Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
James Lovegrove wrote a three books "alternate history" in which Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson encountered the Cthulhu Mythos, starting with The Shadwell Shadows. I thought he did a pretty good job of bringing those not entirely dissimilar worlds together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

anilEhilated posted:

That may be, but it's not horror. They're bog-standard adventure romps with props borrowed from Lovecraft. The premise of the Holmes stories being sanitized versions of what really happened is cool but the books never capitalize on it.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I thought the books did an excellent job of creating and maintaining a Lovecraftian atmosphere of dread and not quite hopelessness. It was interesting to see Watson contrasting the way things appeared in the stories with the hosed up circumstances of how things actually were. The trilogy kind of makes me want to head over to RPoL.net and see if I can find a Cthulhu by Gaslight game that's active and accepting players.

I figure that if True Detective Season One and The Immortal Hulk count, this trilogy (and it is a trilogy with a beginning middle and end) should certainly count as well.

Meanwhile I'm expecting the latest in Jonathan Maberry's Joe Ledger series to arrive Nov. 5 After starting out as an action/syfy-horror series, it's introduced several elements that seem to be slowly turning it into something out of Delta Green.

That is very much a good thing.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 30, 2019

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Drunken Baker posted:

Just a little thing I was pondering the other day thinking back on Brian Hodge's "World of Hurt". What's the crossover where theological horror becomes cosmic?

And what I mean by that is, in World's of Hurt the driving force behind the events of the book is that God has abandoned us and something else has taken his place. Angels are summoned, people have visions of Jesus statues coming to life and those who have had near death experiences are terrified of dying again because Heaven isn't heaven any more. It's all very rooted in the known but I still classify it as cosmic horror because it's dealing with an unknown factor so beyond us.

I also put myself through King's Resurrection because it dealt with a similar theme. loving hell, that took some doing. Did we really need an entire chapter dedicated to our main character's first boner, King?

The path to cosmic Ant Hell runs through the boner.