Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

GrandpaPants posted:

Thanks for the heads up on this. Hopefully I can snag a copy before it instantly goes out of print like all the other Ligotti works. Is Subterranean Press done with the republishings? Is there even anything left to reprint?

Also, as someone who doesn't have the originals, how do they actually compare with the reprints? I know Ligotti personally revised them, but I don't know if it's for the better or worse.

Bad Moon typically does a TPB printing of their books, so it shouldn't go out of print too fast.

As far as comparing the revised editions to the originals, I know Tom cleans up the language a lot, and sometimes edits scenes he found to not be succinct enough, but the you don't lose anything by reading the originals and not the revised editions, or vice versa.

edit: Does Declare ever get to the spooky poo poo? I'm 100 pages in and reading about a bunch of mundane (as in, not supernatural) spy poo poo. I mean, it's competently written and probably very interesting if you're in to that kind of stuff, but I was promised some spooky poo poo and it is not delivering as of yet.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

KomradeX posted:

So I picked up Future Lovecraft awhile back and haven't gotten the chance to read it yet, and somebody up thread said it was terrible, can anyone elaborate on that? I'm a huge fan of the scifi/horror genre and I'd be kind of disappointed if it did suck.

That was me, and what I can remember at this point is that the stories were bad and not terribly true to the anthology's theme. If you want scifi/horror, pick up The Void by Brett Talley; it's as close as you can get to a novelization of Event Horizon without reading the novelization of Event Horizon, and I mean that in a good way.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Bolverkur posted:

Brilliant, thanks for that! I have read none of the stories you mentioned (haven't even heard of them, eeheeeh), so I'll give it a try! After reading Joe Hill's 20th Century Ghosts, which I loved, I'm in the mood for some more horror short stories.

Just be aware that the stories in BoC are very different from most of Joe Hill's stuff. BoC is definitely more overt horror than anything of Hill's.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think I actually prefer Laird Barron's more straightforward monster type stuff even if the other varieties are more well-written. This hallucinogenic dream logic style stuff really gets under my skin in an uncomfortable way, worse than Thomas Ligotti even.

That's the point, isn't it?

It's been a rough week or so for the horror world. David Silva passed away last week, James Herbert yesterday, and Rick Hautala today.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

PrBacterio posted:

Call me weird now but that actually makes me want to check out some of this Laird Barron guy's stuff (I've never heard of him before), what's a good place to start? (Also, pictures of mass graves and the like don't make me feel horror actually, it just makes me feel sad, I suppose...)

The Imago Sequence is the best place to start with Barron. Then move on to Occultation if you like him.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

PrBacterio posted:

Alright, I've started on that now, and I've got to say, I don't see any of this "really uncomfortable" stuff the other dude was talking about. These stories aren't actually badly written but so far there was nothing particularly interesting about them at all, and on top of that, they were entirely too predictable. I was expecting a little more when I read that other dude's post describing how he doesn't like his stories because they go outside of his comfort zone of "fun scary" veering too far off into "truly incomfortable-scary" territory. Is that just because this is the wrong book of his for that purpose, or what?

I think it's a personal thing. Barron's stories didn't make me uncomfortable, per se, but they do invoke a certain sense of this poo poo is really hosed up! that I can definitely see getting to some people.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

JerryLee posted:

I wanted to thank this thread for turning me on to Barron. I just finished Imago Sequence and it's pretty much a given that I'll be picking up Occultation next time I visit the library. I definitely see what people say about his work being really weird but it didn't seem like more than what I know I'm signing up for when I read cosmic horror, so to speak. I've read more uncomfortable stuff in bog-standard epic fantasy novels.

I can see where people are coming from. Reading some of Barron's stories puts me in a mental state that I have to assume is similar to taking some lightly psychotropic drugs; poo poo just gets real weird and I feel weird and weirdweirdweirdweirdOHGODSHE'SRIDINGHIMweirdweirdweird.

In a similar vein, I haven't been able to read any Ligotti for years because his work always kind of depressed me and I've been fighting actual depression for a while and I don't think I want to mix the two.

Books: they are like drugs sometimes.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Smapti posted:

I've had his new anthology on preorder from Amazon forever; I hope it actually comes out sometime soon.

The Night Shade deal has been settled so we should be getting an update sometime soon.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I'm glad that my constant recommending of Laird Barron has accomplished something.

Now I need to get all of you reading Caitlin Kiernan...

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The Red Tree is as good a place to start as any.

Actually, the problem with Kiernan is similar to the problem with Ligotti; a lot of her stuff is out of print. All of her short story collections are done by Subterranean Press, and as of yet they haven't put out ebooks. She has a number of novels in paperback, but I can't attest to their quality as the subject matter hasn't caught my interest (outside of The Red Tree, of course).

Her stories can be found in any number of high(er)-profile anthologies, though. I know she has a story in The Book of Cthulhu, The Book of Cthulhu II, and New Cthulhu. My recommendation would be to grab one of those and The Red Tree and to see if you like her. If so, you can start trying to get ahold of the SubPress collections.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Fallom posted:

I've been reading Imago Sequence for the past couple of days. The stories are really hit-and-miss - some of them just go on for way too long and just kind of peter out.

As much as I love Barron, "Procession of the Black Sloth" may be the worst short story I've ever read. It goes on and on and on forever and nothing loving happens!

But bear in mind that The Imago Sequence is Barron's first collection; he gets markedly better as time goes on.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Richard Matheson passed away last night :(.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Dark Regions Press is having a 50% off sale on all in-stock titles. There are a number of titles that would probably be of interest to the folks in this thread.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Smapti posted:

Neat! Are there any that you'd recommend in particular? I'm not familiar with their catalog apart from Simon Strantzas and Richard Gavin.

For those that haven't read them, Stranzas and Gavin are two of the three standouts published by Dark Regions. Any and all of their titles are worth picking up.

I'm a huge fan of Jeffrey Thomas; you can't go wrong with any of his books (though you'll want to pick up Letters From Hades before starting any of the other Hades books). Voices From Punktown would probably be the closest fit, thematically speaking, for this thread.

His brother, Scott Thomas, is also a good writer, though he does ghost stories more than anything else.

Allyson Bird's Isis Unbound won a Stoker, though I haven't personally read it.

William Meikle, William Ollie, and Rick Hautala are all pretty good writers from what I've read of their work, which doesn't actually include anything published by Dark Regions so I can't personally attest to their available titles.

W.H. Pugmire is basically an institution unto himself for Lovecraft mythos stories.

You really can't go wrong with just about anything put out by Dark Regions, especially for these prices.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Barron's new collection is available on Kindle now.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ornamented Death posted:

Barron's new collection is available on Kindle now.

And now Nook if that's your preferred flavor of ereader.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

MockingQuantum posted:

I bought John Hornor Jacobs's Southern Gods when it was on sale a while back, anybody read it? I'm going to start it soon, and I'm wondering whether I should get my hopes up.

I thought it was a lot of fun. The climax leave a bit to be desired, but overall it's a pretty strong Mythos book.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The Rat posted:

I read Hallucigenia by Laird Barron a few days ago and holy loving :stare::stare::stare::stare:

Read it from start to finish around midnight and man were my dreams hosed up. Good poo poo.

That's probably my favorite story from The Imago Sequence.

Have some more Laird Barron. This was a bonus story in the limited edition of The Imago Sequence, and apparently his first published short story.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The hardcover of Barron's new collection has been pushed back into September gently caress I JUST WANT TO READ THE GODDAMN BOOK WHAT IS THE loving HOLDUP

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

BigSkillet posted:

Has there been news anywhere about whether Subterranean Press is going to release a hardcover revision of Teatro Grottesco, or is that collection of interviews their only upcoming Ligotti for the time being?

That one was done by Mythos Books, not Carroll & Graff, so the rights may be a little trickier to unlock; I've heard the guy behind Mythos can be difficult.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Langan isn't as good as Barron, but then no one else is, either. I enjoyed his first collection.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The Kindle version of The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All is on sale for $1.99 this month.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

"Equoid" was pretty good. It's set sometime before The Apocalypse Codex.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Darth Walrus posted:

So, what cosmic horror is best at being cosmic? Y'know, giving a sense of scope and grandeur, conveying a universe that is alien, uncaring, and utterly inimical to human life.

There are the classic answers, Ligotti, Kiernan, and Barron, but here's a new entry: Whom the Gods Would Destroy by Brian Hodge.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I am specifically referring to her short story collections, of which there are several. I keep forgetting they aren't widely available, though :(.

Regarding her novels, I've only read one but my understanding is that the covers have fallen victim to the success of Laurell Hamilton, but the actual stories are nothing like that. I know for a fact this is the case with The Red Tree as it's 100% cosmic horror, albeit perhaps a little more low-key than most folks in this thread would like.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

TOOT BOOT posted:

I really struggle with 'You can't judge a book by its cover' when it comes to genre fiction.

If I wasn't already familiar with Kiernan through her short fiction, I'd probably assume the worst, too.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Neurosis posted:

I started reading The Red Tree, but it moved really loving slowly. I got 28% of the way through before giving up, according to my Kindle, and still nothing interesting had happened. When does it pick up?

It starts getting weird when the main character (been years since I read it, so I can't remember her name) first walks around the tree, and gets progressively weirder after that, culminating in a really hosed up trip through the basement that includes a lot of stuff that goes unexplained (not a terribly specific spoiler, but tagged just in case). However, like I said, it's a low-key story and if the general weird atmosphere didn't do it for you, chances are the few "action" scenes won't, either.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

GrandpaPants posted:

While searching through some cosmic horror on Amazon, I came upon this upcoming new book from Thomas Ligotti: http://www.amazon.com/Spectral-Link-Thomas-Ligotti/dp/1596066504

Link if you want a signed/numbered copy, though frankly I think their price is ridiculous considering what they've ostensibly valued Ligotti's signature at in the past.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Neurosis posted:

Read Whom the Gods Would Destroy. It's good. Very solid prose, hit the right notes. A short read, but that's not a bad thing. Anything else by Hodge in this vein?

Not cosmic horror, no. However, he's been writing for decades, so there's a fair of his stuff in other types of horror. I'm currently reading Dark Advent, which is similar to The Stand except most of the supernatural stuff is gone, and Hodge doesn't meander with the story. without Purpose Without Pity is probably my favorite story of his; it's another short one, but drat is it good.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ninja fetus posted:

Good question. I'm not sure to be honest. I've read Clive Barker's Books of blood and a few Stephen King novels. They were pretty cheesy sometimes although I was entertained for the most part. I guess I'd like my novels to be less cheesy? I'm sorry I can't really put into words what I'm looking for. I'm open to all suggestions and then I'll pick something.

Well here's a brief list of various kinds of horror to get you started.

The Rising by Brian Keene (zombies)
'Salem's Lot by Stephen King (vampires)
Teatro Grottesco by Thomas Ligotti (literary horror and cosmic horror)
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (classic horror)
The Weird edited by Ann and Jeff Vandermeer (weird fiction)
The Hole by William Meikle (monsters)

Cheese levels very from zero to a fair amount.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

You'd probably dig Metro 2033 as well.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Agentdark posted:

I think so. Gah I cant figure out another way to find this story.

It might be "The Children of Asshur." It was a fragment of a Solomon Kane story by Howard, later finished by Ramsey Campbell.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

PateraOctopus posted:

It's been about five or six months now since I read The Imago Sequence and I legitimately can't remember anything from a single one of the stories except the bit in the barn in "Hallucigenia." The stories all felt exactly the same. I really do not understand the love for this author.

Maybe you just don't like Barron? You can not like an author without having to conclude they are terrible. For example, I'm not really fond of Clive Barker, but I recognize that's more a matter of my personal tastes than any failing of his.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

TOOT BOOT posted:

I guess for me part of the problem is that Laird and Ligotti kinda do the same thing except Ligotti does it better. If you're not going to be better than Ligotti at the atmospheric thing then I'd rather you just write straightforward mythos stories.

If you can't be the best at something, don't even try.

That's a great philosophy for life.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I figured out what bothers me about your last few posts. You're not consistent.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think I actually prefer Laird Barron's more straightforward monster type stuff even if the other varieties are more well-written. This hallucinogenic dream logic style stuff really gets under my skin in an uncomfortable way, worse than Thomas Ligotti even.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I guess for me part of the problem is that Laird and Ligotti kinda do the same thing except Ligotti does it better. If you're not going to be better than Ligotti at the atmospheric thing then I'd rather you just write straightforward mythos stories.

You'd rather Barron stick to monster stories because he's both better and worse than Ligotti at essentially the same thing.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Also, I'm looking for some recommendations.

Check out DarkFuse. They've published quite a lot in the last two years, and most of it is pretty good.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The news was only released a couple of days ago, but Michael Shea passed away last month. If you're a regular in this thread, chances are good you've read at least one story by him even if you don't recognize his name.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Neurosis posted:

Anyone have an opinion on Simon Strantzas or Scott Nicolay? Barron is recommending them on his blog but he has steered me wrong before.

I'm a huge fan of Strantzas. His style is like Ligotti mixed with Aickman, its great.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Helical Nightmares posted:

So Steven King,

I vaguely recall a mythos short story he wrote about worms in the earth (likely Chthonians) where the protagonist discovers an underground church where there was an inverted golden cross on the altar. The story may have been bound in a mythos anthology.

Anyone know the name? Apologies if I've asked this before.

It's "Jersualem's Lot".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

There's a tribute anthology to Laird Barron coming out later this year. I don't know that Barron has done enough or been around long enough to warrant a tribute like this, but the list of contributing authors is good so I'l pick up a copy.

The bonus chapbook that comes with the deluxe pack sounds pretty cool if you're in to collecting books. It's not really described on the order page, but one of the editors posted this at ligotti.net:

quote:

Paul Tremblay wrote a "found notebook" story with the title of Notes for the Barn in the Wild. Adding a sense of realism, he did the story by hand, complete with sketches and notes scrawled in the margin. Due to formatting and layout reasons, the version of his story included in the anthology is a typed version with footnotes and italics, so it still works! The exclusive chapbook will be scans of the handwritten edition. It's a real treat, Ross concocted the chapbook because it would be a crime if we couldn't share the handwritten version with readers.

I'm a sucker for "found notebook" stories to begin with, so I'll probably spring for the deluxe edition.