Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Ornamented Death posted:

Noctuary and Grimscribe ebooks are $2.99 right now.

Thanks for the heads up.

Also, I just finished Apocalypse Codex. I enjoyed it more than I did The Fuller Memorandum and I can't decide if I like the "in" jokes and consistent callbacks, which are then explained again in full, or hate them. It makes it hard to recommend to friends that haven't started with The Atrocity Archives.

This might be a pipe dream, but I wouldn't mind a collection of short stories featuring Howard, Mo, BASHFUL INCENDIARY, & JOHNNY PRINCE that has a larger overarching theme of events. Or, better yet, Accelerando meets Mahogany Row.

MockingQuantum posted:

Well I've seen the movie, but that makes me feel as though I need to bump Laundry Files up my required reading list.

I you don't like The Laundry Files you just don't like fun.

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Neurosis posted:

I should add I finished reading Declare a couple of weeks before reading the Laundry Files so it would probably always look bad by comparison.

See that's funny, I've never felt emotionally invested in any of Tim Powers' characters. I could give a poo poo less if they lived, died, or did anything at all. I've stopped reading Declare about half way through some months ago and have no interest in finishing it any time soon. I finished Three Days to Never through sheer pigheadedness that there was going to be a pay off. It's a shame too because I hear that the plot of Anubis Gates is really good.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Keep reading them. She doesn't.

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 8, 2012

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

I bought John Hornor Jacobs's Southern Gods when it was on sale a while back, anybody read it? I'm going to start it soon, and I'm wondering whether I should get my hopes up.

I bought that at the same time, going to start it tomorrow. Just found out about and finished the first Delta Green book, don't think I'll continue. Instead I think I'll play some Wolfenstien.

E: Has anyone read Dead Space: Catalyst? I read Martyr ages ago and enjoyed it.

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 2, 2013

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

That, with some Art Bell in the background, sounds like some great mental hijinks.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Finished Southern Gods last night. It was pretty decent. I enjoyed the shout outs to other mythos stories. There was some great, creepy atmosphere, enough to make me jump when my wife quietly entered the room from the corner of my vision at one point. I would defiantly recommend it for a fun quick read.

I also would love to see Guillermo del Toro's take on this. I think there's enough of a "Kronos", "Pan's Labyrinth", "Devil's Backbone" thing going on that has a lot of potential.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Have you tried Liminal States by our very own Zack Parsons?

Also, just found this after a google search. It seems to have favorable reviews. The Amulet.

This has met with mixed opinions. Hardboiled Cthulu: Two-Fisted Tales of Tentacled Terror.
You can't beat the subtitle though.

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 20, 2013

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Just finished with The Impossible Object. I blew through all four stories in one sitting and would recommend it, but it feels like it could be so much more.

In other news Tor.com posted Equoid awhile back (A little appetizer before the next Laundry Files book comes out in July). I haven't seen mention of it in the thread nor have I gotten around to reading it yet.

Just started The Void which was recommended early in this thread, and so far it's off to a great start. So much so that I have That Which Should Not Be sitting next in my queue.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

I felt the same way. About halfway through I just thought to myself "Umm...Nope." and set it down. It's to bad too. The Anubis Gates keeps getting recommended to me, But after torturing myself through Three Days To Never and completely giving up on On Stranger Tides and Declare! I just can't bring myself to do it.

A little off topic, I'm two books through James S. A. Corey's Expanse trilogy and it's pretty okay. It's really more of space opera, political thriller, but there is an eldrich bio-weapon (maybe) that feels to be inspired by a combination of Lovecraft and Gieger.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Quick reminder. Book 5 of The Laundry Files will be available on the 3rd. There's a somewhat humorous competition underway on Charlie's Blog and he posted the first chapter there today.

Edit: Just checked and Amazon has the kindle release date as the first.

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 30, 2014

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Dan Simmons' "The Terror". Some of the stories in Clive Barker's "Books of Blood".

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Aspies on a Plane. Also, a great sleeping aid.

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 22, 2014

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Roark posted:

Is this the right thread for Arthur Machen and Algernon Blackwood chat? I picked up the two Penguin collections of their works, and I've been enjoying them quite a bit (although, weirdly, the Machen collection doesn't have "The Great God Pan").

"The Great God Pan" is available from Project Gutenberg if anyone needs it.

I just finished "The Colony" by F.G.Cottam . I went in blind not knowing anything about the author or book other than the synopsis and found it an enjoyable, quick read. I will say that if you can't stand poor editing or formatting errors stay the hell away. I'm usually pretty lenient when it comes to that but it irritated me at times.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

j. alfred moonrock posted:

Finished Vandermeer's Southern Reach trilogy recently loved it. Coincidentally I then found this thread and immediately was blown away by A Colder War. Any other recommendations re: the intersection of cosmic weirdness and espionage / shadowy govt agency stuff?

Tim Powers' Anubis Gates and Declare!. Some Australian author's something Peel Files. And a series of shorts based on the delta green rpg. On my phone I'll update w/ links soon.

E: "The Harrison Peel Files" by David Conyers. Follows an Australian Army Officer that quickly gets wrapped up in Lovecraft mythos. I flew through the first two books. I didn't dislike them, but it felt like it was missing just a little of something that would make it really entertaining.

Tim Powers gets a lot of love. Personally, I can't stand him. YMMV.

The Delta Green Series. More of a Special Forces meets the unknowable, I feel the same way of this as I do The Harrison Peel stuff. Like it's missing just a dash of salt.

These are more of a "boots on the ground" perspective rather than a LeCarreian back room ballet of espionage though.

Sometime around Halloween there was a collection of hard boiled private eye / mythos stories on sale at amazon. Does anyone remember the title?
E2: Found it.

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 20, 2014

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

The Expanse series by James S.A. Corey is pretty good.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Can anyone comment on Tim Curran's The Hive vs. The Dead Sea? I finished The Dead Sea a bit ago and while I enjoyed it I felt it could have been about a hundred pages shorter without him mentioning that, "There's seaweed everywhere and this place is creepy. No, seriously, it's really creepy.", every other paragraph.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Glad at least one other person felt the same. Thought I was just being jaded. There are a lot of books that I want to read coming out soon, but I'll check out The Hive and the sequel once I'm through with those.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Ages and ages ago there was a thread in GBS , I think, of goons reading Lovecraft. There weren't many entries, but some of them were pretty well done. Does anyone happen to have these? I'm sure the links are long dead (or perhaps just eternally sleeping).

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

I've always enjoyed Picman's Model and Color Out of Space. Outside of that I've enjoyed where other people have taken the broad brush strokes of his concepts.

Lingotti's just too oppressive (or depressive) to be enjoyable. Simmons is too dry. Curran, too repeatative.

I've always enjoyed Stross, but more so for his short stories rather than the novels.

Does anybody have any suggestions for just open ended weird not related to mythos and not Lingotti? Maybe along the lines of Liminal States?

Hell, maybe I'll just read that again.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

oops. Dp.

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 6, 2015

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

CuddleChunks posted:

Here's my entries from that thread: http://tindeck.com/album/ivzvl

Awesome. Thanks, buddy.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

The Void always struck me as, someone wanted to write a sequel or something in the same universe and unintentionally wrote the same thing.

I've read That Which Should Not Be , but honestly couldn't tell you a thing about it. Whether the eldritch gods have blocked from my memory or it was just unimpressive who's to say.

I wish that they had kept a little of the existential creep factor with the Expanse series. Pray to God they do it justice on syfy, because the first three books were pretty darn good.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

End Of Worlds posted:

which features as its protagonist a dude who practices his tattoo art on corpses in a morgue.

That didn't really sound all that creepy until I read the story about the guy tattooing pigs for handbags.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Stross has a habit of writing himself into corners when it comes to large story arcs (See: The Eschaton series) and has admitted as much on his blog in the past. The first two books were mearly meant to be pastiches to his favorite cold war spy authors LeCarre and Fleming respectively. Once the stories took on a life of their own he followed what he thought was a suitable progression which unfortunately resulted in Bob becoming an eldrich Superman. Not really many places to go after that.

I really do enjoy his sense of humor and kind of miss young Bob whose lack of experience would lead to some pretty amusing calamity. Couple that together with Charlie's recent desire to drop SF altogether to pursue his fantasy series and I don't think I'll be reading much of his work in the near future.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

They were war ships before being repurposed for exploration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Terror_%281813%29

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

ravenkult posted:

The Terror has me in some kind of trance, where I read 300 pages but then my reader says it's actually only been 10.

Non-euclidean page counts. :spooky: I gave up halfway through. May get back to it someday, but doubtful.

On another note, I'm halfway through Annihilation Score and am thinking that it would be great short story had it not taken place in the Laundry universe. I kind of liked Mo previous to this.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

PayHip posted:

You don't have permission to access /b/7RDN on this server.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Forgall posted:

You are not hip enough to pay.

I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you!

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Helical Nightmares posted:

Finished the Delta Green anthology Extraordinary Renditions. Most of the stories are quite good. Significantly above par for a weird fiction/new Lovecraftian fiction short story collection.

I may check that out, then. I read Denied to the Enemy a while back and wasn't really impressed.

If you like that kind of stuff, I'll recommend The Harrison Peel Files . Although somewhat lacking, they're entertaining enough.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Thought you guys might be interested in some oddness going on over at reddit. It has moments that somewhat remind me of Liminal States.

E: The wiki has a more linear layout with external links to references if you're into that sort of thing. https://www.reddit.com/r/9M9H9E9/wiki/narrative

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 30, 2016

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Can't remember if it's been mentioned, but I'm about half way through with The Amulet. It's pretty entertaining so far. Nice little mash-up between Dashiell Hammett and HPL. I'll probably check out the other two books after I finish this.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

^ An hour of my life just blew by fiddling around with this.

Daveski posted:

That sounds rad, I'd be interested to hear what you think when you finish it.

I was finally able to finish it last night. Overall, it was really entertaining. Perhaps the Dashiell Hammett comment was being a little generous, but definitely has that noir detective feel to it. I don't now if it was intentional or if it was just me, but I felt like there were a couple of nudges to Big Trouble In Little China and Hellboy around the climax. It kind of brought me back to the feeling I had when I first picked up The Atrocity Archives and Jennifer Morgue. Thumbs up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

From the two descriptions in this thread Angel of the Abyss sounds a lot like John Carpenter's Cigarette Burns. If mysterious movies are your thing, I recommend checking it out.

E: And after reading the synopsis on Amazon, I guess it's not that close. I'd still recommend seeing it. It has a very Club Dumas/Foucault's Pendulum feel. Plus anything with Udo Kier is a bonus.

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 5, 2017