Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One
Jan 9, 2003
My username is creative.
I just recently got into this stuff too. Besides Lovecraft I've enjoyed William Hope Hodgeson, Lord Dunsany, and Clark Ashton Smith for this sort of writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One
Jan 9, 2003
My username is creative.

MockingQuantum posted:

For those interested in reading some Thomas Ligotti, one of his short stories (I'm told it's one of his best) can be found here: http://www.ligotti.net/showthread.php?t=433

Thanks for that link. Has anyone ever read House on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgeson? There's a really good audiobook version of it out there and I found that story really enjoyable and actually a little scary. It probably had a lot to do with listening to it in the dark at 2am with rain outside though. There's a lot of good Lovecraft stuff in audio format too. Some of the Librivox readers make me want to stab my eardrums out though. I know it's a volunteer thing but I wish people didn't use it as an opportunity to practice their English. Lovecraft stories rely a lot on creating an atmosphere and it's ruined by people mangling the names or reading in some inappropriate tone. There's this guy who reads Clark Ashton Smith stuff and constantly mispronounces semi-archaic words left and right.

One
Jan 9, 2003
My username is creative.

Evfedu posted:

This is a really good recommendation.

EDIT: Also, I'd really recommend the CONEX series.

With Cosmic Horror in general, does anyone find that the best bits are the nagging, inevitable sense of wrongness, rather than the actual "mountainous creatures of three-lidded eyes rising from the core of the earth" payoff at the end? With Conex in particular, finding out that poo poo was going horribly wrong was way more fun than when it all actually went wrong.

I definitely agree that the best part is the dread and knowledge of evil acts going on somewhere out there. I really liked the Horror at Red Hook by Lovecraft for this kind of thing. Where you hear noises coming from a place and know there's a cult out there having rituals but you aren't there to see it happen. You investigate the aftermath. awesome.

One
Jan 9, 2003
My username is creative.

Kerbtree posted:

If you're having trouble reading HPL, how about listening?

Man I thought this was possibly the best thing ever when I thought it was professional sounding readings of all the stories so I downloaded like 30 episodes and then realized that only like 8 stories were straight readings. The rest are just snippets of story then 2 guys bantering about the story. My excitement plummeted through the floor. I guess it's not so bad a thing in and of itself but it could have been a treasure if they just had full readings with no banter.

One
Jan 9, 2003
My username is creative.
I love the old timey language. I sometimes put on audiobooks of Lovecraft stories to fall asleep at night.