Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

They've got suicide booths though, so that's pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Flopstick posted:

Well, I've just published a new cosmic horror novel. Took me two and a half bloody years to research and write, so I've basically got no objectivity left - and reviews aren't in yet - but early feedback has been gratifyingly positive. If anyone fancies an excursion to a remote Siberian plateau where a covert FSB medical experiment might be about to go horribly wrong, I've sorted a goon discount: 50% off with code BZ24P at Smashwords. :ssh: It's also on Amazon and should be percolating through to other channels soon. Available in paperback as well, for them as prefer.

Anyone read his new one? Apparently it was a bit of an extended dig at HPL fandom (long, long overdue, if so) and got a few people's backs up. Sounded promising though. However, my favourite of his will probably always be 'Inky, Blinky, Pinky, Nyarlathotep.' Great little story, that.

By new one do you mean the HPL/Hunter S Thompson joint? Because I loved it. Can't imagine how people'd get upset about it, but I've always enjoyed Cthulthu (look, I'm from one of those universes where that's the correct spelling, like the Berenstain/Berenstein Bears thing only more tentacles) best as crossover. Cthulthu pulp detective, Cthulthu beatniks, they just work better for me than the staid academic tremulously losing his sanity over the idea that a giant octopus monster is going to kill us all.

*edit* I see that you do not. If anyone hasn't read The Damned Highway, they should.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

mdemone posted:

gently caress yeah, I literally just walked out of B&N with issue 01 of the Black Monday Murders after totally walking in there with every intention of buying other things. I was goofing around in graphic novels looking for that "Damned Highway" book (which they don't have, aargh)...and I got sucked in by that one instead.

I never was into comics/graphic novels but my eyes are opening to the fact there's some really amazing stuff in the genre. Obviously I'd read Watchmen but not really gotten much further than that.

My wallet is not pleased at this development. :(

I had to get Damned Highway from a third party seller on Amazon. Couldn't get local stores to order a copy for whatever reason (tbf they both went out of business within the year so that was probably why) and Amazon themselves didn't have a copy.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Xotl posted:

I don't think that's fair. He's pretty dismissive of certain Lovecraft stories, for instance. And he savages certain Mythos writers (mainly Lumley; hard to argue there) while praising others (Ligotti especially), but always offers reasons.

Lumley understands the Mythos perfectly, he just uses that understanding to satirical effect. Joshi can't handle someone not taking Lovecraft seriously and still writing perfectly Lovecraftian pastiches. Joshi is a failed academic.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

anilEhilated posted:

What's the goonstance on Nick Mamatas? He's got a book in the latest Humble Bundle and the description sounds like it could be either pretty fun or incredibly stupid depending on the writing.

When he's doing a pastiche of HPL and HST or HPL and the beatniks he's extremely fun. His own writing is terrible though.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ornamented Death posted:

I wish there was a legal way to get ahold of the original version of JDATE. I didn't read it until a five or so years ago, and I'd like to see what was changed.

Check your post office around midnight after smoking a bunch of herb, that's how I got mine. As tradition demands with a book like that I put it back where I found it once I'd finished it.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Book is Full of Spiders and What the Hell Did I Just Read (how the heck do I abbreviate these?) massively dialled back on how Dave is a barely functioning psychopath...

S P O I L E R S F O R A N O L D A S S B O O K
I thought Dave changed halfway through JDatE when he got murdered by Korok and replaced by !Dave who is Dave for the rest of the book(s). I kind of assumed that's why he was so generically heroic etc. because that's how his friends saw him and so that's who he ended up being, the same way the reporter was a crusty white dude because that's who he was expecting rather than being the actual (black) reporter.

^^^If you find a book in the wild you'd better put it back there, they don't take to domestication once they've had a taste of freedom ime.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Something fitting about this thread sinking into the nighted Abyss only to be occasionally resurrected. Just resist the temptation to close it.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, new thread sounds good!

I've recently been doing a nostalgia tour of 80's and 90's splatterpunk fiction and this thread isn't really the place to talk about them (they're admittedly lacking in subtle cosmic terror).

Have you read Silver Scream? It's a horror anthology and where I read my first splatterpunk, so it's near and dear to my heart. All movie themed or movie adjacent horror stories.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

A modern take on the Mythos. The rest of the stories are good as well but that was my personal favorite. It's nice to find a new author.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Skyscraper posted:

Judging from my reaction to Three-Body Problem, I guess that "strange and terrifying aliens are coming to do bad things to everyone on earth, here's a big clock letting you know how long you have left to live" is a plot point I'm way into.

That entire trilogy is extremely cosmic horror and good.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Skyscraper posted:

If they understand that people want the Thomas Ligotti Power Hour, why do they not deliver it? I at first thought it was accidental, but now it sounds like they know and just don't want to give people what they liked in the first season.

Because they'd have to admit they were just translating someone else's vision. Nobody liked TD season two because it was entirely their vision and it sucked. I still recommend season one to people though.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

chernobyl kinsman posted:

aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAa

BotL got banned, let people read and recommend what they like.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The Laundry books rapidly get away from fun office politics with a smattering of eldritch horror and towards the breakdown of reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Hey this was neat, thanks for linking it.