Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I am a huge fan of Lovecraft. When I get bored with him, I like to go back to his big inspirations, especially Lord Dunsany (get this collection! and Robert Chambers get this, even though most of it is kind of lame, The King in Yellow is utterly brilliant.

Dunsany has the absolute best prose of anybody, period. I went on to buy a lot of his other works, and while nothing really touches Pegana, it's still fascinating.

Ornamented Death posted:

Twitch...twitch...

Don't read anything remotely related to cosmic horror if it was written by Derleth. Check out his ghost stories, or his Solar Pons stories. Those are good, but he completely and totally missed the point with cosmic horror.

I hate Derleth with such a passion. Not only did he pervert Lovecraft's mythos to suit his own stupid neo-Christian scheme, but he made up so much bullshit that is now thought to be canon it makes me sick. Every time somebody calls Hastur the King in Yellow, I want to go dig up Derleth's corpse and spit in his face. Cthulhu's 'half-brother?' C'mon, you stupid poo poo, the Great Old Ones have no need for relations - they always have been, and always will be. Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn!

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Yggdrassil posted:

I've order the Simon Necronomicon from amazon a few days ago, after reading the Call of Cthulhu and exploring the Lovecraft universe. I wanted to know... what should i expect to find within it? The Mad Arab's story? The spells? Im just curious, because i haven't managed to get much info about it.

I own it and have read it from cover to cover.

It's stupid.

Also, I ordered this from the internet:

I love Robert Chambers.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Shonagon posted:

That is cool, but NB you can get Chambers free on Project Gutenberg if you have a Kindle. Mind you, everything that isn't King in Yellow has been crap so far.

Oh I know. I downloaded it to my phone. I also have the collection of his weird tales. So technically I already had two copies of The King in Yellow.

Doesn't mean owning the old musty version with the cool artwork is a bad thing!