Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
The nippled Dragon Tattoo poster is hanging up here in Charleston, South Carolina, but I don't think anyone's noticed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anyoldactress
Apr 7, 2009

Have you seen my pants? They're also very important
The DVD cover for Womb has been revealed. A film where Eva Green has to deal with the complexities of giving birth to a clone of her dead boyfriend Matt Smith.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

scary ghost dog posted:

The nippled Dragon Tattoo poster is hanging up here in Charleston, South Carolina, but I don't think anyone's noticed it.

I'm kind of shocked that they even distributed that posted in the US. I'd have figured that poster hung up in a theater would have lasted all of a day before somebody started complaining.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

anyoldactress posted:

Ahaha I love how dependent it is on Smith's role as the doctor.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

A blaxploitation 'Red Tails' directed by Quentin Tarantino would be great.

As soon as you typed this Spike Lee got incredibly angry and couldn't figure out why.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

anyoldactress posted:

What's up with the weird Call of Duty font?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

anyoldactress posted:

The DVD cover for Womb has been revealed. A film where Eva Green has to deal with the complexities of giving birth to a clone of her dead boyfriend Matt Smith.

I thought it was Adrian Brody for a moment there. Probably because it reminds me of scenes from Brodyquest.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

anyoldactress posted:

Sequel to the hit movie "Ovum"! So if this were a trilogy, would the final movie be "Birth Canal"?

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 25, 2012

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Those Ernesto "Chango" García Cabral reminded me of the posters for Danish films (especially the ones for comedies) made by Aage Lundvald:

The Olsen Gang Never Surrenders

Girls at Arms

"Trouble in Christianshavn"

What a Pity about Daddy

Gold for the Tough Guys of the Praerie

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Carthag posted:

Girls at Arms
Ernest Borgnine seems pretty happy there.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Those are incredible, I particularly loved:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Xenophon posted:

Those are incredible, I particularly loved:

Things seem to be going pretty loving good in Christianshavn for this guy.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Carthag posted:

Those Ernesto "Chango" García Cabral reminded me of the posters for Danish films (especially the ones for comedies) made by Aage Lundvald:

The Olsen Gang Never Surrenders

These are beautiful! Post more if you can :)

Here have another one from García Cabral, this was done around 1952:

And this is...this I don't know who did it. But it's from the 80's. Quite the change!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's actually another poster for Red Tails. Not exactly terrible, but floating heads :suicide:

And this is how I discovered that there was another poster:

Yeah.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Poor Cuba Gooding Jr. His career is just so lovely.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

There's actually another poster for Red Tails. Not exactly terrible, but floating heads :suicide:

Yeah.

I'm having a really hard time reading his expression.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Poor Cuba Gooding Jr. His career is just so lovely.

I'm pretty sure this is the first movie he's done in a couple of years that will actually be shown in a theater.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah.

I think I'd like this one better if the back plane wasn't flying outside of the frame as well. It looks neat with the first plane, but with the second it looks like they're dogfighting infront of the world's largest picture frame.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Liar posted:

Has this cartoonish mockery of a poster made it in the thread yet?

More offensive is the idea that they are beating down ME-262s in turning dogfights instead of just blowing them up on the ground or while they were landing.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Wasn't the ME262A the first jet if I remember correctly? Are we to believe he is chasing down a jet with a prop plane? I don't really know planes but that seems silly.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
Thanks for all the kind words about the OP!

Demp posted:

Still waiting for a Crimson Skies movie...

While the following posters aren't necessarily great or even good, those caricature illustrations made me think of a few other awesome artists, so while we're at it have some...

Jack Davis:

Mort Drucker:

If you can't quite put a finger on why their style looks familiar, they're better known for their MAD Magazine work.

And lastly, somebody who's best know for way different stuff like this:

Frank Frazetta:

(He did some MAD stuff, too, by the way)

Yes, colored borders of some sort were very common back then.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

AlternateAccount posted:

More offensive is the idea that they are beating down ME-262s in turning dogfights instead of just blowing them up on the ground or while they were landing.

kiimo posted:

Wasn't the ME262A the first jet if I remember correctly? Are we to believe he is chasing down a jet with a prop plane? I don't really know planes but that seems silly.

While they do destroy a few ME-262s, it's not at all how the poster depicts it. Spoilers They're briefed ahead of time that the jets might show up, but even then are unprepared for the massive difference in speed. After a few attempts at chasing them down, they give up the by the books tactics are go for much more dangerous/difficult approaches. It helps that the lead German pilot is a guy they had shamed earlier in the film, who is more interested in getting revenge on these "Africans" than carrying out his mission or safety.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

kiimo posted:

Yes, but they weren't superweapons that most people think they were and the Tuskegee airmen did down a couple in aerial combat. They'd wait until they overshot and lead them.

However, most of the 262s were destroyed on the ground.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

westborn posted:

Sweet stuff

Are posters like this still being made? Or are we stuck now with red big letters and white backgrounds for comedies, with bodies assembled together and brushed to Hell in photoshop?

And I don't like the posters for Red Tails. When you talk to me about serious WWII movies, I think of vintage and Saving Private Ryan. Not awesome CGI loving EXTREME airplanes and dubstep.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Payndz posted:

Ernest Borgnine seems pretty happy there.

That's actually Dirch Passer, he's the guy in this gif from Reptilicus, a monster movie in the vein of Godzilla, where he (as was probably mandated by law at the time) has a role as a slapstick janitor who gets shocked by electric eels, etc:

(sorry for the dumb emoticon, only version I could find right now)

Also I just found out Aage did posters for foreign films as well:

I think this is this one The Fiction Makers (it's a The Saint movie anyway)

Lightning Conductor

Carry on... Up the Khyber

Jour de fête, and I guess you could say a subversion of the "view between the legs" poster before that was even a thing (the French poster has the same pose too).

Also those Drucker & Davis posters are great.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

Are posters like this still being made? Or are we stuck now with red big letters and white backgrounds for comedies, with bodies assembled together and brushed to Hell in photoshop?
The most recent one I can think of right now with a somewhat similar style is this:

But just like with Grindhouse or Saul Bass-style posters, I'll bet there are at least some out there, if only to parody the style.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Carthag posted:

Also those Drucker & Davis posters are great.
When I was developing my drawing style back in my teens, they were two artists I shamelessly ripped off was inspired by. Kind of funny that Drucker would draw the poster for a George Lucas movie, then a few years later do the MAD parodies of some other George Lucas movies. Hey, maybe he'll draw 'Red Fails'!

BTW, in that comic book-style Red Tails poster, the pilot looks like he's shooting bullets out of his eyes and smashing his own windscreen.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

westborn posted:

The most recent one I can think of right now with a somewhat similar style is this:

But just like with Grindhouse or Saul Bass-style posters, I'll bet there are at least some out there, if only to parody the style.

Not a poster, but this parodies the style pretty explicitly:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Desperado Bones posted:

And I don't like the posters for Red Tails. When you talk to me about serious WWII movies, I think of vintage and Saving Private Ryan. Not awesome CGI loving EXTREME airplanes and dubstep.

To draw this out even further- I don't think the movie is trying to be a gritty portrait of the realities of war like SPR, but rather a fun action-adventure.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Payndz posted:

Kind of funny that Drucker would draw the poster for a George Lucas movie, then a few years later do the MAD parodies of some other George Lucas movies. Hey, maybe he'll draw 'Red Fails'!

My God, Drucker's still alive and drawing? I thought he was long gone.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Black Lighter posted:

A small derail, but I love this cover, specially because Hughie is basically Simon Pegg.

-

Melancholia posters, I'm not sure but I like the second one(Ignoring the photoshopped face):

But then, I'm starting to hate the "text-over face" trend:
(I hope this was a fan made poster, and not a real thing)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Desperado Bones posted:

YOU DON'T gently caress A STRANGER AT YOUR OWN WEDDING WITHOUT MAKING A FEW ENEMIES

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jedit posted:

My God, Drucker's still alive and drawing? I thought he was long gone.
Still alive, and while I don't know if he's doing regular work for MAD, he's still drawing as far as I can tell.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

penismightier, what the gently caress?! HAHAHA...for real? Is it a joke?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Desperado Bones posted:

penismightier, what the gently caress?! HAHAHA...for real? Is it a joke?

No, it says something along the lines of "this will be a beautiful end-of-the-world" or "this will be a beautiful world's end."

edit: the latter implies "the end" of a "beautiful world."

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Black Lighter posted:

I loving love The Boys even more now.

EDIT: I just fake-shot a horse in your office :cool:

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 26, 2012

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics
Not sure how this one got overlooked in the "crazy group caricature" category, especially since that "The Boys" cover parodies it:

e:FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU

mousku
Jun 2, 2011
So I work in a DVD rental shop and Cass has absolutely one of the worst covers there. The people renting this must have googled the movie beforehand because I refuse to believe anyone would rent this based on the cover only.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Cacator posted:

It could be from Hong Kong or Taiwan. Also the languages are different.
100% from Hong Kong. It says a bit at the bottom about it having a simultaneous Japan-Hong Kong release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

mousku posted:

Is that Owen Wilson on the left?

Mister Chief fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 26, 2012