Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Going to put forward "Southern Gods" by John Honor Jacobs. Also, the short story "N" by Steven King from Just After Sunset is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

I know this isn't technically relevant, but I think it's a good venue for this question: Anybody have any recommendations (or whatever the opposite of a recommendation would be?) of good comic book/graphic novel adaptations of Lovecraft? Or any graphic novels with a distinctly Cosmic Horror flavor?

There was a 4-issue comic adaptation of Stephen King's 'N' which is very love crafty. Alan Moore's 'The Invisibles' has some of that too.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

LolitaSama posted:

Can anyone recommend similar Lovecraftian short stories like King's Crouch End?

"N" by King is amazing. "A Study in Emerald" by Gaiman is too.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

MrSlam posted:

Also it'd be really refreshing if one of his protagonists was just some schlub and wasn't a young-ish no-nonsense no-time for girls NERD scholar who gets a hard on for old books and ancient archaeology. Like, it'd be great if it was just some guy from the country that's only read three books in his life. I'm not knocking Lovecraft, but he only seems to write very specific kinds of characters in very specific ways and seems to hate things like character development and basic human interaction.

Check out "Southern Gods" by John Horner Jacobs. Out of his depth mob goon chasing down eldritch horror in post WW2 Deep South. Lots of fun.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

End Of Worlds posted:

adam nevill's been brought up a few times in this thread. just found out if you sign up for his newsletter you get a free ebook featuring a couple of short stories (as well as chapter excerpts)

Jesus! gently caress that dude. Very upsetting! I've been trying to read apartment whatever for months and I keep having to stop because I'm a pussy.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

julietthecat posted:

Recently finished Under a Watchful Eye, the latest novel by Adam Nevill, whom this thread turned me onto a while ago when people were talking about House of Small Shadows. It really reminded me of that book, as well as Last Days, in that the book revolves around an expansive and horrific (and pretty original) mythology that the reader only gets an incomplete picture of. In this case, it involves an astral projection cult, and the terrible, hidden reality that they can manipulate. (It also has a couple references to his other books)

I really enjoyed it, because I'm a sucker for things like astral projection cults in my cosmic horror, but it also had some pretty serious missteps, which I feel are pretty common for Nevill. If anyone has read it, there's a major plot point that I didn't understand:

The whole attraction of astral projection is that it lets one enter some beautiful other-world contiguous with our own, where one is released from the physical and can enjoy perfect clarity. But, during the novel, pretty much everyone is winds up wandering a nasty, bleak limbo. Is this due to Hazard's influence? Aside from being a self-aggrandizing weirdo cult leader, even after death, does Hazard have an endgame anyway?

Ooh, new Adam Neville? Buying that right now!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

It's not explained in the reading schedule but to avoid going too far back into the 19th century at which point things like Dracula and The Turn of the Screw become fair game, I've cut anything before 1900 off. The Machen story just barely counts and is cheating a little bit as it was written pre1900 but published post1900. Students will hear a little about the longer tradition of gothic literature and the Klein story helps to point to that but I'm really most interested in exploring the emergence of "horror" as a genre of commercial fiction in the 20th century.

I'd love to include Ellison and thought about putting "I have no mouth and I must scream" especially as he'd fit in easily with the authors who wrote for tv.

The Street is not great and is basically juvenalia but it's only an optional reading. One of the cool things about Lovecraft's racism is that be at least gets a good head of steam going on people who are today "white." Serves as a nice contrast to our contemporary white nationalists and hopefully will set up Oates's "Soldier" toward the end

You should have them read "And Cain Rose Up" just to be an rear end in a top hat and really freak them out

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

I can see the argument that some of Three-Body Problem has some horror to it, sure.

I didn't really like the book, the characters felt really wooden to me, so I'm not sure I'd ever finish out the series (trilogy? not even sure).

On a definitely-more-obviously-horror note, I'm about a quarter into The Deep and I am really digging it. I mean, I'm kind of terrified of the ocean so it's a rough read at times, but in the best of ways.

Once that's done, I've kind of finished off my digital TBR stack of horror novels, so I'm looking for some recommendations of recent (last five-ish years) horror. Any standouts? Right now I'm eyeing Ararat, The Croning, and The Fisherman.

The Deep creeped me out in the first few pages before anything actually weird happened. It is a pretty good read.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Speaking of The Deep - could someone spoil me on its story? I am very much a pet person so it's not something I am ever going to read but I'm also a huge sucker for everything marine horror.

I picked up The Deep for a reread because of this thread to see if it was as disturbing as I remember it being. Jesus Christ it’s nightmare fuel on basically every page. Maybe it helps/hurts that I’ve served on subs, but the whole loving book gives me the jim-jams in the worst way. Hell, you could cut out the “supernatural” crap and just have it be “everybody loses their loving poo poo 8 miles below the ocean surface” and it would be just as scary if not more.

Honestly, read the book. It’s horror, so of course it’s going to upset you and there’s animal cruelty and child abuse and whatnot, but if you read horror for the shivers, it’ll get ya.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

So John Hornor Jacobs is working on a new story in the Southern Gods universe, so I figured I’d plug Southern Gods while I’m thinking about it. Redneck Mafia enforcer tooling around post WW2 Deep-South trying to track down a Nylarthotep-possessed bluesman whose music makes people go batshit. It is great.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

Southern Gods is great. Jacobs doesn't quite stick the landing at the end, but the journey is incredible.

The end is the weak part, too, I think, but not enough to stop me enthusiastically recommending it. He’s gotten better as a writer in his stuff since then, so I have high hopes for this new thing. (Which is a novella and not a sequel, according to his twitter)

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

I feel the same. I get why people were saying earlier that it's contrived or not a great book, and it's not, if you're looking for something very literary or unique. But to me it feels like really good slasher movies---you don't really expect the story to be intricately crafted, so much as deliver some scares and really unsettling scenes.

Yeah. Even early on, you realize that even if someone makes it out alive, ain’t nobody gonna make it out “ok.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

Can anybody recommend some weird fiction or horror with a heavy American West feeling to it? Not necessarily like golden-age western, just something inspired or influenced by them. Doesn't need to be set in the 1800s either. I get the sense that Brian Evenson has at least a good handful of stories that have some western elements but I haven't read much of his, so if he's a good fit I'd definitely take a recommendation on where to start.

Broadly speaking, I'd also take recommendations for any sort of western novel that's even just particularly dark or sinister/eerie, even if it's not outright horror. Basically I want something to tide me over til Read Dead Redemption 2 comes out.

Silver on the Road (the Devil’s West) by Laura Anne Gilman