Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Marching Powder posted:

Yeah this is about what I've found. A sumo guy died last year at 70 (still 10+ years earlier than the national average) and he was considered ancient. Like 3 guys died in their 50's last year, one in his 40's... Like, this poo poo is alarming. Sports science needs to be on this poo poo.

Who are you referring to and what were the causes of death? The most recent death I remember hearing about was Kakuryu's stablemaster, Izutsu-Oyakata and that was some kind of cancer (prostate I think?).

They don't tend to talk about this kind of thing on the official broadcasts, and as for sports science I feel like lately they're actually going backwards, I'm just gonna quote Wikipedia:

"Glossary of Sumo Terms posted:

kōshō seido (公傷制度)
Public Injury System. Introduced in 1972, this system allowed a wrestler who had been injured in the ring during a tournament to sit out the next tournament without any effect on his rank. It was abolished at the end of 2003 because it was felt too many wrestlers were missing tournaments with minor injuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Elissimpark posted:

detailed info

Thanks, I hadn't heard of most of these.

Marching Powder posted:

I'm referring to the guys in this video, skip to 7:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVkLFx0_MZ0

Ah yes, haven't kept with Chris' videos in a while, I didn't even realize Azumazeki-Oyakaya passed away too, drat.

Marching Powder posted:

If anyone has a spare few hundred thousand, I will give you a division 1 winner in about 5 years using only books I've bought on ebay and some heart rate monitors.

I totally believe you that you can fill a stable full of healthy guys funded somehow and they're gonna be there and be healthy and only fight when they're not injured, I just don't have any clue how those guys would end up climbing the ranks.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Marching Powder posted:

i was being hyperbolic in that i'd also need a nutritionist and a sumo head coach for technique purposes, but what do you think would be holding them back from the top division?

MMA fighters get injured all the time and either fight through it or reschedule the fight, Sumo isn't gonna get rescheduled around your injures, you don't show up it counts a loss.

Here's what a fall from the top looks like in Sumo, followed by a recovery of health and climb back up:

You know how Dominick Cruz has been sitting out for 3 years but if he does come back they're gonna put him against a top 15 opponent? Imagine if instead, he had to start back up from the regionals, send him to win 10 in a row in some random promotion before getting to fight in the UFC again.

That's Terunofuji, by the way, due to a combination of Diabetes and bad knees he went from the second highest rank to the second lowest division, starting this tournament he's finally climbed back up to be fighting 15 days again, we'll see how that goes.