Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

seorin posted:

I read somewhere that it's not unheard of for a yokozuna to withdraw from a tournament, especially in case of injury. I'm not sure this is an injury, though. The youtube folks think so, but they interviewed an expert on the news over here (yes, this is that unusual) and his opinion was that Hakuho just wants the win too much, and his impatience is costing him.

It looks like all match-ups after a withdrawal are an automatic loss, which is why Apraxin was mentioning earlier that Myogiryu dropped several ranks after his injury. It sounds like he lost rank even for tournaments he never took part in. Since anybody besides a yokozuna can be demoted, that would be the main worry for most rikishi. In Hakuho's case, though, it would just be pride, and unfortunately, he is a very proud person.

The NHK English broadcasters were saying something about a sprained finger, for what it's worth. No idea how accurate that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Lock posted:

The NHK English broadcasters were saying something about a sprained finger, for what it's worth. No idea how accurate that is.

There was rumor of a sprained left finger, but then he made a massive throw with his left hand, so so much for that.

More likely he is pressing too hard because he wants to win. What record is the next major one for him to break? He's years away from Kaio's total wins just due to the time needed to set such a record. Maybe he's trying too hard for something just out of reach. He is obviously already rich, so individual matches mean nothing to him...

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Oh no! Chiyotairyu pulled out. Anyone see if he was injured?

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Stream: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEcItzhNAz0

Today was pretty boring for the most part so my comments are not that interesting either:

Chiyotairyu withdrew; they said he was injured during a rematch, but that would refer to his match two days ago, and he seemed fine afterwards (not to mention yesterday). Seems kinda weird. Kimikaze had a good match; very well fought. Shohozan took quite a fall... that had to loving hurt. Miyabiyama is not in good shape - looks like his leg just sorta fell out from under him. Myogiryu's performance puzzles me; why so well against ozeki, and now 2 losses in a row? Makekoshi for Homasho. :( Hah, Aran is getting smacked down hard.

Watching Gagamaru crash land on a dude wearing a suit was pretty great. Kakuryu loses at the weirdest times, but he still might have a shot at yusho if he beats Hakuho. Harumafuji's loss today isn't exactly a surprise, but he's not doing that well this tournament. Kisenosato vs. Kotoshogiku was pretty much the match of the day and I have to give Kotoshogiku some credit for a good match despite his injury - if you watch closely, you can see him reach down to brace his knee at one point when it starts to buckle. If he were in top shape, he likely would have won.

I honestly can't believe Hakuho lost again. He looked pissed. The interview with the winner is always hilarious, though. "You beat him for the first time in a long time. How do you feel?" "*pant* *wheeze* *gasp* *pant* Happy."

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Maybe it's because I'm new but I didn't think today was boring! No real back and forth battles, but some spectacular falls. And we get to see the rising frustration and desperation of a Yokozuna on a losing streak.

I also want to say how much I love the thread title. At first I thought it was just a dumb typo, but now that I get the joke I think it's the funniest title on the forum. It gives me a good giggle.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Wendell posted:

Maybe it's because I'm new but I didn't think today was boring! No real back and forth battles, but some spectacular falls. And we get to see the rising frustration and desperation of a Yokozuna on a losing streak.

I also want to say how much I love the thread title. At first I thought it was just a dumb typo, but now that I get the joke I think it's the funniest title on the forum. It gives me a good giggle.

I enjoyed today as well! A few superb matches and plenty of building drama, with the first drop-outs due to injury rolling in, and some other wrestlers nursing injuries. Hakuho starting to crumble. The tournament still being anyone's.

I started the thread as "pigs colliding", due to the defining quote from the scandal times, but someone else came up with the perfect tweak. It'll be really hard to top that one enough to change it again imo.

seorin posted:

Kisenosato vs. Kotoshogiku was pretty much the match of the day and I have to give Kotoshogiku some credit for a good match despite his injury - if you watch closely, you can see him reach down to brace his knee at one point when it starts to buckle. If he were in top shape, he likely would have won.

I honestly can't believe Hakuho lost again. He looked pissed. The interview with the winner is always hilarious, though. "You beat him for the first time in a long time. How do you feel?" "*pant* *wheeze* *gasp* *pant* Happy."

Credit is due to Kisenosato as well, since a lot of rikishi would still have lost to Kotoshogiku with that effort. Kisenosato is incredibly balanced and hard to move and he just wore out Kotoshogiku for the win. If Kisenosato gets the yusho, it'll be well-deserved.

We're really seeing a new side to Hakuho, aren't we? Turns out he's kind of a sore loser, I think. His personality is Haku-ho-hum when he's going 14-1/15-0 and yusho-ing, but when he actually loses he looks like such a poor sport compared to, well, pretty much any other rikishi. Do us all a favor and keep us up to date on what the local papers are writing, because I'm very interested in what's going on with him!

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I definitely didn't mean to undersell Kisenosato. He deserved the win for sure. I'd actually be pretty happy if he got the yusho since it would probably increase the popularity of sumo in Japan.

I don't really read the papers, but Hakuho just got a pretty big spot on the sports show that plays late night here. Probably half or more of the entire sumo section was focused on him, with replays of his last three matches. They aren't really talking about his attitude or anything, though. They're just speculating on why he's doing so poorly. Both the "injured left index finger" and "in too much of a hurry" theories were brought up. The title of that section was amusing, though: まさかの4敗

If there's a good site where I could find more editorial style information instead of just random googling, I'd be inclined to read what's being said. I'm still pretty new to this whole sumo thing, though.

Edit: It came on the news again, and they pointed out that there's an article up now. (here, for those that read better than I can).

In an interview with Hakuho, he said about today's match, "I thought it was a great match. I'm lacking the proper feel, aren't I?" Then, about his status in general, "I've climbed so many mountains to get where I am. This hasn't broken my spirit. I'm going to keep going until the end. I have been a little impatient, but I'm going to straighten that out." His oyakata confirmed that he went to the hospital for pain in his left index finger after his loss to Aminishiki, and the diagnosis was a fracture that will take two weeks to heal. Because of that, he's been unable to grab hold of his opponents' belts. Hakuho himself wants to keep going, and he'll be allowed to for now, but his oyakata is watching and has yet to make a firm decision. Hakuho will be participating tomorrow at least.

seorin fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 14, 2012

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

seorin posted:

Also, should I keep doing the commentary like I have been, or is it too wordy? I hope I'm not just filling up the page with stuff nobody cares about.

I know this was a page back but please keep it up! It helps me get more from the matches!

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

Fryhtaning posted:

I enjoyed today as well! A few superb matches and plenty of building drama, with the first drop-outs due to injury rolling in, and some other wrestlers nursing injuries. Hakuho starting to crumble. The tournament still being anyone's.

While watching Hakuho's difficulties is enjoyable in a schadenfreude sort of way, my favorite part of the last few days is watching Aran get his rear end kicked over and over.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Does Aran risk demotion? I mean he shitted it up in the last basho as well if I remember correctly. Again, I love seeing the zabuton fly so I don't mind seeing Hakuho lose.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Aran did alright last tournament. He went 9-6, which means he actually got promoted, and that's why he's had to face off against all the ozeki this tournament.

The 8th win guarantees promotion, while the 8th loss guarantees demotion. These are called kachikoshi and makekoshi respectively. The more wins the more rank gained, and the more losses the more rank lost. In other words, Aran is already going to go down a rank or two, and if he keeps losing, he'll go down even more.

Only a yokozuna can't be demoted. Even ozeki aren't immune. The announcers were speculating yesterday that Harumafuji is starting to get in danger of demotion.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Funkysauce posted:

Does Aran risk demotion? I mean he shitted it up in the last basho as well if I remember correctly. Again, I love seeing the zabuton fly so I don't mind seeing Hakuho lose.
He's already 0-9 so demotion is guaranteed. If he went 0-15 would he be in danger of getting dropped from makuuchi completely?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Anime Reference posted:

He's already 0-9 so demotion is guaranteed. If he went 0-15 would he be in danger of getting dropped from makuuchi completely?

Nah, he'll probably drop down to #10 or so. He went 9-4 as #4, so making GBS threads the bed for one tournament won't send him down to juryo. I'm sure he'll henka his way to a couple or few victories to soften the fall a little bit.

seorin posted:

Aran did alright last tournament. He went 9-6, which means he actually got promoted, and that's why he's had to face off against all the ozeki this tournament.

Only a yokozuna can't be demoted. Even ozeki aren't immune. The announcers were speculating yesterday that Harumafuji is starting to get in danger of demotion.

7 of the 9 wins being hatakikomi, and iirc at least 3 being outright henka. Dude is just getting bit in the rear end, so I have to confess schadenfreude on Aran myself. The recent henka backfire was especially delicious.

Harumafuji is in danger indeed since he's only 5-4 and hasn't faced most of the ozeki yet. However, he probably should have gotten the win against Gagamaru and 2 of his other losses were to giant-killers Toyohibiki and Myogiryu, so I think he should be able to pull off an 8-7. Will they outright him from ozeki after one tournament, or will he get a second chance?

The sumo org must be making GBS threads themselves at all the permanent kinboshi salary boosts from this tournament. I wonder where they'll draw the line before insisting on retirement.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

seorin posted:

My impression is that for an Ozeki to get demoted they'd have to have two bad tournaments in a row, barring something like going 2-13. Is that right?

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

TotallyGreen posted:

My impression is that for an Ozeki to get demoted they'd have to have two bad tournaments in a row, barring something like going 2-13. Is that right?

I don't actually know, but I'd like to! Fryhtaning knows way more about this stuff than I do; I've only been watching since September, and I watch entirely in Japanese, so a lot of stuff that I would probably understand if I watched in English just goes over my head.

Fryhtaning posted:

The sumo org must be making GBS threads themselves at all the permanent kinboshi salary boosts from this tournament. I wonder where they'll draw the line before insisting on retirement.

Oh wow, I didn't know about that. Do they get a boost for each kinboshi, or just the first? It was definitely Toyohibiki's first, but Toyonoshima had defeated Hakuho twice in the past, so I wonder if that counts.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

seorin posted:

Oh wow, I didn't know about that. Do they get a boost for each kinboshi, or just the first? It was definitely Toyohibiki's first, but Toyonoshima had defeated Hakuho twice in the past, so I wonder if that counts.

You get a boost for every kinboshi. However, I don't think Toyonoshima is eligible because he's Sekiwake. I believe only Maegashira are eligible for kinboshi.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

TotallyGreen posted:

You get a boost for every kinboshi. However, I don't think Toyonoshima is eligible because he's Sekiwake. I believe only Maegashira are eligible for kinboshi.

You're right, I totally blanked on that. I thought it was non-ozeki only, even though I have it in the drat OP as otherwise.

Hakuho has been beaten by a komusubi, both sekiwake, and one maegashira (Toyohibiki), so there has actually only been one kinboshi.

I think even with 0-15, you wouldn't get demoted from ozeki. Such demotions have been very rare. Any losing record puts you on "kadoban" (do or die), from which an 8-7 even puts you back in safety.

Dropping out early of course would put you on kadoban, which has happened to Kotooshu 4 times, for example. He followed up each with a winning record so he is still an ozeki for 6 years running as a result.

Harumafuji came close to being demoted last year when he dropped out and went 0-4-11, then followed up with an 8-7. He'd have been the first one to be actually demoted in a long time had he gone 7-8.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pYgTY_5kLE&list=UUsyhbQggi0M3t_DMePOLgSw&index=1&feature=plcp this is today's event.

I love Kintamayama for including the Takanoyama bouts, he knows what the people crave!

Looking forward to everyone's thoughts on this stuff. I thought Wakakouyuu/Yoshikaze was pretty exciting! And I guess Kitatatiki was desperate for a win.

Wendell fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 15, 2012

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Thanks for posting the stream, Wendell!

Kintamayama basically said most of what I could have. I especially agree with "twilight zone sumo" for a lot of those matches. Further thoughts:

After a brief slip yesterday, Takanoyama had a great match again today. Probably one of the least graceful wins I've ever seen, but with all his disadvantages, I figure he's allowed. It looks like he could still potentially make it back into makuuchi next tournament, but it's going to be an uphill battle.

Tochiozan has got to be pissed losing his tie for the lead to a move like that. It wasn't quite a hatakikomi, but it was close! Gagamaru actually had a good match today (or should I say Takekaze did). Regarding Aran's match, I was sad to see our schadenfreude train come to a brief halt today, but hopefully it continues along its way tomorrow. I was pretty happy to see Myogiryu win; I'm cheering for the guy now. Harumafuji's win was nice to see as well (and just plain cool). Kotoshogiku really didn't have much chance, but it's still always fun to see Baruto lift someone.

Ironically, I'm actually surprised Hakuho won tonight. Kakuryu just sat there and took it. After last tournament's performance, I'm pretty disappointed in his last two matches and I really hope he makes a comeback for his next couple. The tournament is looking very likely for Kisenosato at this point.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I do wonder about that Hakuho match. Is Hakuho just that overwhelming, or was Kakuryu not even trying?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Wendell posted:

I do wonder about that Hakuho match. Is Hakuho just that overwhelming, or was Kakuryu not even trying?

When Hakuho gets his arm under like that, it's game over. Just look at Kakuryu's left arm flopping uselessly in the air as he tries to make anything of it.

Yeah, Homasho losing to Aran was a double whammy. At least it was finally some good sumo from Aran, so we can't disrespect that too much. Homasho is on the wrong side of 30, so his best days are likely behind him.

A few amazing throws/tackles today, especially Harumafuji's. You could see him completely reverse gears on Goeido's move and transfer it all back against him.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
To expand on the Ozeki demotion thing, the only way it happens is if you get two make-koshi in a row, beyond the 8th loss the actual numbers don't matter. So if an Ozeki goes 0-15 in one tournament and 8-7 in the next, he's safe, but going 7-8 then 7-8 again would be a demotion. There's an additional rule that if a demoted Ozeki goes 10-5 or better in the tournament immediately after their demotion, they're automatically re-promoted. Otherwise they have to go through the same promotion qualifications as anyone else.

Ozeki demotion is actually pretty rare, especially as it usually happens to older wrestlers who'll immediately retire upon being demoted. The only ex-Ozeki still active is Miyabiyama, who peaked early, and got demoted at 23.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 15, 2012

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009
Takanoyama's matches are always so fun to watch. He really stuck with the leg move even though it looked like he was going to get flipped there for a second!

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Stream: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6icUhA_BeFE

Takanoyama: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-hOOHwRzZw

Today was the day that twilight zone sumo returned to normal sumo.

Comments:

Tokitenku's is relying on that kick too much now. I'm impressed that Myogiryu outsmarted Aminishiki; it's not so much his win as it is the way he won that was surprising. I'm really puzzled by Goeido's attempted henka - Takayasu hasn't been doing great, and Goeido probably would have won if he didn't try to be clever. Toyonoshima's victory pushes Tochiozan out of the running for yusho entirely, but that was expected to happen sooner or later.

Homasho vs. Baruto was some drat good sumo: Homasho put up a good fight, but Baruto stayed patient, didn't get too cocky, and transitioned a rocky start into yotsu-zumo, where he has the biggest advantage. Kotoshogiku needed that win, and I knew he was going to try for it on the lighter Harumafuji, because it was probably his best chance to go for it with his knee injury; bad news for Harumafuji, though, who sinks ever closer to make-koshi.

Kisenosato's match was obviously the focus of the night. He seems like he's starting to feel the pressure and I think he slipped up a bit. He never should have let Kakuryu get a belt grip in the first place, leading to the rematch. He did a much better job of that on the second attempt, and it's why he was able to win. It was definitely a match worth watching, and it was kind of funny to have Hakuho's extremely predictable victory over Kotooshu following it.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

seorin posted:

Homasho vs. Baruto was some drat good sumo: Homasho put up a good fight, but Baruto stayed patient, didn't get too cocky, and transitioned a rocky start into yotsu-zumo, where he has the biggest advantage. Kotoshogiku needed that win, and I knew he was going to try for it on the lighter Harumafuji, because it was probably his best chance to go for it with his knee injury; bad news for Harumafuji, though, who sinks ever closer to make-koshi.

Kisenosato's match was obviously the focus of the night. He seems like he's starting to feel the pressure and I think he slipped up a bit. He never should have let Kakuryu get a belt grip in the first place, leading to the rematch. He did a much better job of that on the second attempt, and it's why he was able to win. It was definitely a match worth watching, and it was kind of funny to have Hakuho's extremely predictable victory over Kotooshu following it.

Kakuryu went at him like a bull seeing red, so kudos to Kisenosato for keeping his cool and forcing the rematch. Kakuryu probably didn't have much left in the tank after that, so the outcome was all too predictable.

Foreigners Harumafuji and Kotooshu have got to be feeling the pressure now... and I'm sure the JP are torn on how they feel about that since they are two of the most-loved foreigners in sumo.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I can't imagine how pissed Kakuryu was after that.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Stream: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsGdvX4ccL0

Takanoyama: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXkwArFBfoU

Comments:
Kachi-koshi for Takanoyama! What an awesome win, too. Holy poo poo that took skill. Yikes, Tamaasuka hit his head or something and started bleeding mid-match and he was just covered in it by the end. He had blood streaming down his face, with little bits spattered on his chest and arm. That's probably the most blood I've seen in one match before. Shohozan vs. Yoshikaze was a great match on both of their parts (until the end, of course). Myogiryu's match was another good one; he has really good control.

Toyohibiki vs. Aminishiki was a well fought match, but the rematch was a bad call - it was very obviously Aminishiki that hit first on every angle of the replays, by a pretty wide margin. I've seen them make far closer calls without even a mono-ii, and their last two calls for a rematch were very reasonable (even the replays were unclear), but I can't agree with this one. This is the third rematch they've called in the last couple days and I wonder if it's a reaction to the number of bad calls they made earlier in the tournament.

Moving on, Homasho gave a really good performance today. Holy poo poo, Gagamaru managed to keep his balance for once! Tochiozan's victory was very well earned and would have made the tournament a lot more interesting if not for the match that followed. Speaking of which, Baruto continues to lose due to his own arrogance. He needs to stop standing up and keep his center of gravity lower. I feel for Harumafuji's loss, but that match really showed Kakuryu's versatility. The battle of the injured was unfortunately predictable and I kind of feel like Kotoshogiku should just bow out at this point.

As much as I'm fine with Kisenosato's likely yusho and think he's earned it, this tournament is not as exciting as the last one was at this point. It's still fun to watch, but the last two tournaments are really hard to top.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Does this mean Takanoyama will be moving back up to makuuchi?? Guy's like a yoyo.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Wendell posted:

Does this mean Takanoyama will be moving back up to makuuchi?? Guy's like a yoyo.
Not in and of itself. He'll move up the rankings for sure, but he's at Juryo 4 now, so he'll need some more wins to get back to Makuuchi. Barring some last-minute collapses in form, it doesn't look like many guys are going down to Juryo, so he'll probably need 2 wins over the last 3 days, maybe even all 3.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Has Kintamayama stopped posting the vids?

Nooooooo

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Gozinbulx posted:

Nooooooo

For some reason, I thought yskohyama was also in the OP. Need to add that one... (Edit: added.)

It's all in Japanese only, but if you can recognize faces or their names in kanji, his feed is as good as anyone's.

http://www.youtube.com/user/yskohyama

Day 13 is up and split into two sections. Obviously the more important ones will be in part 2.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 18, 2012

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Gozinbulx posted:

Nooooooo
No, he's just going to be a bit late in posting today's video. You can check his thread here: http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=29630 for updates.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

He's put it up now. I haven't watched yet, but the link is here for anyone else who wants it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6lTGbg7ZM-k

Edit: Holy poo poo, Toyohibiki/Shouhouzan ruled!

Wendell fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 18, 2012

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
I went to bed before the video was up; sorry this is late!

Here's Takanoyama's match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhRLeXpNEpg

Comments:
Kimikaze withdrew because of an injury to his right leg. That's very good fortune for Tamaasuka, who is now the sole leader of juryo after his auto-win today. Takanoyama had another awesome match and is tied with two others at 9-4, one loss behind Tamaasuka.

Is Wakakoyu seriously Japanese? He's pulled more henka/hatakikomi attempts this tournament than Aran. Toyohibiki vs. Shohozan was some drat good sumo. Kachi-koshi for Myogiryu, which bodes well for making the next tournament interesting if he keeps in good shape like this. He threw Takayasu so hard it caused an earthquake in Tokyo! Okay, maybe that was a coincidence, but you can't prove it. :colbert:

Look at the way Homasho keeps his center of gravity low and just pushes around Gagamaru, who can't resist because he's too fat upright. I hope Baruto was watching! Nope, guess not. Our tournament leaders are once again a three way tie, which is pretty incredible with only two days left.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Stream: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeRuS-L4uLk

Comments:

As much as I'm normally not a fan of a rikishi who uses the same technique over and over again, I can make an exception for Takanoyama's fantastic kakenage. :swoon:

Myogiryu really should have known better. I don't know why rikishi keep falling for that. I guess it's the same mystery behind Aran's favorite tactic (speaking of which...).

I'm actually really happy to see Kyokutenho still in the running for yusho. He broke into the biggest grin as soon as he got out of the ring; it was awesome. I'm hoping the old bastard gets the win. :3:

The way Kisenosato tossed Harumafuji even after he won was pretty excessive, I thought. Still, a three way tie going into tomorrow is very exciting!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Wow, how strong is Hakuhou to manhandle Baruto like that?

Kisenosato always has the smuggest face after his wins, so no matter what he does he's going to look like a dick.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Wendell posted:

Wow, how strong is Hakuhou to manhandle Baruto like that?

Kisenosato always has the smuggest face after his wins, so no matter what he does he's going to look like a dick.

He has the most asymmetrical face ever. Course, if you watch his final warmup routine, it shouldn't surprise you much (smacks his own face with enough force to break mine). He also has crazy Tourette, if you watch him closely. Between that and the :smug:, he's the ultimate goon rikishi.

Jesus, this basho is crazy. I've never seen it come down to the last day like this before. I want Kisenosato to win for the sake of sumo, because I want to see another yokozuna soon and that creates the best chance, but seeing Kyokutenho win it and going out on top would be pretty sweet too. That'll be pretty hosed up to see Tochiozan win the whole thing while only having to wrestle 3 of the top 7 wrestlers. When is the last time some rank-and-filer won just because the ozeki and yokozuna were too busy beating the poo poo out of each other? Either way, it'll be nice to see Hakuho not win it, which can only happen via playoff if all 3 of the leaders lose.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

This thread is fantastic, I had fallen out of touch with sumo over time (spent a year in Japan in 97-98, big fan of Kyokushuzan, Tochiazuma and Kaio) but the video summaries are great. Big thanks to everyone uploading them, and to the OP for this thread.

Now my only problem is to figure out who I should hope for now.... hmmm...

(edit: I guess it was obvious I was a fan of one of those I listed, heh)

Tochiazuma fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 19, 2012

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Tochiazuma posted:

Now my only problem is to figure out who I should hope for now.... hmmm...

It's all good as long as one of your chosen favourites is Takanoyama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
Takanoyama is pretty much guaranteed to be back in makuuchi next basho, right?