Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

MockingQuantum posted:

Well if Straub really does stink, I need a suggestion for what to read next horror-wise. Is there anything out there that's kind of like The Cipher? Everything about that book was gripping to me. Story, characters, style, prose, tone, it all hit the right notes.

Straub's alright, but all of his best stuff was written 20+ years ago. Dude should retire.

Recommending things like The Cipher is tough because it's such a singularly weird book. Koja wrote other books that covered similar themes, so you might try those (I haven't read any, so I can't vouch for them).

I'll toss out a recommendation for Matthew M. Bartlett. His Leeds, MA, stories are all very weird in interesting ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

MockingQuantum posted:

I remember like, six years ago, there was a book club thing that put out horror/weird fiction novellas on a monthly basis, but it seems like it either went away or changed names, and I can't find it now.

That was DarkFuse; they shut down last year and the rights to everything they published reverted back to the authors. Here's (nearly) everything they published in physical format, though novels and novellas are mixed in together. There's also no guarantee the authors have put their novellas back in print. They also did a bunch of ebook-only stuff, but I don't have a convenient index of those works handy.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

gey muckle mowser posted:

Just curious, what podcasts? I'm always looking for new ones to check out.

Brian Keene (The Horror Show with Brian Keene) and Mary SanGiovanni (Cosmic Shenanigans) have both been praising him a lot recently; Keene's book club is reading A Dark Matter for April.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Probably either the aforementioned Horror Show or then This Is Horror.

From what I’ve listened, The Horror Show is a lot more acerbic and insider-y while This Is Horror has more of a fanboy feel. But while Keene appears to be quite a divisive figure, he is also more entertaining than the TIH guys, who can be a bit fawning.

I like the Horror Show and Keene, but the man's ego is absolutely massive and his thoughts on both his place and importance within the horror genre are horribly inflated.

Like the news and interviews are absolutely worth tuning in for, but be prepared to hear "I'm Brian loving Keene!" at least once every episode.

Also Mary irritates the poo poo out of me a lot of the time.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

He Stepped Through was written fairly early in Southard's writing career, and it shows. He's improved a lot since then.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I wish there was a legal way to get ahold of the original version of JDATE. I didn't read it until a five or so years ago, and I'd like to see what was changed.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

MockingQuantum posted:

True, though not what I was thinking of. It was a reworking of The Night Lands, someone suggested it over reading the original. I can't find out much about the reworking, though, anybody read it?

I have, and highly recommend the reworking. It's called The Night Land: A Story Retold or something like that.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

For the lazy among us.

Ignore the cover, or recognize that The Night Land is a love story...set in a weird, hosed up vision of the far future. Either one works :v:.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I have the US edition of Saturn's Children on my bookshelf, so I am immune to bad covers.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

My friend let me introduce you to the wonderful world of small-press horror publishing.

http://thunderstormbooks.com/thunderstorm/books/

http://dimshores.storenvy.com/products

https://subterraneanpress.com/horror-thriller

Some are good, some are awful, but they're all interesting.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

You have to put it in perspective when it comes to Keene and covers: one of his very early books, Earthworm Gods got a stupid name change (The Conqueror Worms) and one of the worst covers I've ever seen, all against his wishes. He's still bitter about that, 15 years later.

And most of the Maelstrom covers are fine, if a bit uninspired at times.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Is this cover... intentional?

Ornamented Death posted:

...some are awful...

Yep.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hodgson didn't do that weird language thing in other stories; House on the Borderland and Boats of the Glen Carrig are written in perfectly normal English, for example.

On top of that, The Night Land is a perfectly weird story without the horseshit language tricks Hodgson failed at, so reading a version that doesn't make you go cross-eyed is fine.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

skasion posted:

If you don’t like the style, that’s fine, but it was a choice he made in how to present the book (and frankly is not at all hard to understand) which is why I think it’s lame to strip that out for a retelling.

Most people don't like the style, and it's not because it's hard to understand, it's just kind of dumb. The goofy language Hodgson chose to employ doesn't actually add anything to the story. Like, you do not need weird speech cadences to understand that we're not dealing with "modern" times; the fact that it's a weird, hosed up world where the sun has burned out and the last remnants of humanity live in a giant pyramid are more than enough to establish that.

I've read both Hodgson's original and the retelling; you lose literally nothing and probably gain a few hours of your life back by not trudging through his tortured prose.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I was referring to the online serial that predated the Permuted edition.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Neurosis posted:

brian hodge's immaculate void is out. i would be immediately reading it if i weren't locked into my triennial retread of gene wolfe's solar cycle.

Only digitally, though; physical copies are due next month. For those like me that hate trees.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Drunken Baker posted:

Really looking forward to it. It'd also be real nice if his other work got a paper release one day too.

Most, if not all, of his work has seen a physical release. You just have to use the secondary market to get the vast majority of it.

GrandpaPants posted:

Is World of Hurt ever returning to Kindle?

He has the rights back, so most likely. That said, he's lost both of his parents in the past month, so probably not in the near future.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Chas McGill posted:

I like the idea of the protagonist exploring an utterly hostile environment.

Ship of Fools by Richard Paul Russo fits the bill. It's sci-fi horror, and is titled Unto Leviathan if you're in the UK.

Hell House by Richard Matheson is also technically a story about the protagonists exploring an utterly hostile environment, this time a haunted house. But, well, a haunted house story is a far cry from The Night Land so it may not be what you're looking for. And really any haunted house story would probably fit if you squinted enough, but this one is fairly extreme.

Dead Sea by Tm Curran
Brian Keene's The Lost Level books, though they're more....dark adventure than horror.
The Red Tree by Caitlin Kiernan - this is a VERY slow and VERY subtle horror story and is not to everyone's liking
Infinity House by Shane McKenzie - extreme horror, but it fits the bill
Thrall by Mary SanGiovanni
Letters from Hades by Jeffrey Thomas
The Southern Reach Trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer, though moreso the first book, Annihilation

Just some stuff from my own library that I enjoyed and deals with people exploring utterly hostile environments. If I had to pick one, it'd be a tossup between Ship of Fools and Dead Sea.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i don't think the other poster saying it's "Extreme Horror," or that that constitutes a genre, and neither am i. just that the sexual content of it is pretty extreme. it's an adjective, not a category.

Nah I was using it as a category. Writers like McKenzie, Wrath James White, Edward Lee, Monica O'Rourke, and some others are usually described as extreme horror writers. Basically most anything published by Deadite Press and, to a lesser extent, Necro Publications. Your description is spot on, though: it takes sexual content and violence to absurd extremes.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

New thread is probably the way to go.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Brian Hodge's new novel is out in dead-tree format this week. Only about 50 pages in but it's damned good so far.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

NikkolasKing posted:

That sucks. Do you know if the book I linked to is total poo poo then?

Publication Date: May 28, 2016

Yep, almost certainly. That's well after Joshi lost his loving mind.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

NikkolasKing posted:

So going back to my original post, can anybody recommend me any good "thinking" cosmic horror/weird tales stuff besides Lovecraft?

Brian Hodge

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Just finished Immaculate Void, it loving ruled

My only complaint is that because the story got away from him and turned into a novel, we have to wait a year before Hodge's next short story collection.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

How's I'll Bring You the Birds?

Haven't gotten to it yet to be honest, but I plan to soon. I'll report back once I do.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Also Blindsight by Peter Watts. I think it's still free on his website.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Going to recommend everyone go read I Am Providence by Nick Mamatas. His takedown of the Lovecraft fanboy scene is pretty damned good.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

As a reminder, Joshi returned his World Fantasy Award after they changed it from a bust of Lovecraft.

lol he had to self-publish 21st Century Horror because he's burned all of his bridges in publishing.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 14, 2018

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

As catty and backstabbing as the Lovecraftian sphere is, I never heard anyone say a single negative thing about Wilum. He was a pretty singular guy.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Bilirubin posted:

Sweet my buddy just lent me his copy of the new WXXY/Leeds slim volume If It Bleeds by Matthew Bartlett. He got it from a publisher's fundraising program, and its a signed limited edition copy. Should take a couple of hours to inhale this.

You can get the ebook here.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Skyscraper posted:

If they understand that people want the Thomas Ligotti Power Hour, why do they not deliver it? I at first thought it was accidental, but now it sounds like they know and just don't want to give people what they liked in the first season.

Because then Pizzolatto would have to admit that the stuff people actually liked about his show were the bits he just outright stole from other creatives and had little to do with his own contributions.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Owlkill posted:

Can anyone recommend any weird/cosmic horror podcasts? I don't mind if it's a discussion style podcast or something more in the vein of a radio play or audio book approach. I've listened to Night Vale and the various other podcasts from the same makers, curious to see what else is out there that's actually worth checking out though.

Mary SanGiovanni does Cosmic Shenanigans, a podcast where she discussed cosmic horror in entertainment. It's pretty good, she tends to do her homework.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Joe had a weird style that's very much an acquired taste. If it clicks for you, you're going to love his stories; if not, you'll be left wondering why folks love him.

Beyond that, Joe was a genuinely nice guy AND edited a ton of stuff, two things that may have resulted in other authors going a lot easier on him than they otherwise would have.