Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uinfuirudo
Aug 11, 2007
I can help out a little, Im not super knowledgeable but I used to watch sumo hungover all the time.

A lot of the famous foreign sumo wrestlers don't come from the most well known countries in Japan so Baruto being a top sumo wrestler would be pretty well known. Asashouryu and Kotooshu tend(ed) to get on tv more(mainly commercials). Sumo is the third largest popular sport in Japan after soccer and baseball so they do have a fairly large audience and the matches are also broadcasted in english by NHK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uinfuirudo
Aug 11, 2007
Sumo has growing popularity in eastern europe and mongolia, this mostly has to do with these countries having a fairly big background in wrestling, eastern europe being mainly greco-roman wrestling, and mongolia having Bökh

uinfuirudo
Aug 11, 2007

Fryhtaning posted:

That part alone is just a mind game that they play with each other.. a little bit of intimidation, kind of like the game baseball pitchers and batters play with each other between pitches. You'll notice that the judge will stand perpendicular to them and hold his fan away for the first round or two of leg stomps and staring at each other, etc... that's his way of saying it's not go time yet. When he stands wide and holds his fan out front, that means get ready and go. So they'll take one last chance and try to psyche each other out with the standing and squatting and not immediately putting both fists down. The only ritualistic parts once they're in the ring are the leg stomping, the salt, and the purification that some of them are entitled to (sipping water, washcloth).

Actually they do serve a ceremonial purpose, in theory the leg stomps are supposed to force evil spirits into the ground. Salt is meant as a means of purification.
Here is hakuho performing at a shinto temple http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Pfdoknn6Q even more interesting is that Hakuho is not a practitioner of shinto, which you might think would disqualify him from doing a shinto ritual; however that shrine is pretty much responsible for Buddhism in Japan.

uinfuirudo
Aug 11, 2007

AxeBreaker posted:

That paper was from 2002 and it took them 9 years to really try to clean house. It's still interesting but the problem won't get fixed until change the incentive to cheat.

I think four things are at work here. 1) Japanese resistance to foreign reporting. Which is not actually as high as this might make it sound. 2) The Japanese Legal system, and their methods. 3) The Japanese media's reluctance to report on unverified things. 4) The reality that no reasonable system would help winner/loser rikishi want that next win as much as the guy who needed it to decide whether he had more wins than losses or not. I could write an entire essay on this, but the reality is that there is minimal incentive to not cheat, and that there is no incentive to not let the 7-7 guy win if you are already locked in to a winning or losing record and not going to compete for the championship. Remember this is day 15 of a fairly stressful tournament with fairly easy to injure people, so there are hard to change realities that sit here. There is nothing you can do to make them not work harder to win that 8th one or not care about dropping their 4th to 7th, or 9th to 15th one in almost any tournament since it wouldn't really help them that much.

uinfuirudo fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Feb 6, 2012

uinfuirudo
Aug 11, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

Yeah, its a dumb thing to dump the sport about, it happens in every sport in the US come playoff time, with star players sitting out.

What I meant about that was that there was a reason that it took 9 years to get done, not that it was right.

uinfuirudo
Aug 11, 2007

Pvt. Public posted:

Takanoyama's fighting spirit is just inspiring. He clearly goes balls out into every match, but his massive size disadvantage just can't really be overcome by technique. Unless he wanted to cheap out and try the Aran way of winning, I guess...

He is definitely really entertaining to watch. Kakuryuu is looking really good, but I seriously dont think that anyone definitely can truly compete with Hakuhou right now hes just unbelievably good.

uinfuirudo
Aug 11, 2007
Man Harumafuji and Barutos match was disappointing, I really wish Baruto hadnt tripped so early on. This basho has been pretty good so far so its a minor complaint.

uinfuirudo
Aug 11, 2007

seorin posted:

That's what it looked like to me. Hakuho normally has a smugly satisfied look on his face after winning, but today he was practically gloating.

That might have been the biggest gently caress you in recent sumo history. Then again Kisenosato blatantly jumped the gun twice with Hakuhou's arm above his knee so he kind of deserved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uinfuirudo
Aug 11, 2007
drat Harumafuji has a pretty thick accent, I can only make out about 70% of his words.