Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ornamented Death posted:

Ligotti is certainly a talented writer, but the way he approaches keeping his poo poo in print is loving infuriating. I'm all for signed limited editions, god knows my shelves are full of them, but put out a drat trade paperback or an ebook, too.

I've never seen an author as popular as Ligotti that is so seemingly against having people actually read his stories. I think I mentioned it before, but I essentially don't recommend Ligotti anymore because it only irritates people when they learn they're going to have to drop $40 (if they're lucky) for just one of his books. There are numerous writers that are just as good as Ligotti and that have the added bonus of being constantly in-print and affordable.

The goofy thing about Ligotti is that his actual books are hard to find but the comic book adaptations of his stories are readily available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been reading The Light is the Darkness and man, that book is loving weird.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The ironic part of Ligotti's career is that when he was writing you couldn't find his work but now that he's quit its becoming more available. For the longest time his short stories were only available through small print regional publishers who didn't sell their stuff to/through Amazon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Ligotti is such a great writer - his prose is so much better than any one else in the genre. But I wonder, is his persona for real or is it all just an elaborate joke? The Conspiracy Against the Human Race just seems way too grim and over the top to take seriously, especially when stories like Our Temporary Supervisor and The Shadow, the Darkness display a pretty awesome sense of humour.

There's a short story (I think by Laird Barron?) that pokes fun at Ligotti's seriousness.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think it would have been just as interesting without the monster killing people.