Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Maybe not the most obvious example of a terrible poster, but I come across this one almost daily and it's absolutely godawful.

This tells me absolutely NOTHING about the movie. And this is a goddamn Cronenberg movie; there's probably a whole lot to tell.

I mean, why would anyone go to this? Oh, it has these actors? Well, sold!

As bland and boring as they come.

This is pretty awful. It looks very much like the mainstream DVD cover version, since I doubt audiences would have got the gestalt reference of the initial poster...

See how the Freud and Jung are merging together, almost to become some sort of third being with Keira Knightly. The desaturation also gives a supernatural quality to the poster, but it works within the context of the film.

Also, I'm pretty sure this is a reference to an earlier Cronenberg film...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

cloudchamber posted:

No Country... had so great posters:

Those teaser posters are great, but I really wish this one had been used in the US.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Robert Denby posted:

Those teaser posters are great, but I really wish this one had been used in the US.

Wow, I really want this one. Good find.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Young Freud posted:

This is pretty awful. It looks very much like the mainstream DVD cover version, since I doubt audiences would have got the gestalt reference of the initial poster...

See how the Freud and Jung are merging together, almost to become some sort of third being with Keira Knightly. The desaturation also gives a supernatural quality to the poster, but it works within the context of the film.

See, even though I'm not a fan of this one either, at least it's trying to say something. It's implying something. Bringing something to the table.

That other one is just WATCH THESE ACTORS IN A MOVIE! POSSIBLY A PERIOD PIECE?!

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The Pickles posted:

Where did you get these? They're fantastic. Much better that the ones that amazon had, last I checked.

Signal Noise did the first one (link was posted a few posts ago)

Here's the Thief one: http://society6.com/davidallcock/DRIVE-LIKE-A-THIEF_Print#1=3

While I'm posting stuff I own, this one for Inglourious Basterds is my favorite: http://ibraheemyoussef.com/ibraheemshop/images/inglourious.jpg

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

See, even though I'm not a fan of this one either, at least it's trying to say something. It's implying something. Bringing something to the table.

Yeah, it could be a lot better, but it seems far more cerebral than the other one. Also, I'm not even sure if you could imply "period piece" from the first poster posted, because of Knightly's up do and lack of identifiable clothing. She looks more like classy call girl and Mortensen and Fassbinder are her johns.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Robert Denby posted:

Why is "floating heads in no particular composition" okay if it's within the confines of a cow skull?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Because Georgia O'Keefe is cool.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Alhazred posted:

The V for Vendetta posters were pretty good in how they emulated the style of propaganda posters:

And then we got the dvd cover where a giant Natalie Portman looks disappointed in you:

The two disc edition used the first post your posted, which was very nice compared to the regular DVD.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It also seems to be saying MAYBE KEIRA KNIGHTLEY IS NAKED AT SOME POINT?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Arkane posted:

I realize it's the glasses but I immediately thought of

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

This dvd cover is actually pretty great:

The blu ray cover on the other hand:

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
Hah, nice continuation of the other Poster Thread, it was getting pretty general, so it was a good idea to have a new OP.

BullChicken posted:

So what do people think of the new JDatE poster? I kind of like it but thought they could have used something more interesting.

I think this is one of those Movies in which the poster could just outright be the title of the movie with nothing behind the text, but that's a pretty good one too.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Mister Chief posted:

The UK cover is the best and the one I'll be ordering since Amazon UK always have the cheapest blu-rays and I'll probably be picking up a few other titles.

The fact that the distributors used the "Look at how so goddamn 80's I am!" neon pink text really does help.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Arkane posted:

While I'm posting stuff I own, this one for Inglourious Basterds is my favorite: http://ibraheemyoussef.com/ibraheemshop/images/inglourious.jpg

This is exactly why people hate faux-minimalist posters. The entire poster is just a sly in-joke for people who have seen the movie, it doesn't tell you anything about the film itself or represent the tones and themes and in it.

I think one of the few times I've seen abstract in-jokey posters work is when it's a poster for an old, classic film rather than a recent release. When TCM did modern posters for classic films a few years ago their take on Guess Who's Coming to Dinner was pretty great:

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
OK, I understand your point. But why would I need the poster to tell me anything from the movie? I've seen the movie. It's on a wall in my house, and it *looks* drat cool :colbert:

As far as what it represents...it represents one of the best moments in one of the best scenes in the movie.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 22, 2012

Victor F. M.D.
Jul 24, 2006
Dude, I told you it would work.

Young Freud posted:

Freud and Jung

I think this version of the Dangerous Method poster is pretty clever:

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Victor F. M.D. posted:

I think this version of the Dangerous Method poster is pretty clever:

Oh my!

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I so wish they would have used one of those for the Blu-ray cover, instead of this poo poo:

Ps. That OP is stellar.

There's pretty much no way to interpret this other than Ryan Gosling planning to whack himself in the face with a hammer.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

slinkimalinki posted:

There's pretty much no way to interpret this other than Ryan Gosling planning to whack himself in the face with a hammer.

Or that he's going after someone with the claw end. Given the movie in question, that's not implausible.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

slinkimalinki posted:

As good a movie as Drive is, I don't doubt including a scene of just that would have made it even better.

InVitro
Dec 23, 2008

I, Gary, the Scourge of Carpathia, the Sorrow of Moldavia, command you! Find me a child that I might live again!
Speaking of floating heads:

One is Hannah Montana, The other a 300 foot head-shaped rocketship destined for Mars.

The greatest love story, never told. :colbert:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I don't like this remake of Zardoz.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Professor Clumsy posted:

Oh my!

I gotta ask what is this really. I know what it's supposed to look like, it looks like it could be close-up of a drawn face or a printed page that, out of context, is being made to look like the abdomen of a naked woman.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Young Freud posted:

I gotta ask what is this really. I know what it's supposed to look like, it looks like it could be close-up of a drawn face or a printed page that, out of context, is being made to look like the abdomen of a naked woman.

A Rorschach inkblot?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Speaking of posters, I was very surprised when I walked past a local movie theater and saw Rooney Mara's tits on the poster for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Didn't expect that at all.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
So are we in approval of the new Batman film's posters or not?

And here's a fan-made posters of what the film would be if Riddler was the villain, just because I loving love the Riddler:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Mister Chief posted:

The UK cover is the best and the one I'll be ordering since Amazon UK always have the cheapest blu-rays and I'll probably be picking up a few other titles.

The Canadian one is the best. Doesn't have all the poo poo on it.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Is it me, or does he look like a midget?

And I love the second poster of Batman, although the ones for The Dark Knight were much better.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

cloudchamber posted:

Why is he wearing socks in a field?!

Carwin
Feb 7, 2008

A hazard to himself and others.

Liar posted:

I think this one's very cool. It's striking and unique, doesn't have a title (and doesn't need one), and gets across the idea that "everything's falling apart."

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.

cloudchamber posted:

This was always my favourite, there's similar ones for the other characters. Bummer is I looked around online a bit but could never find it for sale.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Max22 posted:

Why is he wearing socks in a field?!

He's an inscrutable madman. Killing shmos left and right, walking through a field in socks, its all the same to him.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I loves me some Olly Moss. Just wanted to share one of his recent movie posters he did for My Neighbor Totoro. Managed to snag one of the regular versions, they're taking their sweet time getting it shipped (ordered before Christmas...), but I can't wait to get it framed:

Regular

Variant

Be sure to click for big to see the Catbus in the background :3:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Canadian Surf Club posted:

This was always my favourite, there's similar ones for the other characters. Bummer is I looked around online a bit but could never find it for sale.

No kidding, these are awesome

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Liar posted:

I like them both and I think they're great.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Liar posted:

I like it, but there's some weird perspective issue going on in this one. The mask doesn't seem like it should be that big.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Arkane posted:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nice tagline. I do really like both of these posters, though.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Of all the posters in the world to rip off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That looks like "Gay of the Woman" at first glance