Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

oystertoadfish posted:

nomo was the first of the modern Japanese players in baseball but I'm gonna be pedantic and mention Masanori Murakami, the very first one, who did okay as a reliever but went back due to contractual obligations and wasn't followed until nomo thirty years later:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masanori_Murakami

I have very little to add on the sumo, but I'll be watching

edit: there's more relevant info on Japanese sporting culture in this good article about the best Japanese mlb player of all time, ichiro Suzuki:

I don't know if that no word for fun games thing is for real but it's a nice article
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/22624561/ichiro-suzuki-return-seattle-mariners-resolve-internal-battle

There was a really sad article about ichiro and how driven he is for baseball because of his dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Rigel posted:

The only thing I am lacking is a sufficiently goony January sumo basho title for the thread, so please feel free to make some submissions now. I'll probably post it in a few days.

Kenning posted:

Watch out! You're going to get a <profound injury> in your <core skeletal/muscular structure>!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Mekchu posted:

It's a Japanese Sports Culture thing. There was a 30-for-30 podcast episode on the first Japanese player to cross over from the Nippon league to MLB and part of his issues with wanting to leave the Nippon league was that his coaches/general manager demanded that because he was such a good pitcher he had to keep pitching despite being injured because ~reasons (aka they were a crap team and in Japan as well as Korea they lean super heavy on the best players thus breaking them entirely rather than accepting they need time to heal/recuperate).

Edit - It's called The Loophole and is about Hideo Nomo.

https://30for30podcasts.com/episodes/the-loophole/

Edit 2 - Here's the relevant transcript

ANDREW MUSCATO: But in 1994 Nomo’s team, the Kintetsu Buffaloes, hired a new manager, Keishi Suzuki. Suzuki was a Hall of Fame pitcher — but also a real hard-rear end.

ROBERT WHITING: And his philosophy was — A pitcher should pitch until his arm falls off and that the best way to cure a sore arm is to go out and throw more — So he figured if he could do it then everybody else could.

ANDREW MUSCATO: Suzuki represented an old-school Japanese coaching style that Nomo had always resisted.

[NHK INTERVIEW, 1997

HIDEO NOMO: Coaches were very strict. They put more emphasis on attitude and choice of words than what you do in practice.]

ANDREW MUSCATO: Kozo Abe, is a longtime Tokyo Sports editor.

KOZO ABE: It’s Japanese traditional way of karate and the judo teacher says, “Do this way” and if you don’t do that teacher will get mad. That’s Japanese culture.

ANDREW MUSCATO: Nomo’s obedience to Suzuki landed him on the disabled list for most of the season.

ROBERT WHITING: Nomo said his right arm hurt so much he had to drive his car with his left hand. So that animosity towards Suzuki was the start of it all.

We have something like this in our current work place. We call it 'performance based punishment'. The bosses are given the task to do something, and nobody is leaving till it's done, so are you going to task Mr. Sad Act, the slowest and most incompetent member of your team to do it and stay there till 10 at night, or are you going to get you competent dudes to knock it out in an hour? The choice is obvious, and within two years we lose our best people.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

If i hosed the new thread up pretty badly, please let me know here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909337

I borrowed quite a bit from the old OP, just updating with new info.