Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I think that most stuff by Michael Cisco might qualify. I've only read The Tyrant, The San Veneficio Canon, and The Great Lover but they are all surreal and disorienting. I'm not going to be able to do any justice trying to give a good description other than they are a collection of nightmare imagery, dream-logic insanity, and stream-of-consciousness narration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I just found that they released the Borderlands short story series on Kindle recently. Edited by Thomas F. Monteleone and Elizabeth Monteleone. I read them all in the 90's on paperback, I think they were actually published by White Wolf (of the Vampire RPG fame) at the time or something, but I think many of them fit in the weird horror genre. Some are typical 90's grimdark, but others are really good. I wanted to find them again because I remember "The Pounding Room" by Bentley Little having a big impact on me, and it still did strike me as hilarious and scary at the same time rereading it 20-some years later. I'd say give the first one a try and if you like at least some of the stories in it you might like the other 4 volumes. One thing I've noticed is that it suffers a bit from scanning, there's a lot of typos that are obvious OCR failures. But they're easy to read around.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

ravenkult posted:

Those are some great anthos. I only own a couple of them in paperback.

I used to have all 5 in paperback, but borrowed them away to people I don't know anymore. There are quite a few stories I'm looking forward to reading again to see if they hold up. I remember two others that stuck with me. One about someone that was basically just a living torso, and one about a child who was just the most horrible thing on the face of the earth. I just finished reading the one about "Little brother"...still gave me chills. "Eat me."

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I remember a couple of novels from the same publisher and time period that I thought I got into from the Borderlands series, but looking through the indexes maybe not? William Browning Spencer. I remember Return of the Count Electric being weird and disturbing as hell. I thought I found him through Borderlands, but maybe it was just similar cover art in the horror section of Border's.

I think the Borderlands series got me started into weird horror outside of classic stuff like Lovecraft. These days I would say I think Ligotti and Cisco are much better, but reading these shorts again, they're not bad.

(Edit) Also looking over the indexes, most of my favorite stories from these are apparently from Bentley Little. Anyone read Little over the past couple years to confirm if I should buy all the books?

Section 9 fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 19, 2015

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
While trying to hunt down another story tonight I was looking through the author lists from the Borderlands series and was reminded that the story that really stuck out in my mind was "The Pounding Room" by Bentley Little. So I checked into him and found he had a ton of stuff. Is most of his stuff as goofy/weird as "The Pounding Room" and "The Potato"? Can anyone recommend any of his books based on liking at least those two stories?