Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

Helical Nightmares posted:

Frontier Death Song by Laird Barron. The link also contains an audiobook version.

http://www.nightmare-magazine.com/fiction/frontier-death-song/

Bulldozer by Barron is pretty decent for Western horror. It’s about a Pinkerton chasing around a cultist. I just read it in that Lovecraft’s Monsters collection. The rest of the stories are a mix of good to okayish to bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

Can anyone recommend anything reading/movie wise that follows that premise?

I had a book when I was young called “Railway Ghosts and Highway Horrors” that made me fear driving late at night on backroads by myself.

I thought Brotherhood of the Wheel would be like that but after the first chapter it just turned out to be... bad.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I asked a version of this question in the general horror thread, but are there any non-short story cosmic horror novels or series?

I read the first laundry files book and didn’t like the humor / office politics and bureaucracy stuff.

I want to read a multi book epic about elder gods trying to eat the world. Am I gonna have to write it myself?

Agents of Dreamland by Caitlin Kiernan is a multi book series. I only read the first book which is short but if left me wanting to read the others.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

Bilirubin posted:

They are three novelettes (Agents of Dreamland, Black Helicopters, and The Tindalos Asset), of which the first two are best IMO. The third gets that cosmic flair but seems to be somewhat incomplete to me. They aren't really connected story wise.

Thanks! I’ve been looking to add them to the queue so that helps.

I just finished Lagan’s
The Fisherman which is the first story of his I’ve really enjoyed. His other stuff just kinda falls flat for me but the Fisherman nailed incomprehensible beings for me.