Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Made my way through the first four Laundry Files books. I enjoyed them quite a bit, although they consistently had endings that just fell flat for me. The fourth book does leave me looking forward to the next one though.

But if I may bitch for a moment... Bob and Mo have the most uninteresting relationship. I was seriously bummed out that Ramona the succubus/half BLUE HADES didn't stick around, because their one book of dealing with each other was more interesting and entertaining to read than anything Bob and Mo have done in four books. The only really interesting aspect of Mo is her violin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Friendless posted:

I'm also just starting The Imago Sequence. Picked it up after it was recommended in the thread. It's definitely above the median for short horror fiction, but I'm two stories in and despite good elements it feels a little unpolished. I think my biggest problem is that it feels to me like he can't keep a firm hold on his narrators' voices. In Old Virginia I never felt like I was seeing things through the narrator's eyes, and his reactions to things rang false. In Shiva, Open Your Eye it was like the narrator kept switching between his two aspects (mortal manifestation of something eternal nearing the end of its life / the eternal thing itself). I never got the sense that I was listening to the former fumbling to understand the latter, which is the part of the story that really interested me.

Did anyone else get that, or is it just me? How do people feel about Barron's characterisation overall?

I was pretty disappointed in this book overall. Outside of the characterization issues, Barron's writing was just good enough to let me figure out what he's shooting for with each story, but not good enough to really make me give a poo poo. The stories can be a bit scatterbrained at times, and I kept feeling the same sense of disappointment at the endings. The Imago Sequence, the story the book took its title from, was probably my favorite of the bunch but even it suffered from an ending that just sort of...happened.

I don't think I'll really dig through his other stuff at this point. I know he seems relatively popular around here, and he seems to have cool ideas, but he just doesn't tell the story well.