, because I was looking to give away some kindle gift cards for a book of weird short stories I've done called "HEADCASE".

The trouble is, here in the UK you can't gift e-books and as far as I can see I can only send gift cards in GBP and an American friend I tried this with said it didn't work.

I'll be back in work on Monday and back on the forums and HOPEFULLY I'll have figured out a workaround by then. If not, I'll try and get an epub(I think?) kindle file and just link it for anyone to use... Unless you're in England. In which case I can send a gift card code no problem.

If anyone is interested though, shoot me a PM. I think my budget this month can stretch to about 15 codes.

http://bit.ly/2jVJjXK
If anyone wants to have a look at the preview on Amazon.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Relevant Tangent posted:

(look, I'm from one of those universes where that's the correct spelling, like the Berenstain/Berenstein Bears thing only more tentacles)

The universe where it's called Ktulu is the best.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Only ever watched that one Extreme GB episode that had Cenobites in it.

Would the original Hellbound Heart be considered a weird tale?(I think it's officially considered gothic?) Dealing with alternate planes of reality, similar enough to be recognisable, but only in an awful, awful way.

Though let's not think about the Scarlet Gospels where the Labyrinth was retconned into being actual hell as in THE hell and Pinhead has a BragonBall Z fight with Satan. THE Satan.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Yeah, I've always had a hard time judging what kind of category books fit into because it comes down to things like writing style as well as subject matter.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Rough Lobster posted:

I'm sure this is completely terrible but you've captured my attention.

Some people I know absolutely loved it, but I have no idea how or why. There's rumours abound that it was ghostwritten and it feels like it too. The prose in it feel vastly different to how Barker usually writes. (Though to be fair I've not read any of his fantasy stuff)

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i'm reading langan's the fisherman. it isn't good, which is a shame, because the Hudson Valley is a great setting to which I've a personal attachment and because at its best moments it hints at kind of sublime horror, but both of those things are attenuated by clunky prose, flat atmosphere, tired tropes and hacky wizard duels.

I wanted to love that book so much, but gave up half way through when it was nothing but a stone mason's tale and his daughter who was a pasty chef. Then I picked it back up and the last quarter evokes so much great imagery that it made up for anything that came before it. I know saying "the last quarter is great" isn't exactly the best praise, but it did stick with me.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The Cipher paperback is selling for over a hundred dollars on Amazon. Man, that sucks. Might have to borrow my ma's Kindle and check it out that way.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
It's going for three quid on Amazon.co.uk. Never used a kindle before in my life though. I might gently caress my eyes up and get it on my phone.

edit: Speaking of kindle, here's a few more codes for my book if anyone fancies it. These are for dollars, but if you're a Brit and want one let me know and I'll get one sent out.

http://bit.ly/2jVJjXK

DH83-6VUK89-6YGK
TPU5-G57FUJ-EGSV
RY5X-LE9K45-9CEP

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 4, 2017

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Cheers mate!

They're not technically codes for the book, they're just the exact amount it costs, bought for myself but then I don't use them and pinch the code. So we're kinda working on an honour system here. Haha. Yeah, really sucks that Amazon doesn't have something similar to steam keys.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Thanks for checking it out!

It's not all entirely "cosmic" but it's not standard horror either, hence the "weird" part of the title.

I'll whip up some more codes for Monday in case anyone fancies it.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Uroboros posted:

A Colder War

Thanks for reminding me to do my usual yearly read. :allears:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Just bought that and "The Cipher". Now I just have to buy a dang Kindle.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Pththya-lyi posted:

If you have a smartphone with iOS or Android you can download the Kindle app for free.

I was thinking of that, but wouldn't it just gently caress my eyes up? Or is it alright?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Black on sepia seems to be pretty good for mobile devices. Excellent. Thanks for the advice.

Seems like all of Hodge's work are more readily available via Kindle too. I'll be picking them up as well.

Christ almighty. Just started Worlds of Hurt. What the heck am I reading? :psyduck:

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 29, 2017

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
It's definitely not schlock. I was shocked by it because I had no idea what I was expecting, but castration and angel buggery were far from it. I guess it's all about the tone and implication. Compare it to something like the castration scene in "Outlast"* Now THAT was schlock for the sake of it. It brought nothing to the table really bar the gross shock factor. In this the act of the lad losing his plums was a major plot point and... I'm imagining someone else writing it. It could so easily be a short in a Splatterpunk story where there's 3 laboriously, gruesomely depicted pages devoted to the act. But there's not. It happens, it's shocking and catches you off guard... But then it's just a detail in the grander scheme of things.

And not a major point, but I'm sure they weren't actually fed to dogs. He just imagines that's what happened to them.

Onto the Irish lad who sees angels now. Was expecting weird, slimy cosmic horror to be honest, but I'm enraptured now.

*I know it's not fair to compare books to video games, but off the top of my head that's the trashiest example I can think of. The only other one I can think of is Rawhead Rex where Rex rips a dude's bits off.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

anilEhilated posted:

Your Poisoned Dreams by Michael Minnis.

Added to Kindle buy list. This new obsession is going to bankrupt me.

In the second "Worlds of Hurt" story a crucified Christ pulls himself from the cross he's nailed to above the altar of a church and stalks the narrator to his hiding space in the confessional booth/

Is that from something? Or has it happened in a film or TV show? When it happened I got the most vivid flashes of remembrance.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

General Battuta posted:

End of Evangelion? (oh god trap sprung) (anime-isms aside very good horror though)

Never watched that, but maybe someone showed me a clip online once?

Would the general horror thread be a better place to ask about Splatterpunk?(edit: I could have swore there was a general horror thread.) I only know the Books of Blood come under that moniker and I tried getting a few collections via the kindle and it was... Not what I was expecting. Some dude with a cakewhisk for a knob and people drinking alien blood and punching each others heads off. Maybe my expectations of what Splatterpunk/Extreme Horror should be is a bit off.

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jul 3, 2017

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
My mum's bookshelf is crammed full of Laymon books. Picked up The Box too.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Jedit posted:

The quintessential splatterpunk book is The Light at the End by John Skipp and Craig Spector.

Hahaha if there's meant to be a twist in the book the first Amazon review spoils it full throttle. Book sounds great though, just ordered the hardcover for 3 grand... No, wait. a used paperback for a pound. Sounds like great fun!

Halfway through "Worlds of Hurt" and it's still reading like a modern, dark fantasy more than anything too weird or "cosmic" still enjoying it, mind. Also just got done with Brian Keene's "The Complex" which had some hints at weird, interdimensional shenanigans but was ultimately just a "Crossed" novel. Still alright if you're a fan of blood and guts and naked people.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
It was this thread that put me onto him with the "Earthworm Gods" book which was some pretty good apocalyptic fare.

I *think* that it's not indicative of his usual style though as it's all written as a journal entry of a dying man as he recounts the rise of the worms. The Complex was written in a "present tense" way which only sometimes sat right with me. "Lydia runs to her door..." That kinda thing. Unless it was intentional for that book and the panic it was trying to convey. I plum forget how the other Earthworm Gods books were written.

Ha;fway through the last story in "Worlds of Hurt" and it is extremely my poo poo.

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 6, 2017

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Ornamented Death posted:

Contrast that to someone like Laird Barron: you can track the rise and fall of his star (at least with goons) throughout this thread, largely because while he's a great writer, all of his stories start to blend together after a while.

I was going to delve into Barron next, I'll keep this in mind and just dip in and out.

Do all of Hodge's works share the same mythos? Finished Worlds of Hurt and don't know if I should read Without Purpose or Whom the Gods Would Destroy next. I'm a divvy who asked this before checking his website. Ok, I'll re-phrase this. What other books share the mythos from worlds of hurt?

Much more a fan of the stuff regarding Heaven and the false God who took over in the absence of the deity who made humanity. The vague description of what was waiting after death actually haunted me. It was just off-putting enough to stick with me. I want more of that. The rest of it was great too, but in a different way. The creatures and poor souls cursed(?) with bizarre forms of immortality were fun enough, but really didn't slake my thirst like the weird heaven stuff did.

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 7, 2017

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
We can be our own worst enemies when it comes to this poo poo. Naturally we want more, just like the people in the stories, even though we'll hate it if we got what we wanted. hah.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Sorry about the double post, but...

Any books that death with Cyberpunk meeting Cosmic Horror? I'm nearly done with the first draft of a Cyberpunk noir detective story where the dick in question stumbles across a cult worshipping a long forgotten deity, but it's just wiped me out and I need something to top me up again. In searching I only found a book called "No Dogs in Philly". not read it yet, but the description sounds more fantastical that horror.

I know there's a roleplaying module for GURPS called CthulhuPunk, but from what I can tell it's mostly an excuse to stat Cthulhu and then seeing how many Augmented Wolverine Robots it would take to kill him off.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Sold!

You're not half on the ball, Ornamented. Haha.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Thanks for recommending the Atrocity Archives, thread. Only in the early pages of book one but I have a feeling it's a winner.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Can they be read on their own? I'm not going to get to book 8 and be left hanging like Game of Thrones fans have been left, am I?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Skyscraper posted:

vampires and elves

Hahaha what?

I've got the first three books, so I might do one on one off and see where it goes from there.

hopterque posted:

Southern Reach trilogy

These sound like a good romp.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Rough Lobster posted:

Mo was cool when she was a demon killing violinist who rappelled out of helicopters to play her +3 Song of Slaying.

Hahahahah. Even when things go weird in the Atrocity Archives it feels like I'm just skimming the surface of how loving loopy things will eventually get. A moon carved to look like Hitler's head seems tame compared to what I'm imagining that scene.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Ornamented Death posted:

books books books

Well I could do with not eating this week anyway.

MockingQuantum posted:

The movie adaptation of Nevill's The Ritual came out. Doesn't really count but I figured it was worth mentioning anyway.

Holy smokes, yeah, I forgot all about that. I'll have to get the book the trailer looked real decent.

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Sep 19, 2017

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Might be it's just showing in England. The trailer did give an "October" release date.

The book any good? Fair few reviews are saying its a bit long and draws itself out a bit thin.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
JUST started the Southern Reach trilogy and the trailer for Annihilation drops. Looking forward to reading this.

edit: Yeah, couldn't post the trailer because I'm in work. Cheers, Hopterque.

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 28, 2017

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I'll give that a go. Cheers.

Hey, so is the consensus that nothing ever gets explained in the Southern Reach trilogy? I really enjoyed Annihilation for all the weirdness and yeah, I don't want to be spoon-fed every last little detail, but are the other two books as odd?

No idea how they're going to turn this into a film.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Proteus Jones posted:

Thanks for this. I wasn't even aware a third was coming out.

Same! I didn't like "Full of Spiders" as much as "Dies" but I'll be picking it up anyway.

Sorry for bringing this up again, but my "weird tales" book is free over this weekend if anyone fancies it.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N9XMZWX

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I know people think it's "wanky" because of the formatting, but House of Leaves gave me nightmares when I first read it. I can't even attribute it to being a kid because I was in my twenties. I loving love spatial horror though so it got me good.

Repeating myself from earlier in the thread too, but "Worlds of Hurt" haunted me from the brief and vague description of what happens to our souls when we die.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

do you have that quote form worlds of hurt handy?

I'm not sure it'd work out of context because it's REALLY vague and you need the setup that God has left this universe that he created and something else has taken his place and it using our souls for... Something?. I'll jump on my home account via my phone and try and copy it across from my phone's kindle.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Ornamented Death posted:

I'll ask Brian what his plans are for it.

I'd love to pick his stuff up in paperback format if you have any pull with him. Haha.

I think you said previously that there were some contractual blockades or something with a now defunct publisher stopping that though?

Man, there's so many books that are only available via kindle(or not at all) and I really can't get into e-reading.

To keep things on track to new David Wong book is a return to form. Wasn't a fan of "Spiders", but "What the Hell" has been real good so far... y'know... if you like knob jokes.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Sorry to ask this here, but like someone else has said, this seems to be the "Horror" thread in the Book Barn and I don't know where else would be a good fit for this.

I was thinking about sending some submissions out to various extreme horror press companies and a fair few of them express interest in Bizarro Horror and I figure I might try and try my hand at that as well. Anyone got some recommendations? My mates ex actually gave me "The Haunted Vagina" and "Baby Jesus Buttplug". Never read them though, always figured they were gag books. Stuff you don't actually read and just have on your shelf for a laugh, y'know?

According to Goodreads David Wong's stuff is considered Bizarro and that's more what I enjoy reading. I'm probably going to pick up "Night of the Assholes" too. That sounds like a laugh. Any other titles I should check out?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Hahaha. I'll read Buttplug tonight then... God, never thought I'd say that. Cheers mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Skyscraper posted:

Is David Wong actually bizarro horror? It seems really unlike Carlton Mellick but I don't have a good idea of the genre.

From what I gather the term can be really broad and cover any kind of horror that has some satirical and absurd bent to it. So Wong is on the classier end of the scale with his Holy Dildo-Cannons and Mellick is down the bottom with his Haunted Vaginas.

I'm trying to gun for something akin to a horror version of the telly show BOTTOM.

I'd much prefer to stick to extreme/cosmic stuff but there's barely any companies accepting right now.

MockingQuantum posted:

I feel like I need to read some bizarro just so I know wtf people are going on about when they talk about it, but it in no way sounds appetizing.

Same. I'm just hoping it isn't ALL "Arse-Goblins".