Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

SaltyJesus posted:

To contribute to the thread here is a great scrolling gallery of minimal movie posters. (From the aptly named Minimal Movie Posters tumblr.)

This trend of minimalist movie poster design has worn out its stay. A lot of those come off as either pretentiously witty or Olly Moss rip offs.

[edit] To contribute, I'm heavily partial towards Drew Struzan's select posters he did for Blade Runner, Hellboy, Star Wars, Back to the Future, and Indiana Jones. They're not so much movie posters as they are timeliness pieces of art.

While it's been argued among me and my designer friends that this (and other Struzan posters) does fall victim to floating heads syndrome... the general composition, Struzan's signature style, and sweet use of color makes this look more iconic when compared to poster comps hastily created with rendered out photos in Photoshop.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

BullChicken posted:

So what do people think of the new JDatE poster? I kind of like it but thought they could have used something more interesting.

I like it but I'm not sure if I like it just because it doesn't look like every other poster.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I find most 'posters' in this style pretty stupid and obnoxious, but this one really takes the cake.

Seriously, it's somehow even worse than that Matrix poster with the battery.

I wouldn't mind so much, but the image it inaccurately evokes isn't even from that version of Frankenstein.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

NINbuntu 64 posted:

I like it but I'm not sure if I like it just because it doesn't look like every other poster.

It is better than the last poster, which was a blurry skull mask dude.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The Triumphant posted:

There's a scene where Nic Cage breaks into a nursing home, shaves while interrogating someone, and then points a gun at an old lady's head and threatens to shoot her for spending her grandkids' inheritance money on oxygen
One of the articles in the OP mentions that this scene was going to be the original poster. Alas, the MPAA.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

BullChicken posted:

So what do people think of the new JDatE poster? I kind of like it but thought they could have used something more interesting.

I'm starting to think I need to read this book.

BullChicken
Jun 1, 2000

Gary, me need sex now inside please

Wandering Knitter posted:

It is better than the last poster, which was a blurry skull mask dude.

I really didn't like that one either

Liar posted:

I'm starting to think I need to read this book.

Very yes on this, its a great book.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

I find most 'posters' in this style pretty stupid and obnoxious, but this one really takes the cake.

I'm sorry you didn't like it. I agree with you that that particular style is over-simplistic, unimaginative, and frankly lazy. The format you singled out is the advice animals like "meme" of minimalist posters where one iconic thing is singled out and often crudely or hastily made to fit the cookie cutter scheme.

Having said that, I really don't feel that makes my link bad. It is a gallery showcasing aggregated minimalist posters from all over the internet, some are bound to be worse than others. I think there are quite a few competently executed ones to be found in there.

Also veonenergee dude, I didn't mean to offend your designer sensibilities. I'm gonna roll with you knowing more about this stuff than me, but I never implied the minimalist posters were some great works of art, I just think they are interesting to look at now and then.

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 22, 2012

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

veonenergee posted:

While it's been argued among me and my designer friends that this (and other Struzan posters) does fall victim to floating heads syndrome... the general composition, Struzan's signature style, and sweet use of color makes this look more iconic when compared to poster comps hastily created with rendered out photos in Photoshop.

Struzan posters never fell victim to Floating Head Syndrome. The problem is poster makers now try to do with Photoshop what Struzan did with a paintbrush, and then it inevitably looks like a dog's breakfast because composited pictures of real heads don't meld together like a single continuous drawing. Unfortunately, we're at the point where people automatically think "Oh, another case of FHS" whenever they see any poster done in the style.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Coffee And Pie posted:

Speaking of bad DVD covers, I'm really not loving the cover for Drive that's due out soon:

Not a sign of the retro hot-pink font, Ryan Gosling's whole body appears to be animated, and for some reason they put the scorpion on the front of his jacket too. But that shouldn't stop everybody from buying and watching it, because it was excellent, and has a fantastic cast too.

edit: I'm just noticing it now because it's thumbnailed, but is it just me or is his head juust ever-so-slightly too big for his body?

Speaking of Drive, there's a couple of great Drive posters that I love (& bought):

One on the left is a take-off of the Thief poster.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

westborn posted:

I'm really glad this one got included in here, because it's one of my favorite posters of last year. It conveys one of the main themes of the film (that Ryan Gosling and George Clooney's character are extremely similar), and one of the cultural undertones (that Gosling and Clooney themselves are remarkably similar) and it makes a point about the basic plotline of the movie, by making Gosling literally the man behind Clooney's presidential campaign. Not only that, but it makes you think that Clooney and Gosling look alike, when they honestly don't. This entire poster tells you that this movie would not have worked at all if these particular two men were not cast.

Hell, it also reflects the naivete of Gosling's character by making him literally wide-eyed in contrast to Clooney.

When people ask me if this movie is good, I tell them it's not as good as the poster deserves it to be.

EDIT: Goddammit.

Vargo fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 22, 2012

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Liar posted:

Harry Potter's taken a creepy turn with the latest film apparently.

This one is awesome!!
The ones in our theaters are the generic bad Photoshopped Harry Potter in creepy black and blue.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 22, 2012

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I think most of the Minimalist Movie Posters on that tumblr are pretty great, but this one is incredibly dumb:

Are you loving kidding me?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jonny Angel posted:

I think most of the Minimalist Movie Posters on that tumblr are pretty great, but this one is incredibly dumb:

When I looked at that logo, I thought this was a Half Life poster or something. :saddowns:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
That's such a piece of crap, but there are enough real lovely posters without going through every fan made turd.

Like this:

The Rock is a terrible guardian. He's piss-bolting away from that lizard, leaving the kids behind with their legs trapped by the giant iguana eggs.

This one isn't particular original or anything, but I really like the colours:

I've not seen this film, but I heard it's not actually about a skeletal tyrannosaurus and I lost interest. Amazing poster though.

Yes, and this poster deserves to be seen.

(Couldn't find one without the watermark)

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 22, 2012

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I do like the design of that Statham one, but cutting off the top of his head is kind of a composition no-no, I think. Your brain tries to extend/finish the image of the head in weird ways when that happens. Or at least, that's what my brain is doing right now.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Supercar Gautier posted:

I do like the design of that Statham one, but cutting off the top of his head is kind of a composition no-no, I think. Your brain tries to extend/finish the image of the head in weird ways when that happens. Or at least, that's what my brain is doing right now.

I know what you mean, it just keeps on going.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Lizard Combatant posted:

The Rock is a terrible guardian. He's piss-bolting away from that lizard, leaving the kids behind with their legs trapped by the giant iguana eggs.

I think this poster looks like the kid is about to karate chop The Rock in the back of the neck and The Rock looks like he's about to smack him in the face.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm pretty fond of this ridiculous logo for the Expendables since it's so over the top and machismo-soaked, especially with the roster of action dudes above it. I got genuinely excited for a wonderfully campy callback to the heyday of 80's action movies.

Too bad it turned out to be a pretty big turd with awful CGI blood and barely a shred of the camp that makes movies like Commando so fun.

The sequel's teaser poster is just a lazy rehash.

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

Lizard Combatant posted:

That's such a piece of crap, but there are enough real lovely posters without going through every fan made turd.

Like this:

This one isn't particular original or anything, but I really like the colours:

Has anyone else noticed that (seemingly) all the Statham posters from these threads cut off at the top of his head? Like if we don't see that he's bald, we'll imagine a lush thicket of curls above the frame? It makes no difference how much hair he has, it's Jason loving Statham and he can still kick your rear end rocking the Costanza.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

The problem with posters like these is that they take one small part of a film and capitalize on it as if its some sort of defining and hyper important trait that the poster just has to reference.

Some of them are quite nice and imply a proper theme of the movie but most are just really silly references.

The Pickles
Apr 9, 2011

You should try this wonderful lunch. It's more than a delicious tasty crunch.

Arkane posted:

Speaking of Drive, there's a couple of great Drive posters that I love (& bought):

One on the left is a take-off of the Thief poster.

Where did you get these? They're fantastic. Much better that the ones that amazon had, last I checked.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

The Pickles posted:

Where did you get these? They're fantastic. Much better that the ones that amazon had, last I checked.

I so wish they would have used one of those for the Blu-ray cover, instead of this poo poo:

Ps. That OP is stellar.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

westborn posted:

If all fails and those trends and techniques can't inspire a new poster there's always the old switcheroo:

What really gets me about the Safehouse poster is that it's for a movie that obviously has some money behind it. Pressed is obviously a direct-to-DVD piece of poo poo with a somewhat talented guy who's found his niche in lovely, cheap movies, but Safehouse has recognisable, acclaimed actors with who have been in other major films. It just boggles the mind that a movie that has a bit of money behind it does something that just makes it look so cheap and lovely.

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I so wish they would have used one of those for the Blu-ray cover, instead of this poo poo:

Ps. That OP is stellar.

This is the cover in Australia and NZ. It's better than the US cover, but it's not exactly stellar either. I wonder if this movie going to get a good cover anywhere.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

This is the cover in Australia and NZ. It's better than the US cover, but it's not exactly stellar either. I wonder if this movie going to get a good cover anywhere.

The UK cover is the best and the one I'll be ordering since Amazon UK always have the cheapest blu-rays and I'll probably be picking up a few other titles.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

As great as the op was I think it overlooked another obnoxious trend, the red letters against white background comedy movie poster:

There's also the posters that removes people that aren't white:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I don't think it did overlook that considering it mentioned it almost right at the start of that section.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here's some decent posters for something I saw come up in my RSS netflix feed.

Good poster, but his rape face is creepy.

In this one, I really like the woods, soldiers, and dogs, but our hero is a blurry mess.

Finally, only Team America: World Police could get between true love.

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

The Pickles posted:

Did a bit of digging, the second one is from http://blog.signalnoise.com/2012/01/10/drive-poster-details-availability/ but the run all sold out in a day. $50 too, which ain't cheap.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Maybe not the most obvious example of a terrible poster, but I come across this one almost daily and it's absolutely godawful.

This tells me absolutely NOTHING about the movie. And this is a goddamn Cronenberg movie; there's probably a whole lot to tell.

I mean, why would anyone go to this? Oh, it has these actors? Well, sold!

As bland and boring as they come.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

How could anyone make a poster for this movie, and resist photoshopping a cigar-holding hand near Mortensen's mouth?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

The MSJ posted:

How could anyone make a poster for this movie, and resist photoshopping a cigar-holding hand near Mortensen's mouth?

They actually photoshopped that out of the original:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Lizard Combatant posted:

Maybe because it implies midget proportions and/or a hand sticking out of his chest.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

We have all seen how non-white actors are removed from foreign posters. Now, how about the contrary!
Adding a Mexican actor for Mexican audiences in a lovely poster, for a lovely movie:

Now, this is ~ART~!

Edit: Katie Holmes photoshopped face is gold.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 22, 2012

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lizard Combatant posted:

Well will you look at that.

Not really good, of course. I don't know how that anatomy is supposed to work. Is it photoshopped out because of anti-smoking censorship or something?

Desperado Bones posted:

We have all seen how non-white actors are removed from foreign posters. Now, how about the contrary!
Adding a Mexican actor for Mexican audiences in a lovely poster, for a lovely movie:

Now, this is ~ART~!

Edit: Katie Holmes photoshopped face is gold.

No, 3rd Street Saints! What happened to you guys?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

The MSJ posted:

Well will you look at that.

Not really good, of course. I don't know how that anatomy is supposed to work. Is it photoshopped out because of anti-smoking censorship or something?

Aha no, sorry folks I made that.
Guess it was too subtle, though the anatomy does make zero sense.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Aside from the ridiculous sky blue color scheme, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein - the De Niro one - didn't have bolts in his neck, so either the guy who made this poster doesn't know what the main character looks like, or doesn't know the name of the movie.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
From earlier:

Struzan blends his heads with the backgrounds and light, which is a totally different thing than changing the opacitiy on the head layer in photoshop. I'm not actually a huge fan of his Blade Runner cover - I prefer the original - but the way he utilises the floating head is the opposite of lazy.

His BTTF1 poster is one of my favorites. Wish I had a quad version of that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The V for Vendetta posters were pretty good in how they emulated the style of propaganda posters:

And then we got the dvd cover where a giant Natalie Portman looks disappointed in you:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Jonny Angel posted:

No Country... had some great posters:

cloudchamber fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 21, 2013